Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • skylineboy2002
    • By skylineboy2002 14th Jul 17, 10:47 AM
    • 118Posts
    • 31Thanks
    skylineboy2002
    Withdrawing Coins From Bank Account - any limits?
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:47 AM
    Withdrawing Coins From Bank Account - any limits? 14th Jul 17 at 10:47 AM
    hi,

I want to withdraw some cash from my bank account (Barclays basic), in coins, as I will be going to boot fairs over the next couple of weeks, buying and the odd bit of selling. usually In the past I have had a collection of coins set aside in jar!

is there a limit on how much you can withdraw in coins, or even do banks let you do this? I haven't used a counter in ages (mainly online banking these days).

I would probably want to withdraw say £100 in each of £2 coins and £1 coins

thanks.
    18 litre office water bottle - - amount unknown...
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 14th Jul 17, 10:48 AM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 3,899 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:48 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:48 AM
    I dont think so however you nmay wish to speak to the bank a couple of days prior to let them have sufficient chance to get the coins for you, thus ensuring they have enough there in addition to thier normal day
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 14th Jul 17, 10:51 AM
    • 31,883 Posts
    • 37,610 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:51 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:51 AM
    as above , you need to make sure they have enough cash in branch

we once had to go to the bank of England to collect a HUGE amount of 2p pieces as it was the only place in London that held large stocks (long story , went to a wedding and groom refused to make his mind up about what they wanted as a present from a load of us so we changed £200 up into small coins )
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • skylineboy2002
    • By skylineboy2002 14th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    skylineboy2002
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    as above , you need to make sure they have enough cash in branch

we once had to go to the bank of England to collect a HUGE amount of 2p pieces as it was the only place in London that held large stocks (long story , went to a wedding and groom refused to make his mind up about what they wanted as a present from a load of us so we changed £200 up into small coins )
    Originally posted by Browntoa

wow! that's a large amount of coins! bet it weighed a ton! - well about 70 kg
    18 litre office water bottle - - amount unknown...
    • Don80
    • By Don80 14th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    • 201 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Don80
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    Hi

A bank should be able to give you this, but as others have said it would be good to go a couple of days early to ask. They may give you them on the spot, or arrange for you to come back. A lot would depend on whether they have that "bagged up" and could just hand them out. If it's all in tills or the safe, they may need more time.

I've a friend who works for a bank and that's small change to them, so they may be able to help on the spot. You'd be more likely to get it first time if you go to a branch with a business banking counter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,029Posts Today

8,067Users online

Martin's Twitter