Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nikirushka
    • By nikirushka 13th Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 1Thanks
    nikirushka
    Washing machine not washing properly!
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    Washing machine not washing properly! 13th Jul 17 at 8:17 PM
    I have an Indesit, about 3 years old now that's stopped washing properly. The clothes smell and feel clean, but I can still make out dirt smudges from daily wear and no matter which one or how much I put in, the softener doesn't seem to reach the clothes at all - they are coming out like cardboard! It's horrible.

I've tried cleaning the machine with proper cleaner and also with harpic on a tip and it's made no difference. I also took the detergent drawer out a while back and gave it a thorough clean, which also made no difference. I've not pulled the filter out to look at it yet - I need some pliers to wrestle it open and I can't find them - but in every other respect the machine is working perfectly. Full cycles, drains properly etc.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm just about to do a long, hot cycle with soda crystals to see if that helps.
Page 1
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 13th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MrJones1
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    It seems that the line between the detergent drawer and drum has become clogged up with washing powder. So the detergent gets problem to reach the drum and that causes the situation where your clothes don't seem to be clean.
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 13th Jul 17, 8:52 PM
    • 2,167 Posts
    • 2,081 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:52 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:52 PM
    It seems that the line between the detergent drawer and drum has become clogged up
    Originally posted by MrJones1
    That's the way water gets to the drum.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th Jul 17, 5:43 AM
    • 30,305 Posts
    • 18,123 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 14th Jul 17, 5:43 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 5:43 AM
    Which model and cycle are you using?
    What dose and type of detergent?

If the hot wash does not work
    DO a wash with the detergent in the drum.
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 14th Jul 17, 5:51 AM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 819 Thanks
    Jonesya
    • 14th Jul 17, 5:51 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 5:51 AM
    Check the water in the machine is getting hot during the wash cycle - the heating element can fail and isn't always obvious they've gone.
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 14th Jul 17, 9:58 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Sicard
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:58 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:58 AM
    I'd do a long cycle empty but with a good amount of white vinegar.
    Am proud I only have one sourpuss on my ignore list
    • poppy_w
    • By poppy_w 14th Jul 17, 10:43 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    poppy_w
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:43 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:43 AM
    What temperature do you wash your clothes at? If you are constantly washing at low temperatures then this may be the problem, and there could be a build up of things like limescale, bacteria and laundry detergent in the machine.

You can buy citric acid from Wilkinson and run a hot wash with some of that to descale the machine.

Do you live in a hard water area?

Also, the bearings in my old machine went and it started to leave dark marks on clothes, which gradually got worse.
    • macman
    • By macman 14th Jul 17, 10:51 AM
    • 41,351 Posts
    • 17,001 Thanks
    macman
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:51 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:51 AM
    3 years for an Indesit isn't bad, that's probably approaching 1,000 cycles if it's used daily.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • nikirushka
    • By nikirushka 20th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nikirushka
    • 20th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    • 20th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    Sorry all, I forgot to check this thread!

Ok.

It gets used once a week at most - there's only me here.

I usually wash on either a 15 minute quick wash or more usually, a 2.5 hour intensive sport wash because I'm a dirt magnet and I have dogs Usually on a 40, or if I'm washing dog blankets it'll go on a 90. So it's having hot washes fairly often.

I use Surf powder and Tesco softener, as these got the best results before. 1.5 Vanish scoops of the Surf per wash and what would be about half a scoop of the softener.

I'll check mid-cycle to see if it's getting hot. The clothes are coming out smelling and feeling clean and Surf-y, but not actually properly washed or softened. So the stuff is getting in but for whatever reason, the machine is just not doing the job. I've also tried putting the softener directly in the drum but it hasn't helped. It's all a bit odd! I've tried other brands too but it makes no difference at all.

Hard water area, yes. The Harpic was done on a cool wash to descale the machine as I was told this works (and it certainly works on the toilet!).
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 20th Jul 17, 3:26 PM
    • 6,324 Posts
    • 5,081 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Have you cleaned the filter yet?
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 20th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    • 2,437 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    EssexExile
    I've also tried putting the softener directly in the drum but it hasn't helped.
    Originally posted by nikirushka
    There's no point in that. The softener is used during the last rinse & if you put it in the drum it will all be gone by then.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 20th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    firefox1956
    I would be going for a good filter clean myself.
    Lack of very simple maintenance can cause may avoidable problems with all sorts of domestic appliances. Washing machines, dishwashers, vacuums, dryers etc
    Be careful when removing the filter as quite a bit of water will come out.
    Get a very shallow baking tray under the filter opening if you can.
    • nikirushka
    • By nikirushka 20th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nikirushka
    I've opened it to do clean it but it was empty. Not run a wash since yet as I'm out of softener but I imagine it won't make any difference with nothing being in there!

EssexExile - makes sense. I was just getting a bit desperate!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 20th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 30,305 Posts
    • 18,123 Thanks
    getmore4less
    1.5 scoops how big is that scoop.

We Use 1/2 small scoop on a full 8kg wash of grubby stuff Aldi powder.
    Cleans up even the worst skiddies.

Do a no scoop wash of less dirty stuff with no softener.

Also check you are not putting in pre wash section.
    Last edited by getmore4less; 20-07-2017 at 4:52 PM.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 20th Jul 17, 6:09 PM
    • 901 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    JohnB47
    Not sure if you followed others advice but to repeat:

Assuming you have a glass door - what does the wash look like, after 10 minutes, when tumbling. It should look nice and soapy and you should feel the glass getting at least warm. It could be more difficult to assess this on a 15 minute wash but you should definitely feel a lot of heat when doing a 90 degree wash.

If you are seeing/feeling this and you use the correct amount of detergent, the machine doesn't finish the wash too quickly, rinses the correct number of times and empties at the normal speed, I can't see why it isn't removing some stains, other than the stains themselves being stubborn.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.
    Last edited by JohnB47; 20-07-2017 at 6:17 PM.
    • nikirushka
    • By nikirushka 23rd Jul 17, 3:56 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nikirushka
    The washing does get soapy, perhaps not as much as it used to? Hard to say with not having a direct comparison to how it used to be. And the machine is getting nice and hot as it should do, I really don't understand it!

Some of the stains are tougher but those I pre-wet with Ace bleach and then they come out fine, it's the day to day grubbiness that's left behind. Really odd. I've just bought some vanish gel to add to try and boost it a bit but that still doesn't solve the softener issue or general cleaning - if I add the Ace to the drawer rather than direct to the stains it doesn't work, so I guess there must be something amiss between the drawer and the drum. But then I wouldn't expect water to get in there, or to be able to smell the hint of Surf when the cycle is finished. Maybe not enough is getting through? Although I've done three empty cycles now, one with harpic and two with soda crystals to take care of any limescale and grease and it's no different at all.

The scoop is about the size of a big shot glass.
    Last edited by nikirushka; 23-07-2017 at 4:33 PM.
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 24th Jul 17, 9:02 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Sicard
    3 years for an Indesit isn't bad, that's probably approaching 1,000 cycles if it's used daily.
    Originally posted by macman

We had a Zanussi for 12 years with only one repair for a drum bearing. Is this a record?
    Am proud I only have one sourpuss on my ignore list
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 24th Jul 17, 11:07 AM
    • 23,951 Posts
    • 50,681 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    We had a Zanussi for 12 years with only one repair for a drum bearing. Is this a record?
    Originally posted by Sicard

No. Plenty of people get longer than that. My Bosch went 17 years without any repairs.
    • imho
    • By imho 24th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    imho
    I think your putting in too much soap powder. I had a Miele washing machine and used to go through so much fabric conditioner and towels would come out as though I hadn't used any. I now have a Bosch washing machine and a symbol flashes if there is to much soap powder in the drum. Use less soap powder after you have done a empty hot wash with vinegar checking that the water is hot in the drum.
    Last edited by imho; 24-07-2017 at 3:56 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,215Posts Today

8,438Users online

Martin's Twitter