Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blackste
    • By blackste 14th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 1,015Posts
    • 724Thanks
    blackste
    Prolific Academic - New Survey Alerts July 2017
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    Prolific Academic - New Survey Alerts July 2017 14th Jul 17 at 3:15 PM
    So after the old thread disappearing, this seems to be the new thread for discussion relating to prolific academy.

Standard rules please. No abusive posts, no flaming. Lets just make some money, and have some fun.
    Last edited by blackste; 14-07-2017 at 6:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Mortgage £242500 on completion
    FD CC 11/2014 £5900 (£3900 after BT)
    FD loan Approx £5700

Deeply depressing total - £254100
Page 76
    • zzzt
    • By zzzt 9th Oct 17, 2:36 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    zzzt
    Available Places : 12/201
    Avg. Completion Time : 8mins
    Avg. Reward Per Hour : £7.50/hr
    Maximum Allowed Time : 20mins
    Reward: £ 1.00

Beyond
    irritating but a quid's a quid, right?
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Was that the one that asked you to rate honey, coffee, beer and cupcakes on a shelf?

That was by far the worst survey I have ever done on prolific. I was so close to quitting multiple times. Every time I click next it was the same damn question, and it was totally meaningless. It was meaningless the first time. I had basically no opinion on how sweet the products looked in that black and white generic packaging, the only way I would know how sweet/bitter it looks is based on prior knowledge of whether honey is sweet or bitter. By the 20th(?) time it was ridiculous.

The researcher is an idiot and I doubt he will find anything interesting from this.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Oct 17, 2:46 PM
    • 2,327 Posts
    • 4,803 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Anyone know how to re-open a study once you have clicked "I've finished" and got a NOCODE, please?
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 9th Oct 17, 2:50 PM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 7,723 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Anyone know how to re-open a study once you have clicked "I've finished" and got a NOCODE, please?
    Assuming you just want to write a code in, then go to Manage Studies, click on the place where it says NOCODE - a dotted line should appear under it and then it will come up with a box, put the code in there and click the tick mark next to it.

If it's anything else, then I'm not sure how to do it.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    • 2,327 Posts
    • 4,803 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Assuming you just want to write a code in, then go to Manage Studies, click on the place where it says NOCODE - a dotted line should appear under it and then it will come up with a box, put the code in there and click the tick mark next to it.

If it's anything else, then I'm not sure how to do it.
    Originally posted by joeyjimbles

Thanks for trying to help, joeyjimbles but that is not what I meant. I had to stop the study somehow or it would have timed out due to a server error. Once one has done this, I know of no way to re-open it. The only time this has worked for me was when I left it running and risked timing out in the hope the error would be resolved before the study expired, so to speak. Guess I will just have to return it. Not impressed.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Oct 17, 3:14 PM
    • 2,327 Posts
    • 4,803 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Was that the one that asked you to rate honey, coffee, beer and cupcakes on a shelf?

That was by far the worst survey I have ever done on prolific. I was so close to quitting multiple times. Every time I click next it was the same damn question, and it was totally meaningless. It was meaningless the first time. I had basically no opinion on how sweet the products looked in that black and white generic packaging, the only way I would know how sweet/bitter it looks is based on prior knowledge of whether honey is sweet or bitter. By the 20th(?) time it was ridiculous.

The researcher is an idiot and I doubt he will find anything interesting from this.
    Originally posted by zzzt

What you said, zzzt but at least this one's study worked and has been paid already. I'll take boredom over the frustration of dealing with incompetence any day if I am paid to do so. There really should be provision for us to pause a survey and return to it if there are technical problems over which we have no control, imho.
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 9th Oct 17, 3:38 PM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 7,723 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Sorry, I've never managed to sort access like that either without restarting the survey, which isn't always an option.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Oct 17, 3:42 PM
    • 2,327 Posts
    • 4,803 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I have no idea how to restart a survey without leaving it running and risking it timing out. Does anyone know differently?
    • Mrs Soup
    • By Mrs Soup 9th Oct 17, 3:52 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    Mrs Soup
    I have managed this a couple of times so long as the study itself had opened up in a new window (eg Qualtrics or whatever) and I have left that tab open on my PC. I have done that a couple of times when I've had technical trouble with a survey. And it only works if the researcher hasn't closed the survey which they sometimes do. I don't think I have managed to get back in to restart if I have closed everything AND clicked I've finished.
    • tonycarew
    • By tonycarew 9th Oct 17, 3:57 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    tonycarew

Hi....this is what I've tried :- Dashboard-Manage studies-Study-click on the required study heading in the study column-then click on the start study green box.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    • 2,327 Posts
    • 4,803 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Thanks but I did try that and had variously, "you have already completed this study" or "the researcher has paused this study."

Thanks to you, too, Mrs Soup.
    • Tigger looks bigger
    • By Tigger looks bigger 9th Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Tigger looks bigger
    survey.msd.DELETE ME/index.php/912448?lang=en
    and replace with =ox dot ac dot uk

sorry can someone fix that- still won't let me post links.

smodlet- That's the link for the wellbeing survey that was being difficult earlier. If you submitted manually earlier and got a no code. complete your survey ( if it's still working) and you can manually add the cc ( completion code) from the link at the end as joeyj descibes above
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    • 2,327 Posts
    • 4,803 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Thanks and welcome, Tigger looks bigger, but I am still seeing "paused by the researcher" and, when I don't see that, "you have already completed this study".

I have not returned it yet though no doubt I will have to, to avoid rejection but hold out very little hope I will be invited to do it again by the researcher. Such is life and, if my submission is rejected, I will ask PA to change it to "returned" since it is beyond my control.

Here's hoping these researchers get a clue soon and stop messing us all about like this. It is high time we got some decent studies and started making some money without all this excrement.
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 9th Oct 17, 7:50 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    mikep22
    Available Places : 14/46
    Avg. Completion Time : 3mins
    Avg. Reward Per Hour : £4.00/hr
    Maximum Allowed Time : 10mins
    Reward: £ 0.20

But will link to more in the future...
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606
    • Tigger looks bigger
    • By Tigger looks bigger 9th Oct 17, 10:43 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Tigger looks bigger
    that's odd if I put that link in I can still go through the survey so it's still active. You don't need to go onto the prolific website to do it. That's a direct link to the actual survey so bypasses the issue of pa thinking you've already done the survey.
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 9th Oct 17, 10:48 PM
    • 3,817 Posts
    • 73,796 Thanks
    Chrisv
    that's odd if I put that link in I can still go through the survey so it's still active. You don't need to go onto the prolific website to do it. That's a direct link to the actual survey so bypasses the issue of pa thinking you've already done the survey.
    Originally posted by Tigger looks bigger
    I've sent you a PM Tigger
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it – Donald Horban
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 9th Oct 17, 11:45 PM
    • 3,817 Posts
    • 73,796 Thanks
    Chrisv
    Thanks and welcome, Tigger looks bigger, but I am still seeing "paused by the researcher" and, when I don't see that, "you have already completed this study".

I have not returned it yet though no doubt I will have to, to avoid rejection but hold out very little hope I will be invited to do it again by the researcher. Such is life and, if my submission is rejected, I will ask PA to change it to "returned" since it is beyond my control.

Here's hoping these researchers get a clue soon and stop messing us all about like this. It is high time we got some decent studies and started making some money without all this excrement.
    Here's Tigger's link Smodlet, if you want to give it a go.

https://survey.msd.ox.ac.uk/index.php/912448

Thanks Tigger
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it – Donald Horban
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 10th Oct 17, 7:23 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    mikep22
    Factors that Affect Leadership
    Hosted by : Mazlan Maskor
    Reward : £ 1.67
    Avg. Reward Per Hour : £8.35/hr
    Available Places : 191/371
    Maximum Allowed Time : 60mins
    Avg. Completion Time : 12mins

"Strong and Stable"....
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 10th Oct 17, 9:32 AM
    • 2,327 Posts
    • 4,803 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Chrisv and Tigger looks bigger, thank you so much. Done it! Gods, was it boring but I done done it. You guys rock.

How on earth did you find the link, Tigger?
    • Tigger looks bigger
    • By Tigger looks bigger 10th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Tigger looks bigger
    It was in my history from doing it earlier I remembered it had an odd little green symbol so not difficult to find thanks to Chrisv for getting the link working

I'd had the same probs with it as everyone else. Like you I submitted it without completing before timing out then finished it when it was working. You can normally bookmark the survey link if you 'open in another window' even if it won't load at the time. Then go back and do it later as long as you submit it on PA or your space will reopen back up to someone else when you time out.

Doesn't always work as the researchers sometimes close the survey link as well, but it works more times than it doesn't. And means you don't have to give up your spot on a survey because a researcher hasn't got it up and running properly.

Can always cancel and return it on your survey screen later if you can't get back in so you don't get a rejection.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 10th Oct 17, 10:53 AM
    • 2,327 Posts
    • 4,803 Thanks
    Smodlet
    You guys rock! Thank you so much for explaining it so well, Tigger (do you mind if I call you Tigger? You may call me Smod if you like... Is this getting pervy? ) and well done to Chrisv for making it work. You are all so clever and kind to the technically challenged. I have just been paid for that one. I feel as if I should send you £1 each!

I shall copy and save your post to add to my list of destructions begun by GreyAndGold and Mrs Soup, for dealing with the Circle of Hell.

Thanks again to both of you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

212Posts Today

1,251Users online

Martin's Twitter