Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 14th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1,141Posts
    • 177Thanks
    littlerock
    Advice needed on PowerPoint latest version
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    Advice needed on PowerPoint latest version 14th Jul 17 at 10:16 AM
    I used to be a whiz on Powerpoint but have not used it for a few years now. I was asked to give a talk at a conference this week and the organiser asked me to provide it on a memory stick when we arrived at the conference.

I have a newish PC which has a very recent version of PowerPoint but I got the hang of it quite quickly and having assembled my talk (mainly images) on my PC, I saved it to a memory stick. It had the extension. .pptm

I arrived early at the conference and handed the stick over to the techie running the electronics. He could not open it! Error message said it was a macro not an openable file. After some trial and error he managed to open it by opening it within PowerPoint. Afterwards I asked if he knew why and he said no but there was another presentation, also made with a recent version of Powerpoint, which had the same problem.

Is there some specific process to follow to get a stand-alone PP presentation onto a memory stick? For example do I have to Export it rather than save it or some other procedure.

Anyone familiar with later versions of PP and able to advise how to save a stand alone version of a presentation on a memory stick?
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 14th Jul 17, 10:22 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:22 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:22 AM
    Office files that have a four figure extension (pptm for example) were made with a version of Office later than and including Office 2007. It's possible the conference PC had an older version, possibly 2003 which can't always work with these.

What you can do in this situation is make your presentation in your version and then save it both in your version and an older version and then at the venue if one won't open, the other should.
    https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Share-PowerPoint-2013-files-with-users-of-earlier-versions-b103296a-cd3d-4d4f-add4-bf581e39ec65
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 14th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    littlerock
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    Well my version is 2016 and the techie said his was too.....but there is an April 2017 version, maybe he had that? Even so most of the other presenters were of an age and type to be very unlikely to be running the April 2017 version.....more likely 2010
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 14th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    .pptm just means it's a macro-enabled Powerpoint presentation.

You could probably have saved as .pptx or even .ppt.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 14th Jul 17, 1:15 PM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:15 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:15 PM
    Did you actually create Macros (or use vba) within your presentation? If not, I am surprised it gave you the option to save as .pptm. As stated above, more likely .pptx, like Excel later versions are .xlsx and Word are .docx.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 14th Jul 17, 2:38 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    littlerock
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:38 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:38 PM
    No no macros and I did not choose an option to save it as a.pptm that was what it defaulted to. I saw there was a 4 character extension called .pptm but assumed that was how PP worked nowadays.

I saved it to my stick and then reloaded it to check it was correct but of course I loaded it into PP again. It did not warn that it was a macro, and I did not select it to be one, it was the default setting. .
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 14th Jul 17, 3:38 PM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:38 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:38 PM
    Yes - the option to save as "PowerPoint 97-2003 Presentation" is there on 2016

the default is .pptx on 2016 ( on my PC anyway)

Always best to save as lowest common denominator if you don't know what going to be available at remote site and you're not taking you own PC/laptop

PDF might also have been an option ?
    Last edited by bob_a_builder; 14-07-2017 at 3:40 PM.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 15th Jul 17, 7:04 AM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    littlerock
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:04 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:04 AM
    Had I been more familiar with latest version of PP, I might have smelt a rat. I should like to include a video clip in my presentation,, something I gather you can now do. Will that affect the format I need to save it in?
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 15th Jul 17, 7:57 AM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:57 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:57 AM
    I suggest using File / Export / Package Presentation to CD for loading a presentation onto media for use on a different computer. You can use the Copy to Folder option further into this process to save it on a USB stick.

Saving this way should ensure that any pictures / videos etc in your presentation are included in the presentation, rather than just being links to local files on the computer where you created it. Otherwise you run the risk of turning up at the presentation venue and none of your pictures / videos / music etc are available!

However even doing it this way *should* default to pptx which is the standard PowerPoint file format. It should only default to pptm if the default save format has been changed in PowerPoint options, or if there actually are macros in the presentation.

Another option is to take your own laptop, if the venue will allow it, then you can just save it normally.

The reason you had difficulties opening the pptm file at the conference venue is because Office defaults to a restriction on opening macro-enabled files, to prevent malicious macros from running, though the settings for this can be changed.

In PowerPoint check File / Options / Save to see what the default save format has been set to, and change it to pptx if necessary. The options relating to running macros are in File / Options / Trust Center / Trust Center Settings - might be useful to bear in mind if you're going to be in the habit of doing PowerPoint presentations as not all techs know everything!
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 15th Jul 17, 12:37 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    littlerock
    OK just opened up PP on my pc and went to save a file. If I type "save" as, it defaults to open on the first line of the "save as" tab, which is "PowerPower macro enabled presentation" with the extension .pptm. It does not show any other options, you need to pull down the tab to open it, and then the second option is PowerPoint presentation .pptx

So the first "save as" option given and the only one which appears on the screen until you pull down the tab, is the macro enabled version .pptm.

If my PP wasn't so rusty I might have spotted this. Still I am surprised the first option is not the main .pptx
    Last edited by littlerock; 15-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 15th Jul 17, 2:48 PM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    I opened PowerPoint, did a dummy presentation and clicked save, it went for .pptx, then went save as and it still went .pptx. Maybe because the first time I used it - years ago, I saved as a .pptx and it becomes the default.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 15th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    OK just opened up PP on my pc and went to save a file. If I type "save" as, it defaults to open on the first line of the "save as" tab, which is "PowerPower macro enabled presentation" with the extension .pptm. It does not show any other options, you need to pull down the tab to open it, and then the second option is PowerPoint presentation .pptx

So the first "save as" option given and the only one which appears on the screen until you pull down the tab, is the macro enabled version .pptm.

If my PP wasn't so rusty I might have spotted this. Still I am surprised the first option is not the main .pptx
    Originally posted by littlerock
    Are you talking about PowerPoint 2016 here?

Two questions: what is the format set under File / Options / Save?
    What happens when you save simply by pressing the F12 key?
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 16th Jul 17, 11:21 AM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    littlerock
    I am not sure where, if anywhere, as the save command does not display anything, just flashes. I assume it is resaving it over the earlier .pptm version. I did a search on the file name and could find nothing with the extension .pptx. Using F12 saves it as .pptm.

I suppose to get a correct test I will need to create a new file altogether and see how it saves that.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 16th Jul 17, 4:10 PM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Once you have saved a file with a particular extension (not restricted to PowerPoint), pressing save or F12 will just save it as previously saved. To see the options you will need to click Save As or, as you say create a new file and hit Save and system will ask you where and how you would like it saved.
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 16th Jul 17, 5:59 PM
    • 4,963 Posts
    • 9,656 Thanks
    I have spoken
    .pptx is the default for a new presentation in PowerPoint 2016
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 17th Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    .pptx is the default for a new presentation in PowerPoint 2016
    It is !
    And I just tested (on 2016) embedding a video in a presentation and that didn't prompt PowerPoint to change the file type from .pptx either

So either OPs ppt setup has had the default changed in the Options , Save section where there is a drop down to select other default file types, only 5 available , one of them being .pptm
    or something else used/inserted in the presentation has triggered the change to .pptm

Options Save screen
    Last edited by bob_a_builder; 17-07-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 17th Jul 17, 4:46 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    littlerock
    Well I have had another look and while the .pptx option is top of the pulldown list, and .pptm second, if I just type save as and accept the default, it brings up .pptm as the default.

I therefore changed the .pptm option to save as .pptx and then closed and opened it to save as again. Once more it displayed the .pptm option as the default.

So far as I am aware they are just slides nothing more. What sort of thing might it mistake for a macro? I have never saved a macro.
    Last edited by littlerock; 17-07-2017 at 4:49 PM.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 17th Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Where do you type "Save As?" The test would be if you changed the Save option to default to PowerPoint presentation i.e. .pptx then create a new presentation (one slide with some text on it will do) and then Click File, Save (or click on the Save icon if you have set up the ribbon) it should try to save to your default location with a .pptx extension. If you use Save As it will try to save as the previously saved presentation which was (for whatever reason) a .pptm.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 17th Jul 17, 5:53 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    littlerock
    If I just type "save" at present, it defaults to the .pptm format. To change the format it saves in, I have to use the "save as" option and chose the format I want. So I changed it to "save as" .pptx format. Then I tried to just "save" the first slide again, as a new file and it still reverted to .pptm as the default, even though this is the second of the format options on the list. Somehow I have made this the default I have no idea how.

(I have a similar issue in reverse with Word. I prefer to save my documents as .doc but it always defaults to .docx on a plan "save". So I "save as" .doc. )

Back to Powerpoint, I can only assume that my file (of images) somehow contains a macro but how or where I have no idea. Anyone know what might qualify as one, given I have only saved images?.
    Last edited by littlerock; 17-07-2017 at 5:55 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

296Posts Today

2,559Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin