Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bloodstained Hurricane
    • By Bloodstained Hurricane 13th Jul 17, 10:40 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Bloodstained Hurricane
    New fines on a car park - no signage, enforceable?
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:40 PM
    New fines on a car park - no signage, enforceable? 13th Jul 17 at 10:40 PM
    Hi

I frequent a car park (for the park-and-ride) for work near where I live, and at work they have sent an email around informing us they are introducing charges. Prior to this, it was completely free.

The problem is that you can only pay for it by scanning a card on a bus, which aren't always there. It could be a 10 minute wait. There has also been no effort to add ANY signage on the car park to say there is now a charge. It is a council owned car park, but i'm just curious that they can't prove I work anywhere and am informed about the charges.

If I get a warning/fine in the post, do I have any recourse to fight it? I know council charges are different to private companies, but this seems a bit too unclear and unprepared to be enforceable.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 13th Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    • 7,154 Posts
    • 7,240 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    so are you intending to use the park and RIDE or are you just parking up and walking to your local works?
    Have YOU had to walk 500 miles?
    Were you advised to walk 500 more?
    You could be entitled to compensation.
    Call the Pro Claimers NOW.
    • Bloodstained Hurricane
    • By Bloodstained Hurricane 13th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Bloodstained Hurricane
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    Just parking. The car park was free to use even if you weren't riding for about 3 months. Then all of a sudden they introduce a charge to just park. The drivers were unaware of the change on the day it rolled out. I park up and walk to work, I only use the bus to scan my payment card.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 13th Jul 17, 10:50 PM
    • 7,154 Posts
    • 7,240 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:50 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:50 PM
    what you are doing is NOT what the system was designed for , the upkeep and security of the car park is paid for by park and ride users , I think you should park elsewhere and pay for your daily parking like most honest people do ,
    • Bloodstained Hurricane
    • By Bloodstained Hurricane 13th Jul 17, 10:54 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Bloodstained Hurricane
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:54 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:54 PM
    thats a nice opinion there but not what i'm asking at all
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 13th Jul 17, 11:02 PM
    • 7,154 Posts
    • 7,240 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:02 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:02 PM
    this forum is to assist people that have wrongly been issued tickets , not to assist people with cheating and breaking laws , please go and ask your question on mumsnet , or even ask a daily mail reader

I,m out!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Jul 17, 11:10 PM
    • 48,143 Posts
    • 61,583 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:10 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:10 PM
    Just parking. The car park was free to use even if you weren't riding for about 3 months. Then all of a sudden they introduce a charge to just park. The drivers were unaware of the change on the day it rolled out. I park up and walk to work, I only use the bus to scan my payment card.
    Originally posted by Bloodstained Hurricane
    Ask the Council for the Parking Places Order and any changes made to it. You can then see what the actual restrictions and contraventions are - or not. You can only contravene an Order, not a sign which merely communicates the Order.

It's a public document - you are allowed to request a copy of any Order for any Council road or car park.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Bloodstained Hurricane
    • By Bloodstained Hurricane 13th Jul 17, 11:27 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Bloodstained Hurricane
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:27 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:27 PM
    Thank you Coupon Mad, I will indeed do that. My work place and the council had an agreement of employee parking until a month or so ago, fines recently came in. They don't have cctv covering the whole parking area so it would be good to see how they go about monitoring cars/ drivers/ who has paid etc. Cheers
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    • 48,143 Posts
    • 61,583 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    They aren't trying to use ANPR to issue fines by post, are they?
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Bloodstained Hurricane
    • By Bloodstained Hurricane 13th Jul 17, 11:43 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Bloodstained Hurricane
    Sorry man couldn't tell you. I mean I've heard no actual information about the company/ fines/ amounts etc, the only info we have is that the car park now costs a small fee to park there, and during the transfer period we get 2 warnings before any fines get sent out. In all honesty, it all seems a little unthought out and rushed, no real thought into how to implement the charges. I mean, you don't enter your car reg anywhere, cctv doesn't cover the whole grounds, and the only way to pay is via the bus. I'm not saying it's a scam but something seems a little odd about this. If I get anything in the post because I didn't pay, I'll let you know!
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 14th Jul 17, 7:55 AM
    • 3,653 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    Half_way
    is this a council car park, or private?
    who is threatening tickets?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,109Posts Today

7,295Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin