Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkpinkfizz
    • By pinkpinkfizz 14th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 530Posts
    • 294Thanks
    pinkpinkfizz
    Advice please
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    Advice please 14th Jul 17 at 3:03 PM
    My 15 year old daughter gets DLA high rate care, but her health has deteriorated since her award in December 2016.

She is now unable to be left unattended at all as she is scared to be alone. She's also afraid to go outside alone, she'll sometimes agree to come in the car with me but we have to arrange where and how long before we leave, and if she has a panic attack then we have to come home immediately. Even the most simple things like going for food shopping are almost impossible now.

I normally work in education although I'm on summer leave which means I'm able to provide the level of care she needs, however I have no idea what I'm going to do when it's time to go back to work?

Can anyone give me advice on benefits, or anything at all that might make things less stressful?

Currently we get child tax credit, and I've just put in a claim for carers allowance as I'm not earning any money over the schools summer break, but I know this isn't enough for us to live on.

I'm a homeowner (mortgage) and a single parent with no other dependant children.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    pinkpinkfizz

I MSE
Page 1
    • venison
    • By venison 14th Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    venison
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    One thing comes to mind does her dad provide any help or financial help? and if not why not ?
    If you were to quit work totally you maybe able to claim Income Support when you get carers allowance, and in 9 months time help with your mortgage, and sooner than that help with council tax. Your best bet might be an appointment with CAB.
    #WeStandTogether
    • pinkpinkfizz
    • By pinkpinkfizz 14th Jul 17, 11:24 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    pinkpinkfizz
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:24 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:24 PM
    One thing comes to mind does her dad provide any help or financial help? and if not why not ?
    Originally posted by venison
    My ex-husband is an abusive drunk, so we have no support from him as it's safer to keep him out of our lives.

Thanks for the advice about CAB
    pinkpinkfizz

I MSE
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 15th Jul 17, 6:54 AM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:54 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:54 AM
    My 15 year old daughter gets DLA high rate care, but her health has deteriorated since her award in December 2016.

She is now unable to be left unattended at all as she is scared to be alone. She's also afraid to go outside alone, she'll sometimes agree to come in the car with me but we have to arrange where and how long before we leave, and if she has a panic attack then we have to come home immediately. Even the most simple things like going for food shopping are almost impossible now.

I normally work in education although I'm on summer leave which means I'm able to provide the level of care she needs, however I have no idea what I'm going to do when it's time to go back to work?

Can anyone give me advice on benefits, or anything at all that might make things less stressful?

Currently we get child tax credit, and I've just put in a claim for carers allowance as I'm not earning any money over the schools summer break, but I know this isn't enough for us to live on.

I'm a homeowner (mortgage) and a single parent with no other dependant children.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Originally posted by pinkpinkfizz
    You should also be getting extra child tax credits because of your daughters DLA award, i'm assuming you are? Venison is right about your mortgage, it's 9 months wait for interest only payments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

864Posts Today

7,271Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin