Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 14th Jul 17, 12:50 PM
    • 491Posts
    • 188Thanks
    sevenhills
    Buildings insurance, cheap or full cover?
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:50 PM
    Buildings insurance, cheap or full cover? 14th Jul 17 at 12:50 PM
    I have never been one for insurance, you pay your money every month/year and overall, they give you it back in the form of a claim.
    Now I am buying a house, I must get buildings insurance.
    So do I just go with the cheapest quote, as I am not expecting a flood or earth quake.
    But what is actually covered?
    There is an option to pay a little more and be covered for accidents. What type of accident is likely to happen?
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 14th Jul 17, 2:38 PM
    • 15,400 Posts
    • 7,786 Thanks
    ACG
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:38 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:38 PM
    Car drives through house - http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/devastating-damage-caused-house-after-12837026
    Gas explosion - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/26/residents-complained-of-gas-smell-before-wirral-explosion
    House fire - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/08/woman-and-three-children-killed-in-bolton-house-fire
    Subsidence, water leaks, storm damage, wasnt there a light aircraft that flew in to a house recently?

I have a client of mine who made a claim last year, a sewers became blocked after a trees roots got into it. Then there was a downpoor and the sewer could not cope and resulted in the house being flooded...not a flood risk area, just unlucky.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Weighty1
    • By Weighty1 14th Jul 17, 4:03 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Weighty1
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:03 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:03 PM
    A foot through a ceiling when in the loft?
    A nail hammered through a pipe?
    An uninsured driver stoves their car into your house?

There's a few examples
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 15th Jul 17, 3:54 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:54 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:54 PM
    I ending up with basic buildings insurance with LV, not the cheapest, but not far off at £73
    This includes a lodger
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 16th Jul 17, 8:25 AM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:25 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:25 AM
    you get what you pay for, ensure the T+C are acceptable to you
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 16th Jul 17, 10:26 AM
    • 791 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:26 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:26 AM
    LV's one of the better policies, I'm surprised at that price!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,199Posts Today

6,122Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin