Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LoLo
    • By LoLo 14th Jul 17, 12:48 PM
    • 515Posts
    • 1,302Thanks
    LoLo
    Snap chat and men
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:48 PM
    Snap chat and men 14th Jul 17 at 12:48 PM
    Hi
    Wanting here to hear from make forum users as not sure if I'm driving myself insane. I won't go into the ins and outs but wondered if men use snap chat with their male friends or is this just an app they use to message females?

Thanks
    Sealed pot member 049

Penny challenge - £4.59/£667.95

1 debt vs 100 days challenge 27 £500/£1500
Page 1
    • GBNI
    • By GBNI 14th Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    • 501 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    GBNI
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    Yes, they do. Normally gross/stupid snaps that you'd never want to see!
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 14th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 3,885 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    I (used to) use snapchat with my male friends, some of whom are teammates & some are friends.... I dont have any social media accounts now
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 14th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    I'm sure it's used widely by all sorts of people to 'snap chat' (is that the verb?) all sorts of other people.

I'm unclear why you think even a selection of comments from lots of people would reveal anything useful.

Men don't get a guide in how to be men. We don't hold an AGM to discuss the agenda for the coming year. There is no vote on "watching football and drinking beer".

We're all individuals.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 14th Jul 17, 1:07 PM
    • 8,943 Posts
    • 12,982 Thanks
    meer53
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:07 PM
    Snapchat is what giddy teenagers use to send stupid photos/videos to their equally giddy friends. It's also used occasionally by drunk adults to send photos of themselves looking like puppies/fairies/unicorns. Male or female doesn't enter into it really, it's used by everyone, i don't understand your post really ?
    • LoLo
    • By LoLo 14th Jul 17, 1:07 PM
    • 515 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    LoLo
    I'm sure it's used widely by all sorts of people to 'snap chat' (is that the verb?) all sorts of other people.

I'm unclear why you think even a selection of comments from lots of people would reveal anything useful.

Men don't get a guide in how to be men. We don't hold an AGM to discuss the agenda for the coming year. There is no vote on "watching football and drinking beer".

We're all individuals.
    Originally posted by Guest101
    I was interested to see if other men use it to message male friends. I'm not suggesting that it will reveal anything other then the question I posed. I know everyone will use it differently but it genuinely is an app that I thought people only used to send inappropriate pics to the opposite sex.
    Sealed pot member 049

• fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 14th Jul 17, 1:08 PM
    • 8,288 Posts
    • 27,773 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:08 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:08 PM
    Yes, men can use snapchat with other men.
    My OH and his friends send each other snapchats of such fascinating things as - their dogs, their dinner, attractive looking glasses of beer, weird looking poos.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 14th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 15,300 Posts
    • 62,820 Thanks
    Judi
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    I can think of better ways to communicate. Whats the point in disappearing pictures when you can screenshot them anyway.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 14th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    I was interested to see if other men use it to message male friends. I'm not suggesting that it will reveal anything other then the question I posed. I know everyone will use it differently but it genuinely is an app that I thought people only used to send inappropriate pics to the opposite sex.
    Originally posted by LoLo
    Well I might suggest that's rather naïve and childish.

The vast majority of people have neither the time or the energy to be doing any of that nonsense
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 14th Jul 17, 2:15 PM
    • 3,305 Posts
    • 5,025 Thanks
    Malthusian
    The vast majority of people have neither the time or the energy to be doing any of that nonsense
    Which is why they don't use SnapChat.

As far as anecdata goes, none of my male friends use SnapChat and if anyone asked me to join it, I'd tell them to contact me via SMS or Facebook Messenger as I'm not interested in pictures of their wedding tackle.

"We only use SnapChat to chat" is in the same category as "I only use Incognito Mode on my browser to shop for birthday presents".
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 14th Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    • 3,536 Posts
    • 7,756 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I have a snapchat account that I've never sent a picture on and has exactly one contact. As you might imagine, it doesn't get used very much!

If I want to share a photo, it goes on facebook, usually with some explanation of what it is / commentary etc. so people can comment if they want
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • LoLo
    • By LoLo 14th Jul 17, 2:58 PM
    • 515 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    LoLo
    Well I might suggest that's rather naïve and childish.

I don't feel that is naive or childish at all. Snap chap is used a lot by people grooming children and so it is used a lot to send inappropriate pictures due to the nature of the messages disappearing after a few seconds. The messages cannot be viewed like they can within normal messages or messenger.

I'm not suggesting for one second that everyone who uses snapchat is a groomer or up to no good. It is interesting to hear from other people about what men send to each other though.
    Sealed pot member 049

• societys child
    • By societys child 14th Jul 17, 4:50 PM
    • 4,817 Posts
    • 5,251 Thanks
    societys child
    It is interesting to hear from other people about what men send to each other though.
    Probably about as interesting as women send to other woman.

• theguru
    • By theguru 14th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    • 606 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    theguru
    Mo...
    It's a pointless app...
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 14th Jul 17, 5:34 PM
    • 9,800 Posts
    • 12,422 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Let me guess... you've found a snapchat app on your OH's phone and think he's been sending some girl pics of his bits? Or chatting with her on it?

I don't use it (other than the 'puppies/fairies/unicorns' thing as above lol). I've never sent anyone anything (to my knowledge!) and haven't got anyone in a friends list (presuming there is such a thing on it).

I wouldn't reach the same conclusion as you, but would think he's been looking at himself as a puppy/fairy/unicorn etc...

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 14th Jul 17, 6:41 PM
    • 13,095 Posts
    • 17,313 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I'm a man. When I saw this thread I had to Google "Snap Chat"
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 19,509 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    My teens use it, and from my anecdcata (nice term!) they swap memes on it.

That said, they know I check their phones. I'm sure they're using other plausibly deniable channels for the stuff not fit for their mother. (Well, I would. Seems only reasonable to credit them with equal guile.)

It's not as if, to quote my mechanic, they have a "sl*tphone" specifically for the deniable comms.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 15th Jul 17, 9:49 AM
    • 1,361 Posts
    • 5,737 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    If you think he is having an affair, just ask him. It'll be faster.
    Downsized and mortgage free
    Nov17 grocery challenge £133.10/£150
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 15th Jul 17, 9:55 AM
    • 8,699 Posts
    • 13,276 Thanks
    worried jim
    I'm 43 and I use it. I send pics to my work colleagues when I am on holiday of the beach/beer/view to remind them they are at work. My sister sends me pics of dog rough houses she has to go to for work. All good fun.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,988Posts Today

9,608Users online

Martin's Twitter