Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SPnomore
    • By SPnomore 13th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 392Thanks
    SPnomore
    Best free email provider?
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    Best free email provider? 13th Jul 17 at 9:37 PM
    Is there any consensus on the best. i.e. reliable, un-intrusive and hopefully future proof?

I looked into this a while back but got put off when the "best" wanted my mobile phone number to register. Now, as long as they are trustworthy and won't spam me, I accept that will be ok.

Been with Virgin Media since before they were Virgin Media but cannot stand them a minute longer, so need to get rid asap and preferably with an independent supplier rather than tying myself into a specific provider.

I ideally need about 6 addresses to keep things separate if possible and I currently use IMAP on my mobile if that is important.
    Last edited by SPnomore; 13-07-2017 at 9:44 PM.
Page 2
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 16th Jul 17, 10:38 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    I agree, gone are the days of banning online email accounts, you are living in the past or rather the sites than still ban them are, these are the days of the cloud.

They would be cutting out anyone with only an iPad, Tablet or mobile phone.

It is only tired old sites that have not been updated for years that still have that.

As for GMX, it is part of 1&1 and Mail.com, both huge.

Typically companies are banned when they do not take measures to make sure subscribers are genuine. Some go a stage further and share their attempted abuse attempts either via Spamhaus or directly.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    These lists are set by Maxmind and Fraudlab i will not tell then that they are wrong and MSE is right
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 16th Jul 17, 1:36 PM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    They do, i use all these in my line of business.
    This is part of the list of banned emails that Maxmind and Fraudlab use ( notice the ones i have marked with a red line.

<SNIP>
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    Just checked my gmail address with Fraudlab and they haven't an issue with it.

The only mail order outfit I've had an issue with was HP when I tried to order a laptop, their accounts department wouldn't allow dispatch to send it, despite having taken the money from my credit card. No idea what the issue was, they wouldn't say.
    • BonsaiClouds
    • By BonsaiClouds 18th Jul 17, 1:46 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    BonsaiClouds
    But Thunderbird is a mail application. It doesn't supply email. You need an email account first!
    Originally posted by giraffe69
    Ahh yes, my mistake.
    • Mabel2012
    • By Mabel2012 8th Aug 17, 10:47 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mabel2012
    FreeBest email provider to work with a mail client
    I used hotmail, Tiscali, yahoo and Gmail email providers for years. I dropped hotmail when I had some issues and started to use Tiscali when I was on dial up internet service. That worked fine but when I started having issues with Talk Talk I decided to have another email address, that was when I signed up to Yahoo. After leaving Talk Talk, I expected to lose my Tiscali email as they told me they couldn't guarantee it would be available after a few months. I have a couple of Gmail accounts but I don't really like them. Now, due to the security problems on Yahoo, Tiscali is my most reliable email address. I use Thunderbird email client to manage my various email addresses and that was just fine until last week when it suddenly had problems downloading mail from Yahoo.

Has anyone heard of the "[CLIENTBUG] SELECT command is not valid in this state" security problem. It started out by rejecting valid passwords and after changing the password several times after second guessing if it was correct, it stopped downloading the messages to Thunderbird and up popped the Clientbug error message. This happens every time I try and download messages. All folders from my default Yahoo account on Thunderbird have vanished with this Command bug and that is so annoying as Thunderbird is great for organising my messages.

I'm now looking for a new email provider. I want one that works with an email client so I don't have to keep logging in and out of several email addresses. Thunderbird worked great for me for more than ten years and ironically it is still downloading Tiscali emails. It's just as well as I don't know how to access them in Tiscali/TalkTalk.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 8th Aug 17, 11:02 PM
    • 8,268 Posts
    • 6,227 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Welcome to the world of Yahoo I send an email from TB using my yahoo account, to two of my accounts, and then reply to the Yahoo address I get this
    Code:
    This user doesn't have a yahoo.com account
    Oh yes it does otherwise how can I reply ?? The headers say it's from me@yahoo.com but yahoo says nope
    Use gmx, or google perhaps
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 8th Aug 17, 11:09 PM
    • 8,268 Posts
    • 6,227 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    I have since found this https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-for-desktop/SLN2153.html?impressions=true
    Apparently despite me getting mails from yahoostating from me@yahoo.com the only way of receiving them is to use reply-to me@yahoo.co.uk Hmmmmm
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 9th Aug 17, 9:36 AM
    • 665 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    virgo17
    I'm now looking for a new email provider. I want one that works with an email client so I don't have to keep logging in and out of several email addresses. Thunderbird worked great for me for more than ten years and ironically it is still downloading Tiscali emails.
    Originally posted by Mabel2012
    I use GMX using IMAP with Thunderbird and it is an excellent combination. You get up to ten email addresses, one main and nine aliases.

It isn't my main email service as I run my own server. However, for family email it works well and sometimes when away or travelling it is useful to use their web interface.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 9th Aug 17, 10:13 AM
    • 2,356 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    britishboy
    All
    Sorry to jump in, but am after a new email privder too, looks like GMX has a lot of votes. Random question, is is better/safer to not have it as 'your name' @ email.com, or better to, or does it not matter? I'll obviously avoid something stupid like 'hunkylover69@ blah blah, but wanted peoples opinions on to use your name, or not?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Aug 17, 11:37 AM
    • 18,543 Posts
    • 14,271 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Depends what you need the address for, if you're intending to identify yourself in the emails that you send then using your name in the address is a good idea. But if you're intending to stay anonymous use something else, I tend to use part of my name with some random-ish numbers.
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 9th Aug 17, 11:54 AM
    • 813 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    Shrimply
    Also a fan of gmx having given up with Yahoo a few years back for just being generally flaky and being a complete pain.

I have one that is literally just my three initials which I generally use for most things. Brilliant for handing out because it's so short and one which is my more complete name which I use for more professional correspondence.
    • rmg1
    • By rmg1 9th Aug 17, 2:26 PM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    rmg1
    I used hotmail, Tiscali, yahoo and Gmail email providers for years. I dropped hotmail when I had some issues and started to use Tiscali when I was on dial up internet service. That worked fine but when I started having issues with Talk Talk I decided to have another email address, that was when I signed up to Yahoo. After leaving Talk Talk, I expected to lose my Tiscali email as they told me they couldn't guarantee it would be available after a few months. I have a couple of Gmail accounts but I don't really like them. Now, due to the security problems on Yahoo, Tiscali is my most reliable email address. I use Thunderbird email client to manage my various email addresses and that was just fine until last week when it suddenly had problems downloading mail from Yahoo.

Has anyone heard of the "[CLIENTBUG] SELECT command is not valid in this state" security problem. It started out by rejecting valid passwords and after changing the password several times after second guessing if it was correct, it stopped downloading the messages to Thunderbird and up popped the Clientbug error message. This happens every time I try and download messages. All folders from my default Yahoo account on Thunderbird have vanished with this Command bug and that is so annoying as Thunderbird is great for organising my messages.

I'm now looking for a new email provider. I want one that works with an email client so I don't have to keep logging in and out of several email addresses. Thunderbird worked great for me for more than ten years and ironically it is still downloading Tiscali emails. It's just as well as I don't know how to access them in Tiscali/TalkTalk.
    My MIL had an issue with Thunderbird and a Yahoo (I think) account.
    I had to go into the settings on the account (using webmail) and allow it to use applications with less secure settings (the setting had wording along those lines) and then everything was fine.
    Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse?

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
    • Mabel2012
    • By Mabel2012 9th Aug 17, 6:30 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mabel2012
    GMX email accounts to replace Yahoo email to be managed in Thunderbrd mail client
    Are GMX alias accounts the same as the main account. If I use Thunderbird to manage them will each have its own folders and work independently of the main account and the other alias email addresses.

PS. where are the MSE account areas for member profiles & subscriptions to topics. Normally on sites like this it is obvious. I thought it would be under Help but that is about manners on the site or sending emails for help that may not be answered. Please point me in the right direction.
    • Mabel2012
    • By Mabel2012 9th Aug 17, 7:32 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mabel2012
    I never used a telephone number to log into Yahoo or had my Yahoo email address blocked in any transaction. I was happy to have a telephone number (not my main number) on my account for recovery of my password on the less used email accounts.
    • Mabel2012
    • By Mabel2012 9th Aug 17, 8:01 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mabel2012
    Yahoo [CLIENTBUG] SELECT command
    The Yahoo security issues that happened in the middle of last week caused me to look here for another email provider. Oddly, the problem seemed to happen in stages from early July until now. Changing to less secure settings did not work for me. I am still accessing Yahoo mail direct from my Firefox browser and will continue until I switch providers.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 9th Aug 17, 8:13 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 1,400 Thanks
    RumRat
    Are GMX alias accounts the same as the main account. If I use Thunderbird to manage them will each have its own folders and work independently of the main account and the other alias email addresses.
    They are delivered to Thunderbird in the inbox under the alias email address. You can then set TB rules to sort them into their own folders if required.

PS. where are the MSE account areas for member profiles & subscriptions to topics. Normally on sites like this it is obvious. I thought it would be under Help but that is about manners on the site or sending emails for help that may not be answered. Please point me in the right direction.
    Go to the top of the forum....'User Tools' To the right from 'Forum Help'.

By the way, for what it's worth, IMO, best rid of Yahoo....
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Mabel2012
    • By Mabel2012 11th Aug 17, 7:13 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mabel2012
    RumRat

Thank you for the information on GMX, it sounds good and has many fans on here. I really miss having Thunderbird to manage my emails. I will set up a couple of GMX email accounts/addresses and work them for a while before I start changing my email addresses on all my on line accounts. I will leave the personal email addresses until I'm happy that GMX works fine for me.

Attached is a snip of the top of the Forum page. If you see the cameo on the bottom left of the snip, that seems to allow me to set up subscriptions, change profile or passwords. This is not mentioned in the help videos. You said to look for Forum Help, I can only find Help, just to the left of Etiquette and Rules. I'm not blind but I see a trip to Specsavers coming up.

I couldn't upload the snip mentioned above. I can normally either copy it in the message body or upload or attach it but that does not seem possible on here. And the Help at the top starts with antisocial behaviour which I think sits better in Rules.
    Last edited by Mabel2012; 11-08-2017 at 7:49 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,737Posts Today

9,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GabbyLogan: @MartinSLewis you are just brilliant. Love the format, great pairing with Angelica ????

• Hi folks. Thanks for watching.am shattered. Hope you enjoyed the show. Must admit can't remember any of it right no? https://t.co/zPn8xwVKqv

• Anthony here (Martin's tweet-double), signing off now. The next voice you hear will be Martin's. Thanks all and goodnight. #MartinLewis

• Follow Martin