Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 14th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    • 24,845Posts
    • 306,473Thanks
    davemorton
    Does house have 3 or 4 bedrooms?
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    Does house have 3 or 4 bedrooms? 14th Jul 17 at 1:37 PM
    Probably a stupid question, but I will ask it anyway.
    When I bought my house 10 years ago, there was a room downstairs that I presume was not built when the rest of the house was built and has been getting used as a bedroom.
    I am not sure if it is a garage that has been enlarged and converted, or just an extension.
    Anyway, this room had a toilet and sink in a room next to it. I have since internally extended this room and added a shower.
    So, what we have now is a large room (say 7mx7m) with a small 3m long corridor leading to a shower/toilet room.
    The room has 2 windows, 2 external doors (one in the main room, one at the end of the corridor) and an internal door leading to the kitchen.
    The house has 3 bedrooms upstairs, but when I come to sell the house, would I market it as having 3 bedrooms, or 4?

Sorry for the ramble, just found it a little hard to describe.
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 14th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    • 36,042 Posts
    • 152,232 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    Usually a 4th bedroom downstairs is described as 'dining room/ 4th bedroom'. shows the versility of the room and also it means you don't get your time wasted by viewers who only want 4 upstairs bedrooms.
    • cattie
    • By cattie 14th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    • 7,736 Posts
    • 5,263 Thanks
    cattie
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    The ea selling the property as to the best way to market the property as they should know the best kind of description that would attract potential buyers to the house in that area.

Seeing as it has it's own shower etc. the room could be described as suitable for a an elderly relative or somebody with disabilities. But then it would be perfect for other uses other than a bedroom- a home office for example or craft room, teenagers den etc. So if it were me I'd have a word with a local ea to get an idea of the way they would market the house.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 14th Jul 17, 2:03 PM
    • 24,845 Posts
    • 306,473 Thanks
    davemorton
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:03 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:03 PM
    Cheers for both replies. The house already has a separate dining room so would have to think of another name for it. As suggested, will speak to EA to see what they say.
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • Lurkingtoposting17
    • By Lurkingtoposting17 14th Jul 17, 2:08 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Lurkingtoposting17
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:08 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:08 PM
    Sounds like a "granny flat" to me!
    I reckon speak to the EA and see how they would market it, you haven't mentioned how you are using it, so if they EA thinks it would be popular as a potential room for a tenant/adult moving home to parents whilst they save (due to own entrance) you could quickly decorate and furnish it as such. It kind of depends surely on your local market. If lots of young families/good schools they may love it as a playroom, but if commutable to major city a spare room for a boomerang kid with own access/bathroom would likely sell.
    • Returntosender
    • By Returntosender 14th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Returntosender
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    We viewed a "3 bedroom house" to find that it had 2 bedrooms upstairs and the living room had a bed in it.

Estate agents will happily market anything lol.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 14th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 24,845 Posts
    • 306,473 Thanks
    davemorton
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    We viewed a "3 bedroom house" to find that it had 2 bedrooms upstairs and the living room had a bed in it.

Estate agents will happily market anything lol.
    Originally posted by Returntosender
    Yeah, read a thread on here not so long ago, hence why I described it so much in depth. House still also has all the normal rooms (living room, dining room etc.)
    • Returntosender
    • By Returntosender 14th Jul 17, 2:21 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Returntosender
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:21 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:21 PM
    If it still has a separate living room and dining room, then I would market it as a 4th bedroom. Some people will be happy with a room downstairs, some won't, but it's still technically a bedroom, rather than a living room with a bed in it! If I was selling, I would make sure the listing clearly stated 3 beds upstairs, one downstairs as I wouldn't view a house that has a bedroom downstairs, personally.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 14th Jul 17, 2:59 PM
    • 9,898 Posts
    • 7,960 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:59 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:59 PM
    7m x 7m is absolutely huge! Easily big enough for a bedsit or "studio". Even with a "Queen size" double bed, there's still 46 sq m of space!
    Last edited by lincroft1710; 14-07-2017 at 3:01 PM.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 14th Jul 17, 3:24 PM
    • 24,845 Posts
    • 306,473 Thanks
    davemorton
    7m x 7m is absolutely huge! Easily big enough for a bedsit or "studio". Even with a "Queen size" double bed, there's still 46 sq m of space!
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Had to go and actually measure after you said that, and as is usually the case with males, I over-estimated, its 4m x 6.5m.
    Typical me
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 14th Jul 17, 3:28 PM
    • 9,898 Posts
    • 7,960 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Had to go and actually measure after you said that, and as is usually the case with males, I over-estimated, its 4m x 6.5m.
    Typical me
    Originally posted by davemorton
    Haha! It's still twice the size of the average double bedroom in most modern houses.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 14th Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    • 2,577 Posts
    • 2,891 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    I'd want the ad to say 4 bedroom house so you get interest from families. Then say whatever you like in the details.
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 14th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    Typical me
    Still bigger than any of the bedrooms in the house I'm buying!
    • Cheeseface
    • By Cheeseface 14th Jul 17, 5:19 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    Cheeseface
    I looked at a house like that and it was marketed as"guest suite"
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 14th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 6,393 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Our last house had a similar room/set-up. It was a Georgian house with a 1980s extension that included a 8m x 3.5m (approx) room with adjacent bathroom.

When we purchased in 2011 it was described as a granny annex.

In addition, the house had five bedrooms over the second and third floors as well as three ground floor reception rooms - but no kitchen, lol

We reconfigured the property and built a large kitchen extension. When we sold in 2014, our EA described the former annex as 'family room/bedroom five' (we'd converted a first floor bedroom into another bathroom) and suggested it would be suitable for ageing relative or teenager as we'd retained the ensuite, albeit converted to a shower room. When staging the house for sale we dressed all upper bedrooms with beds etc, but not the family room.

The house we had before that actually had only two upstairs bedrooms and five ground floor reception rooms - plus a conservatory - in addition to the kitchen and two bathrooms. The vendor's EA described it as a five bed house with two receptions. We only used the two upstairs rooms as bedrooms and the rest were music room, study, library etc. When we sold we described it the same way. Our buyers had three kids - and have since had a further two - so they utilise some of the ground floor rooms as bedrooms.
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 14th Jul 17, 5:54 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    Our master bedroom with en suite bathroom is downstairs, suits us fine. We have a dining room and study as well plus the main bathroom. 3 double bedrooms upstairs and a bathroom.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 14th Jul 17, 6:05 PM
    • 9,040 Posts
    • 11,959 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    Typical me
    OK as a double room:

What is often forgotten is there are minimum sizes for bedrooms, something so many estate agents & letting agents seem unaware of: They apply to all properties, be they owner-occupied, council tenancies or private lets...

The minimum floor area considered enough for your family is:
    • 50 - 69 square feet (4.6 - 6.4 square metres) for 0.5 people
    • 70 - 89 square feet (6.5 - 8.3 square metres) for 1 person
    • 90 - 109 square feet (8.4 -10.1 square metres) for 1.5 people
    • 110 square feet (10.2 square metres) for 2 people..
    0.5 people btw is a child between 1 & 10 yrs old. See
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/overcrowding
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

2,076Users online

Martin's Twitter