Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lookingforcash
    • By Lookingforcash 14th Jul 17, 1:46 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lookingforcash
    Is there a time limit on a PCN?
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:46 PM
    Is there a time limit on a PCN? 14th Jul 17 at 1:46 PM
    An alleged overstay at a car park was issued to a friend in a hired car in Wales. He lives overseas but was visiting me in the UK at the time and provided my address to the car hire company. This was in 2010 and he had returned home when the PCN arrived.

After returning a couple of letters - with not at this address I opened them and phoned the company. I gave my friend's address (outside EU) and was told by the person on the telephone that they couldn't pursue the charge.

Last year Sept 2016 - I received another letter from a solicitor again asking for payment. I telephoned and offered them my friend's address - again was told they wouldn't pursue as it was outside the EU.

I should state the solicitor is bw legal and it is Excel Parking Services Ltd.

I have just returned home from holiday to find 2 further Final Demands from this solicitor warning of potential court action. I again phoned and they said they would put a note on file.

I have 2 questions - how can I stop this harassment from the parking company?
    Is there some statutes of limitation when they can no longer press this claim?
    Last edited by Lookingforcash; 14-07-2017 at 1:49 PM. Reason: additional information added
Page 1
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 51,504 Posts
    • 65,103 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    Please, stop PHONING!

Where is your paper trail, proving you gave the name & address of the driver? Nowhere. So create one now! You will end up sued with no paper trail to show you transferred liability before the claim.

Do it TODAY. Never ever phone a parking firm, debt collector or solicitor for a parking firm.

They have six years to bring this to court and you have not properly 'given' the other name/address. Your phone calls are nowhere and unprovable.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Johno100
    • By Johno100 14th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 3,417 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    Please, stop PHONING!

Where is your paper trail, proving you gave the name & address of the driver? Nowhere. So create one now! You will end up sued with no paper trail to show you transferred liability before the claim.

Do it TODAY. Never ever phone a parking firm, debt collector or solicitor for a parking firm.

They have six years to bring this to court and you have not properly 'given' the other name/address. Your phone calls are nowhere and unprovable.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    2010 is over six years ago so the debt is statute barred already.

As I read the OP the correspondence is not addressed to him/her and neither were they the hirer. They are simply receiving it as their's is the correspondence address his friend gave the hire company.

I'm reasonably sure that even BW Legal wouldn't try and issue proceedings out of time and if they did it wouldn't get very far through the court system before it was picked up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,597Posts Today

9,849Users online

Martin's Twitter