Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SPnomore
    • By SPnomore 13th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 379Thanks
    SPnomore
    Best free email provider?
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    Best free email provider? 13th Jul 17 at 9:37 PM
    Is there any consensus on the best. i.e. reliable, un-intrusive and hopefully future proof?

I looked into this a while back but got put off when the "best" wanted my mobile phone number to register. Now, as long as they are trustworthy and won't spam me, I accept that will be ok.

Been with Virgin Media since before they were Virgin Media but cannot stand them a minute longer, so need to get rid asap and preferably with an independent supplier rather than tying myself into a specific provider.

I ideally need about 6 addresses to keep things separate if possible and I currently use IMAP on my mobile if that is important.
    Last edited by SPnomore; 13-07-2017 at 9:44 PM.
Page 2
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jul 17, 11:15 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    They don't block Gmail or GMX, they search for disposable email address, one-time email address, throwaway email address or temporary email addresses, which are a different thing.
    Go onto fraudlab site for instance and you can check a standard GMX email address, for example, and it will verify it as not disposable.
    Originally posted by RumRat
    They do, i use all these in my line of business.
    This is part of the list of banned emails that Maxmind and Fraudlab use ( notice the ones i have marked with a red line.

• RumRat
    • By RumRat 16th Jul 17, 1:23 AM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    RumRat
    This is part of the list of banned emails that Maxmind and Fraudlab use ( notice the ones i have marked with a red line.

Originally posted by angryparcel
    Unless you pay for their service and add your own list they don't ban them.
    Test an email address here http://www.fraudlabspro.com/disposable-email-validation-tool
    GMX is not red flagged.
    I know we won't agree on this so the argument is pointless. Suffice to say I've never known anyone banned from any site for using GMX or Gmail. Any site doing so would lose a hell of a lot of business if they did.
    I'm willing to be persuaded. So let me know which site I would be banned from using my email address.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 16th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    DavidP24
    I agree, gone are the days of banning online email accounts, you are living in the past or rather the sites than still ban them are, these are the days of the cloud.

They would be cutting out anyone with only an iPad, Tablet or mobile phone.

It is only tired old sites that have not been updated for years that still have that.

As for GMX, it is part of 1&1 and Mail.com, both huge.

Typically companies are banned when they do not take measures to make sure subscribers are genuine. Some go a stage further and share their attempted abuse attempts either via Spamhaus or directly.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 16th Jul 17, 10:38 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    I agree, gone are the days of banning online email accounts, you are living in the past or rather the sites than still ban them are, these are the days of the cloud.

They would be cutting out anyone with only an iPad, Tablet or mobile phone.

It is only tired old sites that have not been updated for years that still have that.

As for GMX, it is part of 1&1 and Mail.com, both huge.

Typically companies are banned when they do not take measures to make sure subscribers are genuine. Some go a stage further and share their attempted abuse attempts either via Spamhaus or directly.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    These lists are set by Maxmind and Fraudlab i will not tell then that they are wrong and MSE is right
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 16th Jul 17, 11:02 AM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Thanks, I would hate for them to know
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 16th Jul 17, 1:36 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north

<SNIP>
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    Just checked my gmail address with Fraudlab and they haven't an issue with it.

The only mail order outfit I've had an issue with was HP when I tried to order a laptop, their accounts department wouldn't allow dispatch to send it, despite having taken the money from my credit card. No idea what the issue was, they wouldn't say.
    • BonsaiClouds
    • By BonsaiClouds 18th Jul 17, 1:46 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    BonsaiClouds
    But Thunderbird is a mail application. It doesn't supply email. You need an email account first!
    Originally posted by giraffe69
    Ahh yes, my mistake.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,489Posts Today

4,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin