Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grumpycat
    • By Grumpycat 13th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Grumpycat
    Landscape gardener work is awful, where do I stand?
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    Landscape gardener work is awful, where do I stand? 13th Jul 17 at 9:01 PM
    Hi
    I'm looking for some advice if possible please. I've employed a landscape gardener to redo my garden, he advised it was a two week job and that he would start in February. It's now July and he still hasn't finished, he has worked maybe half a day a week with numerous apologies but no real reason for not finishing the work.

I have asked two other landscape gardeners to look at the work and they have advised that it is of a terrible standard. I am very upset and want to get the work rectified, although preferably not by the original Gardner who hasn't finished.

I didn't sign a contract and only have an email with his quote along with multiple text conversations promising the work would be done when I've requested it finished with 7/14 days.

Does this count as a contract with him? Can I go through the consumer act and request money back or the works rectified? Do I have to offer him the opportunity to rectify the works or can I get someone else to and give him the bill?!

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Page 2
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 14th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    If wecouldnt get any money back it would be £10k but if we get the original £4K back for the awful job we'd still pay £6k which we'd be willing to pay but the original guy is unlikely to give us our money back I'm sure!
    Originally posted by Grumpycat
    Did you get any other quotes before he started?
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 14th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    my dad is a landscape gardener and from what you described you seem to have massively overpaid, good job or not.

unless of course maybe your garden is the size of a park?
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 14th Jul 17, 5:54 PM
    • 15,243 Posts
    • 11,015 Thanks
    hollydays
    my dad is a landscape gardener and from what you described you seem to have massively overpaid, good job or not.

unless of course maybe your garden is the size of a park?
    Originally posted by Chrysalis
    I'm impressed but not sure how you could say that from the little you've been told?
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 14th Jul 17, 10:40 PM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    I'm impressed but not sure how you could say that from the little you've been told?
    Originally posted by hollydays
    There has been details of the work provided, the only thing lacking really is the size of the space the work is been done on.
    • Grumpycat
    • By Grumpycat 14th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Grumpycat
    The garden is only small, maybe 8m by 10m?!

We got two quotes before we went with the original guy and they were both around the £5k. The new quote is higher I presume because of the time it will take to lift and clean the slabs and then relay them.

We wrote a letter this evening to him and have said under the consumer rights act he hasn't done the work to a reasonable standard within a reasonable time period - given him the option of rectifying it within 3 weeks or giving us the money we have paid him back. If he does neither we will either go through section 75 of the credit card act or small claims court.

I just hope we've done everything right and can come to an amicable resolution!
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 15th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 731 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    You paid him by creditcard?
    • Grumpycat
    • By Grumpycat 15th Jul 17, 10:32 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Grumpycat
    Yes. It seems like the section 75 process through our credit will take a lot of time to sort out but I'm thinking we try that too.
    • Diary
    • By Diary 15th Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Diary
    Yes. It seems like the section 75 process through our credit will take a lot of time to sort out but I'm thinking we try that too.
    Originally posted by Grumpycat
    It would really help if you gave the relevant information very early on when you first post.

You will need to be much more forthcoming to get anywhere with this - on here and in person as it were.
    • Grumpycat
    • By Grumpycat 15th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Grumpycat
    I didn't want to post a lengthy story about everything that has happened and I was mainly asking for advice on where I stand and what action I could take if I've employed a dodgy gardener, I didn't think the details were as necessary.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 16th Jul 17, 8:03 PM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 3,073 Thanks
    DoaM
    When it comes to consumer rights then knowing the method of payment is always critical info.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 16th Jul 17, 8:16 PM
    • 9,226 Posts
    • 117,245 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Do you know where this guy lives?
    If so you could go round and visit him and ask what / when he is going to finish and put right.

Personally I think he is stringing you along, and doing other work for others ,and you are at the bottom of the pile, and the work is outside his capabilities.

I wouldn't let him back on site, and start now with a small claims court action.

Don't pay him any more money either.
    Sun, Sea
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,393Users online

Martin's Twitter