Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • onedaymyfriend
    • By onedaymyfriend 13th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 142Posts
    • 41Thanks
    onedaymyfriend
    Advice needed - Dealership scratched car
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    Advice needed - Dealership scratched car 13th Jul 17 at 8:00 PM
    Evening all, I'm after some advice.

I took my met black 66 plate vehicle to my local dealership for a service. When booking the service I requested that they did not wash the car. I dropped it off this morning and reminded them not to wash it.

I collected the car this afternoon to be told that they had in fact washed it, the paint work is a complete mess with swirls and scratches all over. ��

I've been asked to take the car back tomorrow for the service manager to see it.

Any ideas where I would stand legally and what's the likelihood of them putting it right?

Thanks as always.
    Last edited by onedaymyfriend; 13-07-2017 at 8:06 PM.
    The puppetmasters create "disorder" so the people will demand "order"
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    • 15,085 Posts
    • 13,404 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    If it goes legal, then it's all down to reasonable expectations.

The average punter's reasonable expectations would almost certainly find that acceptable, so no recompense. If they don't accept that they ignored your request not to wash, and offer you some apology (a full pro detail is probably not realistic), then use a different dealer next time.
    • onedaymyfriend
    • By onedaymyfriend 15th Jul 17, 3:36 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    onedaymyfriend
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:36 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:36 PM
    Thanks for your reply Adrian,

It has now come to light that my dirty vehicle wasn't washed, but was hosed down and the dried with a chamois leather. I have requested a copy of the cctv.
    The puppetmasters create "disorder" so the people will demand "order"
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 15th Jul 17, 3:50 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:50 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:50 PM
    That's even freaking worse! Quick hose down so some of the dirt is still on the paintwork then rub it in!

Maybe a free or cheap next service from the dealer and the money that you've saved on the next service can go towards a machine polish from a detailer?
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 15th Jul 17, 4:33 PM
    • 10,012 Posts
    • 7,000 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:33 PM
    Thanks for your reply Adrian,

It has now come to light that my dirty vehicle wasn't washed, but was hosed down and the dried with a chamois leather. I have requested a copy of the cctv.
    Originally posted by onedaymyfriend
    Probably the worse thing you can with a dirty car and guaranteed to inflict damage.

I'd be asking the dealer to pay for a full car paint correction detail, probably looking in the region of £500.
    • GrumpyDil
    • By GrumpyDil 15th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    GrumpyDil
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    Our four month old car had a minor piece of work completed yesterday, along with a 'free' wash and now has lovely scratches on the passenger door. Looking forward to that conversation on Monday.

will update thread then
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 16th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 4,408 Posts
    • 3,776 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    Our four month old car had a minor piece of work completed yesterday, along with a 'free' wash and now has lovely scratches on the passenger door. Looking forward to that conversation on Monday.

will update thread then
    Originally posted by GrumpyDil
    Probably bett to start your own thread and update that one.
    • rich13348
    • By rich13348 16th Jul 17, 11:15 AM
    • 798 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    rich13348
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:15 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:15 AM

will update thread then
    Originally posted by GrumpyDil
    Please start your own thread. All you will end up doing is hijacking Onedaymyfriends thread and he won't get any help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

725Posts Today

5,919Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin