Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SPnomore
    • By SPnomore 13th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 379Thanks
    SPnomore
    Best free email provider?
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    Best free email provider? 13th Jul 17 at 9:37 PM
    Is there any consensus on the best. i.e. reliable, un-intrusive and hopefully future proof?

I looked into this a while back but got put off when the "best" wanted my mobile phone number to register. Now, as long as they are trustworthy and won't spam me, I accept that will be ok.

Been with Virgin Media since before they were Virgin Media but cannot stand them a minute longer, so need to get rid asap and preferably with an independent supplier rather than tying myself into a specific provider.

I ideally need about 6 addresses to keep things separate if possible and I currently use IMAP on my mobile if that is important.
    Last edited by SPnomore; 13-07-2017 at 9:44 PM.
Page 1
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 13th Jul 17, 9:46 PM
    • 7,362 Posts
    • 5,219 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:46 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:46 PM
    I've used GMX for years. Super reliable, IMAP support, and support for most things that any email service is likely to support.

https://www.gmx.co.uk/
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 13th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 1,918 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    mail.com does it for me
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Jul 17, 9:54 PM
    • 17,875 Posts
    • 13,563 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:54 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:54 PM
    GMX is also my free email provider of choice at the moment, although I have accounts with several others too. However, my main accounts are paid for.
    • BonsaiClouds
    • By BonsaiClouds 14th Jul 17, 2:39 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BonsaiClouds
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:39 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:39 PM
    Thunderbird is great, especially for being able to really easily switch between multiple email inboxes.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 14th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    • 2,120 Posts
    • 1,851 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    Thunderbird is great, especially for being able to really easily switch between multiple email inboxes.
    But Thunderbird is a mail application. It doesn't supply email. You need an email account first!
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 14th Jul 17, 4:50 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:50 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:50 PM
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gmail. The phone app works well and I don't see adverts on the web page when checking on a Windows PC.

I appreciate that Google will be using my data, for more sensitive stuff I have Tutanota (https://tutanota.com) that provides encrypted email and secure storage. You get 1GB of storage space for free.

For the paranoid, there is ProtonMail (https://protonmail.com), you only get 500MB of free storage. They are based in Switzerland and have high levels of security.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Jul 17, 6:17 PM
    • 25,276 Posts
    • 10,033 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 14th Jul 17, 6:17 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 6:17 PM
    I have everything from AOL, Yahoo and Gmail etc etc. They all do the job although Yahoo appear to have more security issues than the others.

Maybe its just reported more than the others?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 14th Jul 17, 9:54 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 1,299 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:54 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:54 PM
    Another vote for GMX, used them for years without a single problem. Does most of what Gmail does, but a little less nosey.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 14th Jul 17, 10:58 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    DavidP24
    I use them all and they each have their nice bits and their not so nice bits

Gmail is great as a spam filter, especially if you use Outlook or Thunderbird, I use to to collect from other providers and my own domains then collect with Outlook or another online client.

Gmail is also good for programming, rules, sending mail from other accounts, but as a web client I HATE the conversation mode and not keen on labels rather than folders.

Yahoo was great but they recently changed design of portal, so switch it back if you get it. It has more function than GMX but you need an adblocker.

GMX is a great web service, no SMS required although I would just get a disposable sim for any site demanding a mobile. Mobile companies will send you 2 at a time.

Hotmail/Live/Outlook AKA online Microsoft mail is just about tolerable, really bad UI design, still I have one I use every day.

When you say you need 5 or 6 do you mean you want to setup 5 or 6 accounts or just have an alias as Yahoo offers and put them into folders.

You could also use your own domain with any of the above, cheapest way to do that is with one.com and using gmail and say GMX.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 14th Jul 17, 11:26 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    you will find a lot of online websites block free emails like gmail, yahoo, GMX etc.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 15th Jul 17, 12:14 AM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Strange, I have never had that, certainly not in the last 15 years maybe 20.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 15th Jul 17, 12:26 AM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    you will find a lot of online websites block free emails like gmail, yahoo, GMX etc.
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    I've not had any websites stop me using a Gmail address and I do a lot of web ordering.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 15th Jul 17, 12:37 AM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 1,299 Thanks
    RumRat
    Rubbish.......Never happens.
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Jorell00
    • By Jorell00 15th Jul 17, 12:53 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Jorell00
    Another vote for GMX. You can have up to 10 Alias email addresses, which are all routed into your main account. which can be disposed of if that particular address gets lots of spam. And a new address added. I might not have explained that very well (it is drunk o'clock) , but have a look, and you'll get what I mean.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Jul 17, 2:49 AM
    • 25,276 Posts
    • 10,033 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Originally posted by RumRat

Not quite Never.

Vodafone do not like AOL. Tried more than a few times to register and never receive their confirmation email.

On the parking boards they tell users not to use Hotmail to register on pepipoo. They do not allow Hotmail.

Ive been to a few sites than have banned some email providers, usually after a major spam attack. But things are better since email providers started to limit the number of accounts users could create or just make it harder work to open an account.

Like yahoo insisting on a phone number when registering. Do they still do that?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Originally posted by RumRat
    It does and quite a lot

Anti fraud systems like Maxming, fraudlab, VariLogix Fraudcall
    has this feature

Block orders from free email addresses such as Hotmail & Yahoo!
    what it does is block orders being made using free email addresses, once orders are placed you can change the email address to a free email address.

companies can buy plugins etc. that list all know free Email addresses ( so far 1,456 know free email addresses)

The issue is when you have companies like AOL which has free and paid services using the same AOL email addresses.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel

Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I think so, i have had a Yahoo email for years ( use this address when i order anything online, so if they spam i dont get these on my main address) and when i login it keeps asking me for a phone number, which i dont give and i still get access to my account
    • Jivesinger
    • By Jivesinger 15th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    • 1,168 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    Jivesinger
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I don't know, but having a phone number is one of the primary ways to recover an email account if there are problems, so I think that's something different.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 15th Jul 17, 10:56 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 1,299 Thanks
    RumRat
    It does and quite a lot

Anti fraud systems like Maxming, fraudlab, VariLogix Fraudcall
    has this feature
    They don't block Gmail or GMX, they search for disposable email address, one-time email address, throwaway email address or temporary email addresses, which are a different thing.
    Go onto fraudlab site for instance and you can check a standard GMX email address, for example, and it will verify it as not disposable.
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,691Posts Today

6,939Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin