Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SouRz
    • By SouRz 14th Jul 17, 9:32 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 4Thanks
    SouRz
    LBC - Settlement Offer - Need advice!
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:32 AM
    LBC - Settlement Offer - Need advice! 14th Jul 17 at 9:32 AM
    Hi everyone!

First off, thanks to everyone that makes all the helpful guides on here! Saved me a lot of time so far!

Little bit of background. I received a PCM on 27/10/16. I ignored as advised but have now recieved the dreaded LBC from Gladstone Solictors, templated of course. I have had personal issues in my life recently and this is causing some un-needed stress and I just want them off my back. I also head to university in 2 months... so paying the £160 they are asking is not an option (nor would I anyway).

I have taken the route to respond to the LBC with a settlement cost of £35. I believe this is generous and reasonable. I have posted the letter below that I intend to send to them. I did use the template however some is my own wording, and seeing as I am only 18 with no law background I don't know if what I said could be used against me!

Any advice on the letter below would be appreciated. It must be sent off today!!!

Gladstone Solicitors

The Stables
    1 Red Cow Yard
    Kutsford
    WA16 6DG

Date of letter: 14/07/2017

WITHOUT PREJUDICE SAVE AS TO THE QUESTION OF COSTS

Dear Sir/Madam,

Parking Control Management -v- My NAME
    Proposed county court claim

I refer to the Letter Before County Court Claim dated 03/07/2017.

That letter is defective in that it fails to comply with the Practice Direction on Pre-action Conduct.

For the avoidance of doubt liability is denied in full. Should your client choose to start court action against me, the claim will be vigorously defended.

Nevertheless, and notwithstanding the above comments, in the spirit of disposing of this matter swiftly and conveniently, I am willing to make an offer of settlement in the sum of £35.00 in full and final settlement of your client's claim. This offer is made entirely on a 'without prejudice' basis and with no acceptance of liability. The offer has been calculated on a generous basis, due to the parking position used, which did not impact any residential parking space, and also the time and length of time spent there. The parking charge notice was issued at 21:45 (GMT) which is at a time when activity in that area would be considered ‘minimal’, and the vehicle was parked at the location for approximately 18 minutes, from 21:37 until 21:55.

PLEASE NOTE: This offer will remain open for a period of 23 days from the date of this letter (namely 21 days plus two days for service) after which time the offer will be withdrawn and any court action will be defended in the normal way. In the event of you failing to achieve a judgment in excess of the sum offered in this letter, an application will be made for an order that your client pay the defendant's wasted costs of the action in full.

I respectfully remind you of your client's duty to mitigate its losses and trust that you will advise your client accordingly.

I look forward to receiving your written acceptance of this offer within the timescale stipulated in this letter.

Yours faithfully

My name
    Last edited by SouRz; 14-07-2017 at 4:13 PM.
Page 1
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 14th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    • 6,349 Posts
    • 8,155 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    Doubt £35 would be accepted

You mention £160 which sounds like a pimped Gladstones letter
    and a debt collector using it. Was it signed by Tim Hawker and who are they asking you to pay
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 14th Jul 17, 9:46 AM
    • 15,548 Posts
    • 24,262 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:46 AM
    @BG. Tim Hawker has no connection here. He is the Wright Hassall and QDR debt collection front man.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 14th Jul 17, 9:46 AM
    • 3,844 Posts
    • 5,413 Thanks
    Half_way
    little bit of background. I received a PCM on 27/10/16. I ignored as advised
    where did you read/were advised to ignore?
    need more background, why did you get a parking charge notice in the first place?
    who from?
    whos car park?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 14th Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    • 6,349 Posts
    • 8,155 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    @BG. Tim Hawker has no connection here. He is the Wright Hassall and QDR debt collection front man.
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    ok thanks for that

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • SouRz
    • By SouRz 14th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    SouRz
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    I got a parking charge notice for parking in a resendential area that, unbeknowst to me at the time, had parking regulations. I did not park in any marked space and definitely didn't take up any assigned space. The area I parked in was literally a "gap" cutout between two bushes that I see lorries and vans sit in all the time to eat their lunch and stuff as it's right by the river.

It was from Parking Control Management Ltd, the same people who do tickets at Bluewater shopping center.

I sent in an original appeal via their website which received no response. From then on, I became quite ill and due to personal reasons I didn't have the time to deal with it any further until receiving this recently.

If I offered to pay a higher amount, such as £50-£60, would it be more likely?
    • snnl
    • By snnl 14th Jul 17, 10:10 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    snnl
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:10 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:10 AM
    If you are so intent on paying, why did you not pay up as soon as you got the ticket on the day? Why let it get this far? (I know you said you was ill but a PPC will not care, sorry to say it).

First, is this an actual LBC? Can we see the letter? I only ask as PCM also got Gladstone's to send me a rather ambiguous letter where it neither said it was or wasn't an LBC.
    This could just be a letter from Gladstone's acting as a debt collector and using their 'Solicitor' name to scare you in the paying with some clever/scary wording on their part (which sounds like its working).

Personally I wouldn't pay, I would fight it, but It sounds like they have got you sweating and now (probably) won't accept any offer apart from full payment as they will believe you are a 'soft' target and will quickly cough up.

Feel free to see what I did with PCM & Gladstones. I am yet to hear from them.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5651827
    • Redx
    • By Redx 14th Jul 17, 10:13 AM
    • 16,567 Posts
    • 20,721 Thanks
    Redx
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:13 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:13 AM
    I doubt that anything less than the amount demanded will be accepted, because DRP will want their cut

I do not believe this letter you received is from GLADSTONES , it will be a DRP letter

why ?

1) the address is incorrect, they have not been at red cow yard for ages

2) the amount is the original £100 plus £60 DRP added on

3) a proper GLADSTONES LBC will have the PPC listed as the client , and the DRP details wont be mentioned

any offer to pay a lower amount will be seen as a capitulation and allows them to go for the jugular - it can even be seen as an admission of guilt

I reralise you are very young but you will need to learn a lot about this sc@m industry

if it is a DRP letter with the wrong address on it , ignore it

read this

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5035663

and this

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5678983
    Last edited by Redx; 14-07-2017 at 10:22 AM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 14th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    • 3,844 Posts
    • 5,413 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    are you a resident at this place, or visiting a resident?
    where did you get informed to ignore the parking charge?
    paying could cause issues depending upon the above answers, regarding future liability/acceptance on your part.
    need more information, otherwise you could get yourself in difficulty, if the advice isn't right

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • SouRz
    • By SouRz 14th Jul 17, 10:32 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    SouRz
    I didn't pay it on the day as at the time, from research I completed online, I decided it was in my best interest to not pay. I am only considering paying now as I am just over flustered with all of this, especially seeing as I move across the country in 2 months for uni and I don't want to be worrying about this!

It is an acutal LBC. The letter has in bold "Letter Before Claim" at the top (I believe, it definitely mentions those three words). I am currently at work and will not be able to post the letter until lunchtime.

Redx, the letter in my original post is my letter I intend to send to them to settle the cost. Thanks for letting me know about the incorrect address, however it was only found via a quick Google search and would have been checked anyway

I am not a resident of this palce, nor was I visiting the resident. It is a very nice area by the Thames that I go to sometimes to relax at a night time. I'm not sure if it helps, but below is a Google maps linkt hat shows the space (the one at the end of the road by the Thames, that is not marked (Next tot he Johnsons Real Estate van in Streetview)

I can't post a link so just put the google domain before the below URL.

/maps/@51.4548808,0.2922118,3a,75y,284h,58.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1secE9Z5kJ-f9llFpF3Z7wlg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656[

I read online on forums that the PCM's were nothing more than invoices, and an appeal can be made but I saw loads of posts to just ignore it! I now see that was probably not the smartest thing to do, but I did put in an appeal originally which was not responded to. Live and learn I guess.
    Last edited by SouRz; 14-07-2017 at 10:33 AM. Reason: More information for Google Maps
    • SouRz
    • By SouRz 14th Jul 17, 10:37 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    SouRz
    Also to add to that Redx, it appears it is their address:

gslcollections (dot) com/How-to-Pay.html
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 14th Jul 17, 10:40 AM
    • 3,844 Posts
    • 5,413 Thanks
    Half_way
    which forums wee they? I've seen some shocking advice in places such as digital spy, it may be with a look to see, and help stop people making mistakes, such as ignoring.
    in mobile now so will post some more latter this afternoon.
    fur now hold tight and don't pay a penny

• pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 14th Jul 17, 10:42 AM
    • 7,650 Posts
    • 7,909 Thanks
    pappa golf
    Gladstone Solicitors

The Stables
    1 Red Cow Yard
    Kutsford
    WA16 6DG

gladstones solisitors are located at

High Legh Park Golf Club Warrington Road, High Legh, Knutsford, England, WA16 6AA

Registered office address changed from 1 the Stables Red Cow Yard Knutsford Cheshire WA16 6DG to High Legh Park Golf Club Warrington Road High Legh Knutsford WA16 6AA on 13 September 2016
    • SouRz
    • By SouRz 14th Jul 17, 10:43 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    SouRz
    Pappa Golf.... so their payment website has an incorrect cheque/postal order address? Ridiculous!!!
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 14th Jul 17, 10:47 AM
    • 7,650 Posts
    • 7,909 Thanks
    pappa golf
    it has been noted in the past that the parking Cos are using up old letter headed paper , this was mentioned at pepipoo , and the clue was in the referance number , think it was 01 as opposed to 03 , try pepipoo search
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 14th Jul 17, 10:48 AM
    • 33,282 Posts
    • 17,211 Thanks
    Quentin
    See #8.

This may not be from Gladstone

Don't pay!
    • SouRz
    • By SouRz 14th Jul 17, 10:51 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    SouRz
    Quentin, are you sure? If it is titled "Letter Before Claim", surely it is from Gladstones?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 14th Jul 17, 11:22 AM
    • 33,282 Posts
    • 17,211 Thanks
    Quentin
    Not sure.

Have you read up on fake Gladstones correspondence (see #8)?
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 14th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    • 6,349 Posts
    • 8,155 Thanks
    beamerguy
    The best way is to to scan the letter and upload it to a free
    site like photobucket

Then paste the URL here changing http: to hxxp and we will
    convert it. Let us see this letter

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Redx
    • By Redx 14th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    • 16,567 Posts
    • 20,721 Thanks
    Redx
    until we see the redacted letter , we cannot tell you

you pooh pooh`d my claim that the address is incorrect, yet it was obvious to me that it was their old 2016 address and not the GOLF CLUB address down the road - you never said you googled it !!

you should have the letter with you and tell us the facts , not fiction , then you will get better help (because DRP were using old letter headed notepaper with the old address on it)

it may well be an LBC from Gladstones , so I doubt they will accept a lower amount , but somebody has added on legal costs, if you lost in court a typical figure would be say £175 , possibly less

and offering a lower amount means they might say no and use it against you in front of a judge

but until you give us the correct details , we cannot help you, even though we tried

but believe me , we know a lot more about this sc@m than you do
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,176Posts Today

8,463Users online

Martin's Twitter