Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MattHicks
    • By MattHicks 13th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 3Thanks
    MattHicks
    Government pressure on parking firms
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    Government pressure on parking firms 13th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    Hi

I wanted to discuss whether there were any current or planned actions to lobby government over the actions of the private parking industry?

It appears that the industry has a strong influence in Westminster, which means a counterbalancing influence is need if we want to redress the situation to a fair level.

I would be interested in helping or looking into setting something up.
Page 1
    • Ryandavis1959
    • By Ryandavis1959 13th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Ryandavis1959
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    We have been campaigning for legislation in Scotland through our Facebook group. It looks like a Tory MSP MURDO FRASER is going to propose an independent appeals service in Scotland, and the SNP may even back it. So if you want IAS in Scotland then contact Murdo Fraser and give him your support.
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 13th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 3,772 Posts
    • 5,333 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    Tory MSP MURDO FRASER is going to propose an independent appeals service in Scotland
    As there is no independent appeals service in England, then what exactly is being proposed for Scotland
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • MattHicks
    • By MattHicks 13th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    MattHicks
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    I think what's needed is a coordinated way of engaging with the right people in government so they can see how unreasonable - and for many people damaging - the situation has become.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,353 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    As there is no independent appeals service in England, then what exactly is being proposed for Scotland
    Originally posted by Half_way
    I wouldn't be asking a poster who appears to have a clear leaning in favour of Smart Parking...

I think what's needed is a coordinated way of engaging with the right people in government so they can see how unreasonable - and for many people damaging - the situation has become.
    Originally posted by MattHicks
    To the OP, yes, we agree.

Organised lobbying has already been happening for some time. Worry ye not.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• MattHicks
    • By MattHicks 13th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    MattHicks
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    @Coupon-mad, that's good to hear. Do you have more details you could share here or privately? I have a background in comms and would be interested in lending a hand.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,353 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    Can't really - the message would have to self-distruct!
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• Johno100
    • By Johno100 13th Jul 17, 10:00 PM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:00 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:00 PM
    We have been campaigning for legislation in Scotland through our Facebook group. It looks like a Tory MSP MURDO FRASER is going to propose an independent appeals service in Scotland, and the SNP may even back it. So if you want IAS in Scotland then contact Murdo Fraser and give him your support.
    Originally posted by Ryandavis1959
    An IAS (Independent Appeals Service) or the IPC's 'kangaroo court' version?
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 13th Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 7,639 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    Hi

I wanted to discuss whether there were any current or planned actions to lobby government over the actions of the private parking industry?

It appears that the industry has a strong influence in Westminster, which means a counterbalancing influence is need if we want to redress the situation to a fair level.

I would be interested in helping or looking into setting something up.
    Originally posted by MattHicks
    Matt .... there was a government petition started by Barry Beavis, nothing happened with that.
    There has been different debates and we were promised that changes would be made in April last year.
    ANOTHER GOVERNMENT LIE, we are still waiting.
    The headache here is the DCLG and one Marcus Jones MP who
    like many of his fellow MP's is completely useless.
    Nine months ago Theresa May vowed to stop the abuse of CCJ's
    and in true colours of this defunct PM ... NO GUESSES, nothing happened

I would agree that there is influence in Westminster and that it probably starts with Parking Eye's owner .... CAPITA who have many fingers in the government pie

It is difficult to understand why the DCLG drag their heels on this
    and we can only speculate that a deal is being struck, I think there is one.

Right now, May is on a slippery slope and her MP's will be unsure of their future

I think lobbying the government is a waste of time as in May's
    government she fails time after time.
    People simply do not believe Mrs May and who can blame them

The answer is to now hit below the belt and that is a strong letter
    to Theresa May even listing her failings in this matter.
    Her failings are severe and despite her stating that she wants a fairer Britain, it is just bulls*it

There is a list of email addresses you can find here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5524754

These are cross party contacts. Start at post #287 and read onwards.

You can add other party's and indeed you can advise your own MP
    of your voting intentions if he or she fails you

Put simply, you use the competition
    Last edited by beamerguy; 13-07-2017 at 10:12 PM.
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 13th Jul 17, 11:46 PM
    • 3,772 Posts
    • 5,333 Thanks
    Half_way
    I wouldn't be asking a poster who appears to have a clear leaning in favour of Smart Parking...
    Still interesting to let him/her have their say, on the grounds of openness, for the debate, etc on what could happen in Scotland especially as England and Wales have no independent appeals service for those who fall victim to the PPC's
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 14th Jul 17, 6:03 AM
    • 7,001 Posts
    • 6,067 Thanks
    The Deep
    May may well be bad, but the alternative is dire.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • AltheHibby
    • By AltheHibby 14th Jul 17, 8:03 AM
    • 665 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    AltheHibby
    As they can't go after the keeper in Scotland I can't see the point of an IAS.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 14th Jul 17, 11:22 AM
    • 7,515 Posts
    • 7,553 Thanks
    pogofish
    As they can't go after the keeper in Scotland I can't see the point of an IAS.
    Originally posted by AltheHibby
    Unless of course they are trying to legitimise the scam.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Jul 17, 2:03 PM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,353 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Unless of course they are trying to legitimise the scam.
    Originally posted by pogofish
    That's exactly what PPC lobbyists do, try to make their suggestions seems reasonable. That's how we got lumbered with the POFA Schedule 4 and 'keeper liability' and that's also why Motorway Services have PPCs in them and do not allow tired drivers to pay the next day after parking (which was what the DFT report years ago wanted, but lobbyists killed it).

It seems they only have to turn up in a suit, sending someone cherry-picked and highly paid, who can do the right handshake and say they went to Eton, and hey presto...

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,779Posts Today

7,968Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin