Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blackste
    • By blackste 14th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 1,015Posts
    • 724Thanks
    blackste
    Prolific Academic - New Survey Alerts July 2017
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    Prolific Academic - New Survey Alerts July 2017 14th Jul 17 at 3:15 PM
    So after the old thread disappearing, this seems to be the new thread for discussion relating to prolific academy.

Standard rules please. No abusive posts, no flaming. Lets just make some money, and have some fun.
    Last edited by blackste; 14-07-2017 at 6:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Mortgage £242500 on completion
    FD CC 11/2014 £5900 (£3900 after BT)
    FD loan Approx £5700

Deeply depressing total - £254100
Page 68
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 2nd Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 4,800 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Sorry to hear about your flat situation, AprilLady and really hope you get sorted very soon; please keep us posted. I am sure you will find something soon, maybe even better and you know the landlord cannot just tell you to leave, don't you? It all has to be by the book and takes months if you don't just leave when told. Tons of advice on here if you need it.

Please also wish me luck with my cat, who I think is very ill; he just will not eat except a little bit of white fish. He is going to the vet's this p.m. so if you could spare some positive vibes around 4 o'clock, it would be very much appreciated and I will keep sending them your way. Best of luck.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • AprilLady
    • By AprilLady 2nd Oct 17, 1:20 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 4,494 Thanks
    AprilLady
    Aw, Smodlet, so sorry to hear about you cat. Will send lots of healing kitty vibes his way this afternoon.

Yes, it's all being done properly - have to be out by 1st Dec and have just received my official notice to quit. Just really worried as rents have gone up a huge amount since I last moved and my income hasn't. Tried to go to Citizens Advice last week but the first appointment they had was the 19th Oct! Am going to try phoning Shelter this afternoon.

Sorry for going off topic!
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 2nd Oct 17, 1:34 PM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 4,800 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I, too have gone off topic but, if we can't offer each other a little moral support, what's the point, say I? Thank you for the vibes.

If you do find you need advice, G_M is a mine of information on the housing boards and usually very helpful.

I'm no authority but I believe that, even if you work full time, there might be something you can claim towards housing costs. Again, the relevant boards are a much better source of information than I am.
    Last edited by Smodlet; 02-10-2017 at 1:36 PM.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • MLE007
    • By MLE007 2nd Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 1,599 Thanks
    MLE007
    Hope your poorly cat feels better soon Smodlet, no worries with going off topic as PA is hardly giving us much convo at the moment!
    SPC #015

2017 in 2017 £4385.09
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 2nd Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 4,800 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Thank you, MLE007.
    • AprilLady
    • By AprilLady 2nd Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 4,494 Thanks
    AprilLady
    I, too have gone off topic but, if we can't offer each other a little moral support, what's the point, say I? Thank you for the vibes.

If you do find you need advice, G_M is a mine of information on the housing boards and usually very helpful.

I'm no authority but I believe that, even if you work full time, there might be something you can claim towards housing costs. Again, the relevant boards are a much better source of information than I am.
    Originally posted by Smodlet

Thanks Smodlet. All very long and complicated, but I'm stuck in a tricky situation at the moment with working part time and being at college part time, so I'm getting a bit of housing benefit - which stops me applying for a lot of places that won't accept that! If I work more, I won't have enough time for college work etc, so I had been hoping to muddle along til I graduated, but the landlord selling has put a spanner in the works!

*healing kitty vibes*

p.s. just had a survey!!!!
    • Merlin's Beard
    • By Merlin's Beard 2nd Oct 17, 4:43 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    Merlin's Beard
    Fingers crossed! My landlord has just told me he wants to sell my flat, so I'm going to need all the money I can get for moving!
    Originally posted by AprilLady
    Urgh, good luck with finding somewhere - it's horribly stressful being told you've got to get out within X weeks and it's even worse trying to find somewhere if you're not the "perfect" tenant on paper, even if you are in reality!

Sorry to hear about your flat situation, AprilLady and really hope you get sorted very soon; please keep us posted. I am sure you will find something soon, maybe even better and you know the landlord cannot just tell you to leave, don't you? It all has to be by the book and takes months if you don't just leave when told. Tons of advice on here if you need it.

Please also wish me luck with my cat, who I think is very ill; he just will not eat except a little bit of white fish. He is going to the vet's this p.m. so if you could spare some positive vibes around 4 o'clock, it would be very much appreciated and I will keep sending them your way. Best of luck.
    Hope all has gone well with the vets, Smodlet!
    Grocery Challenge June 17 onward; aim: £100/month; leftovers to date: £8.79
    • sonicology
    • By sonicology 2nd Oct 17, 5:21 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    sonicology
    Sorry to hear about your cat Smodlet, my cat has also been very ill so I know exactly the stress and constant worry you are going through. Please feel free to send me a private message if you feel you need to talk about it.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 2nd Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 4,800 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Thanks Smodlet. All very long and complicated, but I'm stuck in a tricky situation at the moment with working part time and being at college part time, so I'm getting a bit of housing benefit - which stops me applying for a lot of places that won't accept that! If I work more, I won't have enough time for college work etc, so I had been hoping to muddle along til I graduated, but the landlord selling has put a spanner in the works!

*healing kitty vibes*

p.s. just had a survey!!!!
    Urgh, good luck with finding somewhere - it's horribly stressful being told you've got to get out within X weeks and it's even worse trying to find somewhere if you're not the "perfect" tenant on paper, even if you are in reality!

Hope all has gone well with the vets, Smodlet!
    Originally posted by Merlin's Beard

Thanks so much, you guys, MLE007, sonicology, that is really kind. He is 18 so no spring chicken and apparently has terrible teeth and may (probably does) have kidney problems... Blood tests tomorrow as he had eaten a little this p.m. He needs sedation as he still has no problem letting vets know what he thinks of them! Here's hoping he fights on.

AprilLady, I feel for you, I really do. Our whole system in this country is skewed, imho. If you try to gain further qualifications to better your prospects, you are penalised. If you work instead of just relying on benefits, you are penalised. It is not right or fair. Please don't lose heart and stick with your studies if at all possible. I am sure you have thought of all this but any use networking with colleagues/fellow students regarding accommodation? Please keep us posted or, if others on this thread object to the digression, PM me or direct me to another thread, please?

Thanks again, all.
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 2nd Oct 17, 6:52 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    Did other people not get a code for the study 'A study on reliability of sources'?
    • AprilLady
    • By AprilLady 2nd Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 4,494 Thanks
    AprilLady
    I'm afraid I got distracted by something and didn't make it to the end of that one in time, Marvqn!

Thanks all, you're such a nice bunch!

Urgh, good luck with finding somewhere - it's horribly stressful being told you've got to get out within X weeks and it's even worse trying to find somewhere if you're not the "perfect" tenant on paper, even if you are in reality
    Originally posted by Merlin's Beard
    That's just it - I can provide good character, employer, and letting agent references and have never missed a rent payment in 10+ years of renting, but on paper I look like a big risk!

He needs sedation as he still has no problem letting vets know what he thinks of them! Here's hoping he fights on.

AprilLady, I feel for you, I really do. Our whole system in this country is skewed, imho. If you try to gain further qualifications to better your prospects, you are penalised. If you work instead of just relying on benefits, you are penalised. It is not right or fair. Please don't lose heart and stick with your studies if at all possible. I am sure you have thought of all this but any use networking with colleagues/fellow students regarding accommodation? Please keep us posted or, if others on this thread object to the digression, PM me or direct me to another thread, please?

Thanks again, all.
    Hope all goes well with the blood tests tomorrow. One of my parents' cats once had the vet running around the surgery trying to catch her and then she bit the him, haha!
    I know - I feel stuffed whatever I try to do. College was supposed to be leading me to better work, but I'm stuck in limbo land til I get there! Have signed up to alerts for all the letting sites and have asked people at work etc. I really want to stay in the same area as it's walking distance to college and work though. Tears have been shed and sleep has been lost, but hope something works in the end.

Anyhoo...
    Last edited by AprilLady; 02-10-2017 at 7:07 PM.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 2nd Oct 17, 7:12 PM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 4,800 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I know it's hard, I have been there and I bet many of our co-PA-ers have, too. Getting on a bus, even two different ones is not the end of the world, if inconvenient. Once, I got a bus to a metro station, travelled to another metro station then caught another bus to work each way. I was much younger then but it is doable and it would not be permanent, huh? Maybe spread your location net wider, however much you don't want to. It is surprising how much more you can get for your money if you are willing to compromise on location; all the property progs say so and so I have found. Best of luck, AprilLady; you will come through.
    • MissPop
    • By MissPop 2nd Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 1,212 Thanks
    MissPop
    Did other people not get a code for the study 'A study on reliability of sources'?
    Originally posted by Marvqn1
    Yeah, I saw a code (didn't think to make a note of it though) but it didn't redirect properly for me and I had to click "I'm finished" so got a NOCODE.
    Make £2017 in 2017 - £1302.50/£2017

2017 totals
    GiftHulk - $125 | Swagbucks - £350
    Prolific Academic - £272.23 | Valued Opinions - £40
    • Merlin's Beard
    • By Merlin's Beard 2nd Oct 17, 10:14 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    Merlin's Beard
    I'm another one who got a NOCODE at the end of that one.

Good luck tomorrow Smodlet, hopefully they find something they can do something about.

AprilLady - spreading your net wider is a good idea, especially if you can find somewhere cheap enough to offset the transport costs. There's definitely more time than you think and more hope than you think - remember, because renters only have to give 4 weeks notice, anyone leaving from the start of November onwards won't even have told their landlord yet, yet alone given the landlord enough time to list the property! New stuff will be available all the time.

It might also be worth telephoning about properties you're interested in, and asking if there's any leeway with the DSS - explain it's a top up because you're a student, and that it's temporary until you finish your studies, offer to provide ten years of references. Even if only 1 in 10 letting agents/landlords will listen it gives you more options. That's how I got the cat into a flat that was advertised as "strictly no pets" - by bargaining and claiming exceptional circumstances!
    Grocery Challenge June 17 onward; aim: £100/month; leftovers to date: £8.79
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 3rd Oct 17, 4:54 AM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 4,800 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Thank you so much, Merlin's Beard; what a lovely post. AprilLady is right, you are a lovely bunch of people.

AprilLady, how does your LL know he/she is not going to sell to a BTL landlord who might be delighted to have a really good tenant already in situ? Any room for negotiation there? Just a thought.
    Last edited by Smodlet; 03-10-2017 at 5:28 AM.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 3rd Oct 17, 8:12 AM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 4,800 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Available Places : 14/100
    Avg. Completion Time : 17mins
    Avg. Reward Per Hour : £8.83/hr
    Reward Per Hour estimated by researcher: £6.00/hr
    Maximum Allowed Time : 60mins
    Reward: £ 2.50
    • LadyMorticia
    • By LadyMorticia 3rd Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    • 19,113 Posts
    • 86,495 Thanks
    LadyMorticia
    I got a NOCODE on the reliability of sources one too. x
    November wins: Mighty Micros: Spider-Man Vs Scorpion pack
    Win £2017 in 2017: £1608.79/£2017
    50 Challenges: 39/50
    • fluffig
    • By fluffig 3rd Oct 17, 11:09 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    fluffig
    I feel stuffed whatever I try to do. College was supposed to be leading me to better work, but I'm stuck in limbo land til I get there! Have signed up to alerts for all the letting sites and have asked people at work etc. I really want to stay in the same area as it's walking distance to college and work though. Tears have been shed and sleep has been lost, but hope something works in the end.

Anyhoo...
    Just read this. *hug* xx
    • romanovski
    • By romanovski 3rd Oct 17, 11:13 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    romanovski
    Crime survey

Available Places : 341/550
    Avg. Completion Time : 11mins
    Avg. Reward Per Hour : £4.64/hr
    Reward Per Hour estimated by researcher: £5.10/hr
    Maximum Allowed Time : 60mins
    Reward: £ 0.85

Dare I say it, but the studies appear to be coming through again, i've had 5 or so in the last few days
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 3rd Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    • 5,513 Posts
    • 23,148 Thanks
    Mirů
    Hope this isn't a stupid question but is there a way of emailing a researcher rather than messaging through the site? I need to attach a photo file but can't see a way of doing it?!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,419Posts Today

4,613Users online

Martin's Twitter