Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tangotonyb
    • By tangotonyb 14th Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tangotonyb
    Warranty rights on import
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    Warranty rights on import 14th Jul 17 at 11:06 AM
    I bought a car head unit from the German warehouse of a Chinese company online.
    Just under 6 months later it dies.
    They're insisting I have to pay to ship it back to China AND pay for them to ship a replacement back to me.
    Citizen's advice told me that the Consumer Right's act doesn't specify shipping costs so that what the trader says goes. They then made me uncertain as to whether they knew what they were talking about by saying that I couldn't go to a UK court anyway - it would have to be a German or Chinese court.

Reading advice - e.g. from Which, they state that I should NOT be liable for returning a faulty item.

The costs I face are significant - they are specifying I use a particular shipping agent which will cost me £40, + £30 return shipping.

Does anyone have any experience to share, or know any facts here that could help me?

Thanks
Page 1
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    • 9,501 Posts
    • 10,672 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    The first thing to remember is that as there is no legal right for a warranty to be supplied, the manufacturer or retailer (whoever it is supplying the warranty) is entitled to have T&Cs that may be outside of your rights under consumer legislation.

If the retailer you purchased from is based in China and the contract was formed under Chinese law, any consumer rights you have will also be those under Chinese law and if these state you must pay to return faulty goods, then this is what you are will have to do.
    Even if you do have rights, you would have to attempt to enforce them against a Chinese seller in a Chinese court.
    If you could prove that the contract was covered by German/EU law then you may have an easier chance of getting the retailer to cover the return costs.

This is one of the downsides from buying outside of the EU.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 14th Jul 17, 11:26 AM
    • 3,333 Posts
    • 3,376 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:26 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:26 AM
    Who did you pay? The Chinese company or the German distribution warehouse?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 14th Jul 17, 11:47 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:47 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:47 AM
    Your contract is with a company in China as that is where you purchased it from; where it was shipped from is neither here no there, you have no hope in taking them to court. How did you pay for the head unit?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,914Posts Today

7,129Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin