Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Jul 17, 8:11 AM
    • 22,913Posts
    • 47,633Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Williams sisters - which is better?
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:11 AM
    Williams sisters - which is better? 14th Jul 17 at 8:11 AM
    Both very successful tennis players, but built very differently.

I knew that Serena is built like a powerhouse but Venus it seems is actually very lithe. I'd never given this much thought until I saw Venus on the news earlier. In fact, I had thought they were twins

So does power or agility win the day when it comes to tennis?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 1
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 14th Jul 17, 8:52 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:52 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:52 AM
    I m afraid its Serena by a country mile, no need to discuss, just look at her record..When they have played against each other in serious tournaments Serena has won the larger majority..Power did the trick yesterday, a brave , all or nothing second serve of 108 mph won her the first set and would have lost it had it failed...She was slower in extended rallies but she rarely had one.
    After watching Venus win this this week I did predict that Jo Konta could nt live with the extra power of Venus slugging away.Slow motion replays did show Jos arm giving way on the racket when defending serves and strong returns.Something that the commentator Martina Navratilova mentioned, and she should know...Something for her to work on and improve and she may win it next year
    Last edited by House Martin; 14-07-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 14th Jul 17, 10:38 AM
    • 6,913 Posts
    • 11,359 Thanks
    andrewf75
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:38 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:38 AM
    I always thought it odd that two sisters had such different body shapes.
    But Serena the better player by a mile.
    • amistupid
    • By amistupid 14th Jul 17, 10:56 AM
    • 52,317 Posts
    • 166,157 Thanks
    amistupid
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:56 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:56 AM
    I wouldn't like to arm wrestle either of them.
    In memory of Chris Hyde #867
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 14th Jul 17, 12:24 PM
    • 3,810 Posts
    • 4,852 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:24 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:24 PM
    With a name like Venus you'd think she'd be fairly 'armless.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 14th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    • 13,240 Posts
    • 25,235 Thanks
    onlyroz
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    They are both magnificent.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    • 14,799 Posts
    • 36,849 Thanks
    elsien
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    I just saw the thread title and wondered who William and his sisters were.

That's what this place does to you - missing apostrophes start to appear normal and before you know it, you're splitting infinitives all over the place.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    • 22,913 Posts
    • 47,633 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    They are both magnificent.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    I officially crown you MSE "Queen of the Understatement".

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Jul 17, 1:21 PM
    • 22,913 Posts
    • 47,633 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:21 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:21 PM
    I just saw the thread title and wondered who William and his sisters were.

That's what this place does to you - missing apostrophes start to appear normal and before you know it, you're splitting infinitives all over the place.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Are you suggesting that my grammar is remiss in some way?

• Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 14th Jul 17, 3:22 PM
    • 3,100 Posts
    • 6,384 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Serena is the more successful player.

Venus is playing exceptionally well this year, I can't see her being beaten, but this is Wimbledon, anything is possible

I have heard at least one commentator say it is down to Serena not playing this year i.e. No sibling rivalry
    • melbury
    • By melbury 14th Jul 17, 5:38 PM
    • 9,565 Posts
    • 14,115 Thanks
    melbury
    I think either of them would give any of the male players a run for their money
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

• House Martin
    • By House Martin 14th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    House Martin
    I think either of them would give any of the male players a run for their money
    Originally posted by melbury
    They would wipe the floor with nearly all amateur males but neither would beat any men in the top 1000..,John Mcenroe is currently 1200 in the world and said on BBC One Show this week, that Serena would beat him unless she played him 6 months pregnant..Sue Barker got it right by saying, "its not relevant , you would nt compare an Olympic male 800 meter runner against a female champ " or any physical sports for that matter.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Jul 17, 11:57 PM
    • 22,913 Posts
    • 47,633 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    They would wipe the floor with nearly all amateur males but neither would beat any men in the top 1000..
    Originally posted by House Martin
    I don't believe this. Look at Serena, she is pure power.

• House Martin
    • By House Martin 15th Jul 17, 11:18 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    House Martin
    I don't believe this. Look at Serena, she is pure power.

Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    In 1998, in Melbourne Karsten Braasch, then 203 rd ranked in the world responded to the Williams sisters that they could beat any male ranked over 200 in the world..He beat Serena 6-1 and Venus 6-2 and said he deliberately played like a 500 ranker to keep the match fun..
    John Mcenroe said he would beat her but not at boxing lol
    Last edited by House Martin; 15-07-2017 at 11:26 AM.
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 15th Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    • 10,144 Posts
    • 18,794 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    Both very successful tennis players, but built very differently.

I knew that Serena is built like a powerhouse but Venus it seems is actually very lithe. I'd never given this much thought until I saw Venus on the news earlier. In fact, I had thought they were twins

So does power or agility win the day when it comes to tennis?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    They are built very differently but you're comparing apples and oranges... Serena is in a different class.. she probably would be if pregnant. She has many aspects of her game of enhanced quality to Venus. On your last point... hmmm.. I've been away from DT for a while.. but you've set up a couple of very odd threads... not been on the gin have ya?..lol. In tennis power and agility are both important as are a vast range of other factors. If you want some idea of how much better Serena is than Venus perhaps look at their record against another long standing top player.. Sharapova... Venus has lost most of her meetings with Sharapova including the last 2... Serena has won her last 18!!
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 15th Jul 17, 1:08 PM
    • 12,022 Posts
    • 46,128 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Serena, she just hits the ball harder

I remember when Venus first appeared and I thought...jeeeez, she hits the ball hard. Then a little while later Serena appeared. And that was the end of competitive womens tennis for a while
    • chris_m
    • By chris_m 15th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    • 5,222 Posts
    • 16,356 Thanks
    chris_m
    Not any more by the look of it - Venus has been beaten, and not by Serena.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,998Posts Today

8,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin