Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Catherine2017
    • By Catherine2017 13th Jul 17, 10:44 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Catherine2017
    Children's pensions
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:44 PM
    Children's pensions 13th Jul 17 at 10:44 PM
    We are thinking of setting up a children's pension for our child. Can you share your insights on the following:
    - Is it a good idea to pay into a children's pension?
    - Which one is better: children's stakeholder pension or SIPP?
    - Which provider is most cost efficient, in terms of setting up fees and annual fees, etc.?
    - Are pension savings safe - if a pension provider closes down for whatever reason, what happens to the pension savings?

Any help is much appreciated.
Page 1
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 14th Jul 17, 11:10 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:10 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:10 PM
    It might be a good idea if tax rules don't change much in the next 60 years. If contributing to a SIPP you get a government top-up but it is likely that your child will pay income tax when drawing income in retirement (the state pension uses up most of a pensioners 0% income tax allowance). The 25% tax free lump sum brings this down a bit.

Defined contribution stock market pensions are protected by FSCS up to £50k (not much these days) however there is no protection if the investment s don't perform and you suffer capital losses.

Personally I am using an Orbis Junior ISA and my own Nutmeg Lifetime ISA to invest for my son so cannot comment on Junior SIPP best buys but Fidelity look safe and simple (eg the low cost tracker) or AJ Bell for DIY investing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,101Posts Today

9,110Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin