Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Returntosender
    • By Returntosender 14th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 10Thanks
    Returntosender
    FTB survey results
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    FTB survey results 14th Jul 17 at 1:55 PM
    We had our building survey (full structural) last week and now I'm faced with issues we hadn't anticipated. Things like replacing 30 year old fuse boards, broken cement flashing, cement pointing and structural movement issues.

Is it normal to need access to the property to get quotes from builders for the work that needs carrying out? Can I ask my estate agent to let the builders in? Is that okay? (new to all this!)

Also, how much is too much to negotiate off our original offer, after having a survey come back with very expensive issues that weren't mentioned on the first or second viewings?

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 40,067 Posts
    • 45,755 Thanks
    G_M
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    Much more info needed eg age of property, general condition, type of owner, etc.
    However
    .... Things like replacing 30 year old fuse boards,
    Old fuse-wire style? Yes, replace. New consumer units cost about £60 + labour, but the chances are you'll need to re-wire the whole house.......
    Get an electrician's inspection?
    broken cement flashing,
    depends how extensive but a man on a ladder for a day? £150?
    cement pointing
    depends how extensive but a man for 1 - 3 days?
    and structural movement issues.
    ???? Historic? Ongoing? Cause?........

Is it normal to need access to the property to get quotes from builders for the work that needs carrying out?
    Yes - how else can you get quotes
    Can I ask my estate agent to let the builders in? Is that okay? (new to all this!)
    He's not 'your' estate agent, he's the seller's estate agent. It's up to the seller who he lets in, how and when. Ask the seller's agent how to arrange access.

Also, how much is too much to negotiate off our original offer, after having a survey come back with very expensive issues that weren't mentioned on the first or second viewings?

Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by Returntosender
    How much is too much for who?

For you, it's fair to try to reduce the rice by the amount of any repairs for things you would not have known about on viewing.

For the seller, it depends how desperate they are to sell, whether they have a queue of potential buyers, whether reducing the price will put them into negative equity, and a host of other factors.
    • Returntosender
    • By Returntosender 14th Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Returntosender
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    It's a 2 bed victorian mid-terrace.

We've been quoted over a thousand pounds for the cement flashing to be removed and replaced with lead. The surveyor estimated between £2-5k for the roof work. - it won't be 'man on a ladder' - it'll be scaffolding, hence the expense.
    We've been quoted around £500 for a new fuse board.
    We've had builders say they won't give me a quote on a house we haven't bought yet, without paying a deposit that comes off the cost of the work if/when we do purchase the house and have the work done. Is that normal?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

872Posts Today

6,587Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin