Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SouRz
    • By SouRz 14th Jul 17, 9:32 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 4Thanks
    SouRz
    LBC - Settlement Offer - Need advice!
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:32 AM
    LBC - Settlement Offer - Need advice! 14th Jul 17 at 9:32 AM
    Hi everyone!

First off, thanks to everyone that makes all the helpful guides on here! Saved me a lot of time so far!

Little bit of background. I received a PCM on 27/10/16. I ignored as advised but have now recieved the dreaded LBC from Gladstone Solictors, templated of course. I have had personal issues in my life recently and this is causing some un-needed stress and I just want them off my back. I also head to university in 2 months... so paying the £160 they are asking is not an option (nor would I anyway).

I have taken the route to respond to the LBC with a settlement cost of £35. I believe this is generous and reasonable. I have posted the letter below that I intend to send to them. I did use the template however some is my own wording, and seeing as I am only 18 with no law background I don't know if what I said could be used against me!

Any advice on the letter below would be appreciated. It must be sent off today!!!

Gladstone Solicitors

The Stables
    1 Red Cow Yard
    Kutsford
    WA16 6DG

Date of letter: 14/07/2017

WITHOUT PREJUDICE SAVE AS TO THE QUESTION OF COSTS

Dear Sir/Madam,

Parking Control Management -v- My NAME
    Proposed county court claim

I refer to the Letter Before County Court Claim dated 03/07/2017.

That letter is defective in that it fails to comply with the Practice Direction on Pre-action Conduct.

For the avoidance of doubt liability is denied in full. Should your client choose to start court action against me, the claim will be vigorously defended.

Nevertheless, and notwithstanding the above comments, in the spirit of disposing of this matter swiftly and conveniently, I am willing to make an offer of settlement in the sum of £35.00 in full and final settlement of your client's claim. This offer is made entirely on a 'without prejudice' basis and with no acceptance of liability. The offer has been calculated on a generous basis, due to the parking position used, which did not impact any residential parking space, and also the time and length of time spent there. The parking charge notice was issued at 21:45 (GMT) which is at a time when activity in that area would be considered ‘minimal’, and the vehicle was parked at the location for approximately 18 minutes, from 21:37 until 21:55.

PLEASE NOTE: This offer will remain open for a period of 23 days from the date of this letter (namely 21 days plus two days for service) after which time the offer will be withdrawn and any court action will be defended in the normal way. In the event of you failing to achieve a judgment in excess of the sum offered in this letter, an application will be made for an order that your client pay the defendant's wasted costs of the action in full.

I respectfully remind you of your client's duty to mitigate its losses and trust that you will advise your client accordingly.

I look forward to receiving your written acceptance of this offer within the timescale stipulated in this letter.

Yours faithfully

My name
    Last edited by SouRz; 14-07-2017 at 4:13 PM.
Page 2
    • Zero Gravitas
    • By Zero Gravitas 14th Jul 17, 11:47 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    Zero Gravitas
    The best way is to to scan the letter and upload it to a free
    site like photobucket

Then paste the URL here changing http: to hxxp and we will
    convert it. Let us see this letter
    Originally posted by beamerguy
    NOT Photobucket. If you want to third-party host on photobucket, they will now want $399 a year from you; and if you have any photos only on there, they are effectively ransomed until you pay.

Makes the PPCs look almost reasonable.
    • SouRz
    • By SouRz 14th Jul 17, 11:49 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    SouRz
    Thanks for your help guys. I'll scan the letter once I get home and upload it!

Redx, apologies for my mistake there - I gathered they would have their correct address on their payment website, obviously I'm mistaken here! What would happen if someone were to send correspondence to their incorrect address on their website?

Please give me an hour or so and I'll drive home to grab the letter and then post it on here.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 14th Jul 17, 11:55 AM
    • 14,748 Posts
    • 18,539 Thanks
    Redx
    I would assume they have a postal redirection in place for a year or two , so I assume their mail is redirected by the local sorting office to the new golf club address (that is how I knew there was something iffy in your letter - it had the old address)

would you not think the same ? (seems obvious to me)

my point was that you were responding to a supposed LBC yet the address you were posting to didnt match their current address

this led me to believe you had a DRP letter on old headed notepaper (where Glads pimp out their letterhead to a DCA - believe me its a well known sc@m that came to light when they moved last year)

you are young and naive on this topic , so dont assume and dont believe everything you read (you were 13 or 14 when POFA2012 came along)

the regulars here have been fighting these sc@ms for years, so we have a wealth of knowledge you could not begin to get to grips with , just like your teachers and lecturers do

if it has the golf club address, and if DRP or some other DCA are not mentioned anywhere , and if it has LBC on it , then yes it could well be a REAL LBC

we dont think that GLADS bother to read anything you send them , plus I do not believe they will accept a lower amount for their client - they know they have you on the run and will increase the pressure to settle IN FULL
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 14th Jul 17, 12:39 PM
    • 5,512 Posts
    • 7,094 Thanks
    beamerguy
    NOT Photobucket. If you want to third-party host on photobucket, they will now want $399 a year from you; and if you have any photos only on there, they are effectively ransomed until you pay.

Makes the PPCs look almost reasonable.
    Originally posted by Zero Gravitas
    New to me, but if photobucket want to be so stupid there are other
    free hosting sites even facebook
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Jul 17, 1:07 PM
    • 48,171 Posts
    • 61,629 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    You need to re-think your approach to this. PCM are not a firm to pay and will not accept an offer, this is all pointless. The way to respond to a LBCCC is in the NEWBIES thread post #2 and it is NOT making an offer that will never in a million years get you anywhere.

This is PCM's calibre, one of the lowest knuckle-dragging ex-clamper firms you could hope to be dealing with and not worthy of your money:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02sh3sr

Just because they are the same firm as at Bluewater doesn't make them 'legit'. You will get a court claim soon and you WILL need to defend it. Tons like your case on here, almost every case won, and even if an odd one is lost they do not pay anything much different than the £160 demanded now.

Yes you are starting Uni but this will be all over in the first term. You will also be able to choose (when you get the claim) which home address you give for service - based on how anti-PPC the local court is, you will have a genuine choice between your home address and your Uni address.

For example, Wigan court = dreadful (seemingly they have no clue about this scam) Skipton or Manchester Court = brilliant, they kick PPCs every day, it seems!

And when I say court, this is not a criminal matter, does not have to be 'declared' to anyone, it's just a civil dispute, more like a formal 'Judge Rinder' experience than anything else and has no effect on your future credit rating, even if you lose, as long as you then paid in the end (if you were a rare loser).

Your car was there minutes, in the dark - you'll have a defence based on 'signs not lit'.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 14-07-2017 at 1:09 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• SouRz
    • By SouRz 14th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    SouRz
    Hi

Thanks coupon mad, that was a reassuring reply!

Here is the letter for those interested:
    hxxp://imgur.com/a/sOSDR

Looks like a legitimate LBCCC to me
    Last edited by SouRz; 14-07-2017 at 4:11 PM.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 14th Jul 17, 3:39 PM
    • 5,512 Posts
    • 7,094 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Hi

xxxxxxx

Originally posted by SouRz
    link removed
    Last edited by beamerguy; 14-07-2017 at 4:56 PM.
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 14th Jul 17, 3:53 PM
    • 32,086 Posts
    • 16,177 Thanks
    Quentin
    Hi

hxxp://imgur.com/xxxxxxxx

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your thread against you.

You can easily be identified from the letter which contains a unique ref no. Take it down or make it anonymous

Treat it as a LBCC.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 14th Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    • 7,154 Posts
    • 7,242 Thanks
    pappa golf
    red cow yd mail fowarding https://www.endole.co.uk/explorer/company/postcode/sk3-8ax
    Have YOU had to walk 500 miles?
    Were you advised to walk 500 more?
    You could be entitled to compensation.
    Call the Pro Claimers NOW.
    • SouRz
    • By SouRz 14th Jul 17, 4:39 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    SouRz
    So do I respond to this LBC? Do I need to do anything right now or do I await the court papers?
    • fb1969
    • By fb1969 14th Jul 17, 4:57 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    fb1969
    Remove the document you have uploaded!

It contains your name and a reference number.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 14th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    • 14,748 Posts
    • 18,539 Thanks
    Redx
    So do I respond to this LBC? Do I need to do anything right now or do I await the court papers?
    unless you are willing to pay up IN FULL , you reply with a debt denied letter , same as everybody else with an LBC from Gladstones

yes its an LBC , how do I know ?

1) their client is PCM , (the PPC themselves) not a DCA

2) it tells you to phone GLADS , and not a DCA

3) it has their GOLF CLUB address on it , not red cow yard

4) it tells you to PAY UP , IN FULL

so yes , treat it as an LBC and respond accordingly

CM told you this in post #25 , and where to find examples

but bear in mind they are not likely to read any response and will likely issue a court claim in the next few weeks , regardless of what YOU want , you are no longer in control (unless you pay in full)

welcome to our grown up world of being an adult and now responsible for your destiny

I dont wish to sound harsh , but have been through this with my 3 lads and now one of my grand daughters who is your age

ie:- its not as simple as when adults were responsible on your behalf , plus you have to sort out your own problems , debts and alleged debts

we really want you to take them on and win , same as many others do, but you need to wake up and face reality

you will get help from here free of charge , so I suggest you gen up on this topic and follow the advice given

and remove the picture , redact your name and reference code etc , then re-upload it again
    Last edited by Redx; 14-07-2017 at 5:02 PM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • SouRz
    • By SouRz 14th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    SouRz
    Hi everybody,

I have now posted of a letter back to them, similar to Gan's letter given in the Newbie thread.

Redx, apologies if at any time I came off as rude or negligent, I did not mean to express myself in that way and was genuinely confused regarding their postal address. Many thanks for clearing the confusion on that.

Thank you Redx, Coupon-mad, Quentin and Pappa Golf (and anyone else who has helped!). I will await their reply, or court papers, and proceed as advised in the Newbie thread. I'll post back here if I need any more help from you guys - thanks for giving all this advice for free, it is very much appreciated.

I hope you all have a great weekend.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 14th Jul 17, 7:16 PM
    • 14,748 Posts
    • 18,539 Thanks
    Redx
    dont worry about it

seen it many times with "teenagers" , lol

the hard part is getting them to understand our "adult" point of view and take onboard that we "old and wise owls" may actually know more about the subject lol

hopefully you will now be more receptive to the free advice being offered, plus I can assure you it is better advice than if you actually had paid for it , or tried the C.A.B. etc

it may not be what you want to hear , but it is the correct advice that you needed

if there had been a magic bullet !! ie:- an easy solution , we would have told you about it
    Last edited by Redx; 14-07-2017 at 7:19 PM.
    Newbies !!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,215Posts Today

8,411Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin