Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlisonW
    • By AlisonW 14th Jul 17, 9:50 AM
    • 592Posts
    • 309Thanks
    AlisonW
    Keeping scrambled egg in fridge
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:50 AM
    Keeping scrambled egg in fridge 14th Jul 17 at 9:50 AM
    I am making my poor old dog scrambled egg for breakfast everymorning, of course in the interests of fairness and harmony, I also have to make some for my not so old dog too.
    If I have to be on an early shift they give me guilt inducing looks so I end up egg scrambling rather than lunch packing! ( they could wait for OH to get up, but it's there, the guilt, I go to work wondering if he will remember, the dogs will lie and tell him they've not been fed, ever! etc )
    So, if I have my organised head on, I make two days worth when I am not at work. ( then hope OH doesnt feed it all to them on the first day)
    How long does scrambled egg keep in the fridge so I could make several days worth? The dogs aren't fussy about how it tastes, but I dont want to give them iffy tummies. Im also fed up of washing out eggy pans every day.

Thanks
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 14,772 Posts
    • 36,753 Thanks
    elsien
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    Can't you just zap a couple of days worth in the microwave? Much quicker, dogs not fussy about texture and washing up is far easier.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th Jul 17, 10:14 AM
    • 6,869 Posts
    • 18,266 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:14 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:14 AM
    Real scrambled egg (despite the washing up), has a nice texture - I expect it would be OK (even microwaved for temperature) on another day. Expect doggy "looks" if found to be cold & not as preferred steaming from freshly cooked to order.

However, dog should not dictate *your* feeding & OH can microwave an egg for dog If Needful.
    Love yourself first!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 59,187 Posts
    • 345,519 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    If covered, well, wrapped and air-tight, I'd expect it to last 3-4 days in the fridge... after that time I'd just "not fancy it", but dogs can't tell when it was cooked or how long it's been in the fridge
    • AlisonW
    • By AlisonW 14th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    AlisonW
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    Real scrambled egg (despite the washing up), has a nice texture - I expect it would be OK (even microwaved for temperature) on another day. Expect doggy "looks" if found to be cold & not as preferred steaming from freshly cooked to order.

However, dog should not dictate *your* feeding & OH can microwave an egg for dog If Needful.
    Love yourself first!
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    I don't normally pander to pets, or partners, but Poor Old Dog is at the stage where every morning he is able to greet me with a wag of his tail and make it downstairs to the kitchen, is a bonus. So I'm spoiling him, he's not likely to be around much longer. Then Not So Old Dog will have to go cold turkey.

I find microwave scrambled eggs more time consuming than done on the hob, and the dish is harder to wash than the pan.

Big myths from the 1980's, Scrambled eggs are a doddle in the microwave. CD's are indestructible. ..... Oh and some woman saying that the pound in our pocket was safe with her! ( though that could have been late 70's )
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    • 14,772 Posts
    • 36,753 Thanks
    elsien
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    Leave the washing up to other half as his contribution to Poor Old Dog's wellbeing?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th Jul 17, 12:46 PM
    • 6,869 Posts
    • 18,266 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:46 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:46 PM
    Ah, in that case, cosset Poor Old Dog & cook as your heart suggests & bid OH do similarly, on the understanding that when they, too, are old you will make them scrambled egg every day.

You may want to consider making & freezing sandwiches that can defrost to edibility for lunch (I'm told ham is good for this) and/or consider the use of a slow cooker so you can do several platefuls in one cooking. Possibly out of dog reach, that latter?!
    Sounds like judicious meal planning would give you more time with dog & OH & still get you all fed & well daily. Often MS as well! More time reading here may pay off?
    • jk0
    • By jk0 14th Jul 17, 1:02 PM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 22,390 Thanks
    jk0
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:02 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:02 PM
    I may be being a bit thick here, but should you keep the scrambled egg cooked or uncooked?

I always seem to let eggs go past their use by date, so am trying to think of a way of keeping them. Would the uncooked scrambled egg freeze and defrost successfully?
    • AlisonW
    • By AlisonW 14th Jul 17, 1:41 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    AlisonW
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:41 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:41 PM
    Ah, in that case, cosset Poor Old Dog & cook as your heart suggests & bid OH do similarly, on the understanding that when they, too, are old you will make them scrambled egg every day.

You may want to consider making & freezing sandwiches that can defrost to edibility for lunch (I'm told ham is good for this) and/or consider the use of a slow cooker so you can do several platefuls in one cooking. Possibly out of dog reach, that latter?!
    Sounds like judicious meal planning would give you more time with dog & OH & still get you all fed & well daily. Often MS as well! More time reading here may pay off?
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    I've spent ten years reading here and still not got the hang of meal planning so I suspect I'm a lost cause in that respect, maybe that's where I'm going wrong. Less time on here more time feeding my family :-)
    Who say's we are not well fed anyway? I dont recall anything about that in my original post.
    I think we are getting slightly off piste here.
    Anyway I shall give a big batch a try for about 4 days and leave a sticker on it to prevent double rations being given.

JK0 not sure about using frozen for scrambling, but I think you would be able to use them in recipes. Recipes that call for egg yolk or white only, often say to lightly whisk the left over portion and freeze.
    I do find though that eggs are quite OK for a while past their best by date. Do the floating egg test if you are unsure.

Edit: just remembered, froze raw scrambled egg last year to take camping, with cooked bcon and mushrooms in. Worked OK, but took forever on camping stove because they were still partly frozen and I was frightened of poisoning us with the bacon.
    Last edited by AlisonW; 14-07-2017 at 1:44 PM. Reason: addition
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Jul 17, 4:26 PM
    • 9,451 Posts
    • 102,196 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Feed dogs as you are currently doing and leave dishes in to soak, for OH to wash up.

Fwiw, I think you are doing a Good Thing making Old Dog's remaining time as good as it can possibly be.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • carriebradshaw
    • By carriebradshaw 14th Jul 17, 6:35 PM
    • 1,284 Posts
    • 3,410 Thanks
    carriebradshaw
    can't you just do them the night before?
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 14th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 3,051 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    Just a thought - have you tried hard boiled, well chopped for doggies? Mix with a little mayo and put it on your sandwiches too.
    Dear Old Dog, give his ears a nice scratch from me.
    • AlisonW
    • By AlisonW 14th Jul 17, 9:45 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    AlisonW
    can't you just do them the night before?
    Originally posted by carriebradshaw
    Then they would expect them for supper as well!.:-)
    • carriebradshaw
    • By carriebradshaw 15th Jul 17, 12:12 PM
    • 1,284 Posts
    • 3,410 Thanks
    carriebradshaw
    Then they would expect them for supper as well!.:-)
    Originally posted by AlisonW
    of course I was also going to add as suggested above, hard boiled and then mashed down would also be happily gobbled up by most doggos, (all mine have loved this) that would make life easier as you can do maybe once or twice a week, keep in the fridge & just mash up with a fork every morning with some low fat cottage cheese (if he can digest dairy)

my dogs favourite indulgent daily treat was sardines & when he got older they were very good for hiding any meds in that he had to take too. He would always find & spit out if I tried to hide them in anything else bless him
    • AlisonW
    • By AlisonW 15th Jul 17, 2:36 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    AlisonW

my dogs favourite indulgent daily treat was sardines & when he got older they were very good for hiding any meds in that he had to take too. He would always find & spit out if I tried to hide them in anything else bless him
    Originally posted by carriebradshaw
    Goodness, I don't think I could face sardines first thing in the morning.
    Luckily his medication is in liquid form, he's another spitter. Not So Old Dog eats more or less anything. Thinks everything you give him is a treat. Tablets have to be really disgusting for him to spit out.
    I think its incredible how they can wolf something down without it touching the sides and yet manage to spit out a tiny pill hidden in something.
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 15th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 1,627 Thanks
    purpleybat
    not a dog story, but we had a cat on meds and i'd squidge the pill inside a lump of cheese, the syringe things the vet gave us seemed torture to the already suffering moggy.

I too would cook the scrambles and leave the pan to soak til hometime, just add it to the evening meal washing up.

one question tho, do eggs not give dogs evil wind? they did my ex husband.
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160
    • AlisonW
    • By AlisonW 15th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    AlisonW

one question tho, do eggs not give dogs evil wind? they did my ex husband.
    Originally posted by purpleybat
    They don't seem to. No more evil than usual .:-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,177Posts Today

4,790Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin