Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bremma
    • By Bremma 13th Jul 17, 10:57 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bremma
    Default removal yoyo
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:57 PM
    Default removal yoyo 13th Jul 17 at 10:57 PM
    Please can you help me to resolve an on going default removal issue?
    Back story: in 2002 I took out an Argos card and was using and paying it off until 2009 when I included an outstanding debt on the card in to an Iva, however the Iva company went bust and left me high and dry with my only option was to go bankrupt in May 2010. I was discharged in May 2011. I started building my credit file back up over the last 6 years and other debts with companies have been removed from all 3 credit files Except Home Retail (Argos) in just the Experian file. I contacted Home Retail in 2016 and following sending them a copy of my discharge letter they said the default would be removed in May 2017, it is still there.I

Due to my debts being included in an agreed Iva initially, the other companies removed any trace from my credit file in May 2016, and because after so long I had no proof to send to Argos of them being included in the Iva I accepted their default would stay on my file another year, until 2017. I have called Argos and Experian so many times since May and both keep saying its the others fault that the default is still on my file, and to add insult to injury, looking at my updated Experian file today I found the Argos account has gone from being closed for many years to now being an open account and made my credit score go down to very poor. My Equifax and call credit files are both looking good. Experian say until Argos request the default to be removed they cannot do anything (they have raised 4 disputes but I get the same outcome of being told to contact Argos and send them proof which Argos agree I had already done). Argos keep telling me that they have requested the removal and don't know what else they can do. Someone is lying to me and I don't know who else I can go to to sort this, please can someone help me?

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • kink_bosslady
    • By kink_bosslady 13th Jul 17, 11:33 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    kink_bosslady
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:33 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:33 PM
    If am thinking right, the information on your credit file is managed by the credit reference agencies. I think what happens is the information is passed over to to them for them to update your credit file accordingly. If Argos have passed the information over, then I think it can take a number of days for the credit reference agency to update, I think it's 7 days and usually creditors usually send reports off every 30 days
    • Bremma
    • By Bremma 14th Jul 17, 12:05 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bremma
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:05 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:05 AM
    Thank you for your reply.

Argos hold me twice that they had requested the removal of the default in May, it is now July and it is still there. The only change is that it is now showing as an open account, how I don't know because Argos closed my account with them back in 2010?

Is there a higher company/ombudsmen or someone I can contact to sort this, because I don't know what else I can do?

Argos accepted and agreed they were included in my bankruptcy in 2010, surely I can send my discharge letter to someone who can enforce the removal from Experian? And how come the Argos default has been removed from my Equifax and Call Credit file just not Experian, I dont get it.
    • kink_bosslady
    • By kink_bosslady 14th Jul 17, 1:30 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    kink_bosslady
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:30 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:30 AM
    I think given the background of this it would possibly be the ICO
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Jul 17, 8:38 AM
    • 29,566 Posts
    • 18,689 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:38 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:38 AM
    The ico is who you need.

Remember that your credit score is only seen by yourself, lenders, banks etc see your credit history.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • Bremma
    • By Bremma 14th Jul 17, 3:54 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bremma
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:54 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:54 PM
    Thank you.

Yeah, it's not the score I'm worried about its the fact that lenders will see this on my file and I can't seem to get anywhere with getting it removed from Experian.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,489Posts Today

4,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin