Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AMH3
    • By AMH3 13th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 3Thanks
    AMH3
    Remove dent from privacy glass ?
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    Remove dent from privacy glass ? 13th Jul 17 at 8:44 PM
    Hi, I've just discovered stone chips on my rear passenger side window, its privacy glass so is very noticeable. Just wanted to know if this can be repaired, they are only about pin head size two of them but stand out on the black window. Would glass polish bring them out or would I end up with a big clear patch. Anybody else had same and found a solution? I did dab a black marker on one which hides it slightly from the outside but looks like a black spot from the inside.
Page 1
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 13th Jul 17, 11:06 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    jobdone1
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:06 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:06 PM
    Remove dent from glass pmsl
    • AMH3
    • By AMH3 13th Jul 17, 11:12 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    AMH3
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:12 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:12 PM
    Job done 1 what do you think those windscreen chip repair people do then if not to remove dents from glass PMSL ! I was asking as it's privacy glass not clear so not sure if dents can be repaired on this type of glass.
    Last edited by AMH3; 13-07-2017 at 11:22 PM.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 13th Jul 17, 11:57 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:57 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:57 PM
    It's not a dent, it's a chip.

Did the privacy glass come from the factory or was it a tint which was applied by a third party? In any event, if it really bothers you that much, get the glass replaced, then get it tinted. They'll be able to match up the tint no problem.
    • AMH3
    • By AMH3 14th Jul 17, 7:29 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    AMH3
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:29 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:29 AM
    Oh really some people on this forum need to get a life, dent meaning is " a depression in a surface" and it's quite clear what I was describing anyway, some very sad people on here. I was hoping some windscreen repair employer or similar, someone with experience would comment and tell me if tinted glass can be repaired like a windscreen can not time wasters with nothing better to do. its factory glass came on the car from new.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 14th Jul 17, 8:21 AM
    • 9,730 Posts
    • 6,755 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:21 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:21 AM
    You wont be able to polish it out, and if you try all you'll do is fill the chip with polish residue which will be more noticeable. I think you'll just have to live with it.
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 14th Jul 17, 8:27 AM
    • 713 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    jobdone1
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:27 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:27 AM
    Your sad better grammar please
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 14th Jul 17, 8:36 AM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 945 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:36 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:36 AM
    Your sad better grammar please
    Originally posted by jobdone1
    Oh the irony in that statement.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 14th Jul 17, 9:24 AM
    • 1,913 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:24 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:24 AM
    Oh the irony in that statement.
    Originally posted by interstellaflyer
    You beat me to it! Unless it was an ironic statement!
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 14th Jul 17, 9:40 AM
    • 713 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    jobdone1
    Ironic indeed
    • takman
    • By takman 14th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    takman
    Oh really some people on this forum need to get a life, dent meaning is " a depression in a surface" and it's quite clear what I was describing anyway, some very sad people on here. I was hoping some windscreen repair employer or similar, someone with experience would comment and tell me if tinted glass can be repaired like a windscreen can not time wasters with nothing better to do. its factory glass came on the car from new.
    Originally posted by AMH3
    I think it's better that people correct you online on an anonymous forums before you make a fool of yourself when you tell someone you have a dent in your glass. Glass can only be dented if it is heated which makes it less brittle to allow it to be dented.

So if you actually have dented glass then it could be heated up and the dent pushed out.

But a chip on the other hand is where the glass has been damaged and some of the glass has been removed. The only way to fix this is by replacing the material that is lost using resin, which is how chip repair companies do it.
    But considering it's tinted then unless they use a tinted resin and do a very good job then it will still stand out.

So i don't think there is anything you can do that would repair the glass to a visually acceptable appearance.
    Last edited by takman; 14-07-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Corrected by Iceweasel (#15)
    • loskie
    • By loskie 14th Jul 17, 10:17 AM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    loskie
    Is the glass tinted to create "privacy glass" or is it by means of a film being applied to the glass surface?
    If the latter go to a glass tint place, have the existing film removed and new film replied. Otherwise just live with it.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 14th Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    • 4,166 Posts
    • 3,016 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    AFAIK factory tinted privacy glass is produced by treating the inside surface of the glass, so the chips that you have are on the outer clear layer/side of the glass.

You applying a black felt pen into the chip on the outer non-tinted side will simply great a black dot - as you discovered.

The usual chip repair system can be carried out on tinted glass just as it can on clear glass - with clear resin.

Good luck.
    • AMH3
    • By AMH3 14th Jul 17, 11:12 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    AMH3
    Ice weasel thanks at least someone on here who has some knowledge and provides a answer unlike the other time wasters
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 14th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    • 9,730 Posts
    • 6,755 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Ice weasel thanks at least someone on here who has some knowledge and provides a answer unlike the other time wasters
    What about mine!
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 14th Jul 17, 12:52 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Car54 another one with nothing worth saying, so many time wasters on this forum

Now that's what I call irony...
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 14th Jul 17, 7:15 PM
    • 990 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Is there really any need to troll the OP when you know what he means? Different if you didn't, but you ALL without exception know what he means. I hope you all feel suitably empowered.
    • takman
    • By takman 14th Jul 17, 8:47 PM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    takman
    Is there really any need to troll the OP when you know what he means? Different if you didn't, but you ALL without exception know what he means. I hope you all feel suitably empowered.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    If he hadn't have made such a fuss about being corrected and then refused to accept that calling it a "Dent" is incorrect then i wouldn't have even commented.

How can you have a sensible discussion with someone who can't accept that a small chip in glass cannot be classed as a dent?.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 14th Jul 17, 9:25 PM
    • 990 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    If he hadn't have made such a fuss about being corrected and then refused to accept that calling it a "Dent" is incorrect then i wouldn't have even commented.

How can you have a sensible discussion with someone who can't accept that a small chip in glass cannot be classed as a dent?.
    Originally posted by takman
    Why is it so important to debate something which is understood by all what is intended? There is a time when it's important for clarity. This wasn't one of them
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 14th Jul 17, 11:42 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    But it's not a dent - it's a chip.

OP could simply have said " Sorry you are all correct it's a chip"

I only looked at this thread because I couldn't understand how glass could be dented

(EDIT that's because I didn't understand what OP meant)
    Last edited by Manxman in exile; 14-07-2017 at 11:44 PM. Reason: addition
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,590Posts Today

5,769Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin