Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alizee
    • By alizee 14th Jul 17, 8:35 AM
    • 302Posts
    • 871Thanks
    alizee
    DIP question
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:35 AM
    DIP question 14th Jul 17 at 8:35 AM
    Hi guys.

I've heard some conflicting information regarding DIP!

We are going through a broker and we were accepted for a DIP with Santander a couple of weeks ago. Our broker has reassured us we will not be going through credit checks again as a DIP we would apply for ourselves is different from a DIP via a broker, and we just need to provide Santander the paperwork in order to complete the application.

There is a hard search on our credit reports by Santander last month.
    Does this sound correct?
Page 1
    • Jkbc90
    • By Jkbc90 14th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Jkbc90
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    When we applied for our DIP (through a broker with Nationwide) they carried out a soft search, a few weeks later they carried out a hard search when they were processing the application x
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 14th Jul 17, 9:28 AM
    • 32,078 Posts
    • 17,169 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:28 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:28 AM
    I've never known Nationwide do a soft search at DIP via a broker. Although system changes in March may have changed this, we have not been notified that is the case.

Nor does Santander. It's fully scored.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Jkbc90
    • By Jkbc90 14th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Jkbc90
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    The day the broker applied for the DIP was the day the soft search was done (16/06/17). It came up as an alert on Experian, it just said a search had been done by Nationwide and it wouldn't affect the score.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 14th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    • 32,078 Posts
    • 17,169 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    Nationwide stopped using Experian on 7 March in favour of Equifax and Call Credit. Do you by any chance have either of those credit files?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Jkbc90
    • By Jkbc90 14th Jul 17, 10:41 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Jkbc90
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:41 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:41 AM
    No, Experian and clearscore. I have just double checked as I was doubting myself. I'm in Northern Ireland if that makes any difference. (Sorry OP for derailing)
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 14th Jul 17, 11:09 AM
    • 9,867 Posts
    • 3,821 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:09 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:09 AM
    What is your concern Alizee?
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • BattleToads
    • By BattleToads 14th Jul 17, 11:15 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    BattleToads
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:15 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:15 AM
    I also had soft search done by Nationwide for recent mortgage application via Experian. However, the wording suggests this was for ID verification.

During the application process it told me it had used Equifax and Call Credit. While I don't monitor my Call Credit file I can see on the Equifax one that it looks like 3 hard searches were done, one of these then got demoted to a soft search as it happened on the same day and got reclassified as a 'subsequent search'
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 14th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 1,777 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    Experian: www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: www.clearscore.com
    Call Credit: www.noddle.co.uk
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,843Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin