Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Martin L82
    • By Martin L82 14th Jul 17, 3:01 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Martin L82
    Will having family working for the same company increase your chances of employment?
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:01 AM
    Will having family working for the same company increase your chances of employment? 14th Jul 17 at 3:01 AM
    I have managed to secure an interview after passing an online assessment test and I am really hoping I get this job because I am likely to get a sanction on my claim for UC.

The interview is Monday and I have been researching the company in preparation for the interview. I have a family member who works for the same company. I must state the job is not at the same location as my relative and they have had no say in my application.

They have worked for the company for over 25 years and one of the questions that is asked during the interview from what I have read online about other people who have had interviews with this company is why do you want to work for them?

I have been thinking of saying about my family member who has served the company for a long time says it is a great company to work for along with other things I like about the company. What I am unsure about is whether or not saying I have a relative in the same company is a good thing or a bad thing?
Page 1
    • _shel
    • By _shel 14th Jul 17, 5:11 AM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 1,764 Thanks
    _shel
    • 14th Jul 17, 5:11 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 5:11 AM
    I have managed to secure an interview after passing an online assessment test and I am really hoping I get this job because I am likely to get a sanction on my claim for UC.

The interview is Monday and I have been researching the company in preparation for the interview. I have a family member who works for the same company. I must state the job is not at the same location as my relative and they have had no say in my application.

They have worked for the company for over 25 years and one of the questions that is asked during the interview from what I have read online about other people who have had interviews with this company is why do you want to work for them?

I have been thinking of saying about my family member who has served the company for a long time says it is a great company to work for along with other things I like about the company. What I am unsure about is whether or not saying I have a relative in the same company is a good thing or a bad thing?
    Originally posted by Martin L82

Neither, some ignore the fact and some like local government go out of their way to ensure the decision is not compromised by the interviewers having that knowledge. But it wouldn't be bad just that it's not taken into consideration in any way and info withheld from interviewers.
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 14th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    Went for an interview couple of years ago where my Mum had worked for nearly a decade, didn't seem to phase the interviewer one way or other.
    I remember thinking I had to say something in case people were there from Mum's time so no regrets.

Last three interviews more recently I've not even had the interviewer ask the what do you know about us... question. Perhaps interviewer today will break that trend! I know one of the company's when I started to worry about not being asked what do you know and then foisting the information I had found out on them pretty much, it actually turned out the interviewer had only been with the company themselves a couple of months so anything can happen, you can never be completely sure what is going to happen.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,171Posts Today

7,362Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin