Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NessieGB
    • By NessieGB 13th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 2Thanks
    NessieGB
    Garage carried out work without permission
    • 13th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    Garage carried out work without permission 13th Jul 17 at 6:51 PM
    Hello all,

I'm new to the MSE forums and I am just looking for some advice on a matter. My car was booked in for an MOT today. I had spent the entire day waiting for a phone call to tell me to come pick it up or that it had failed, but received neither. I continually checked the MOT website to see if there was any updates but there was none. No pass, no fails, nothing.

I finished work at 5:30 and went straight over to the garage before they closed at 6. my car was sat on the forecourt with the windows down and keys in the ignition, so I think to myself "maybe they've just mot'd it now".

I approach one of the mechanics and he tells me "Oh it's not been done yet, we've just finished changing the rear springs. Wont be ready till tomorrow, looks like it should sail through it no bother though."

I asked him how much the cost of repairs would be and he replied "You'll have to ask xxx tomorrow, after the MOT"

Now, their are a number of things in this story that have miffed me off.

1. I booked the car in for an MOT on Tuesday, I told him I wanted it done asap and he offered me a slot on Thursday and I told him this was fine and left. I only said I wanted the car booked in for the MOT, nothing else.

2. The fact that they have carried out these repairs without my permission. No attempt was made to contact me and I did not give them prior consent to do the repairs.

3. The car was never put in for the MOT that I had explicitly put it in there for. These repairs were carried out pre-preemptively, so to speak. I would be a bit more understanding had they MOT'd it and said "oh its failed on springs, do you want us to replace them?"

Basically I'm looking to see where I stand in this whole mess. I would rather not pay for springs that I didn't ask for. I would rather them tell me, through the MOT, that the springs are broken and then fix it myself with the help of my dad at the cost of parts, some sweat and a few cold ones for the old man. But the garage has completely removed my ability to do that and will most likely give me a gigantic bill.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Page 3
    • Noree
    • By Noree 17th Jul 17, 11:13 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Noree
    This place should be condemned for their actions.

No matter what garage you go to, it's always worth checking the likes of reviews etc.

I would highly recommend you find out if any garage you're considering is part of any particular recognised Code of Practice.

Many garages under a Code of Practice are now also Trading Standards approved.

Find them here:

https://www.tradingstandards.uk/consumers

Just remember there are plenty of fantastic garages about. I wouldn't get an MOT anywhere for less than £45 to start with, unless I have a discount with a service plan through a recognised franchised dealership.
    • mcpitman
    • By mcpitman 18th Jul 17, 9:04 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    mcpitman
    If I were the garage owner, I'd just snap the new springs that were fitted on the car now and hand it back to the OP. Saves on even more labour swapping them over. Plus it's a bit spiteful too.
    Originally posted by debtdebt

Good job you don't run a garage. If you did that to my car after completing unauthorised works it wouldn't be the springs that would be getting snapped.

Spiteful and pointless comment, with no forethought or contribution to the thread. Muppet.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 18th Jul 17, 9:20 AM
    • 5,554 Posts
    • 2,567 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I'd be livid if a garage did work without my authorisation first. I usually book MOT for a set day, usually when I'm off work so I can drop it off and collect it again etc. It doesn't mean I need it to pass on that day. The few garages I use always phone up after the MOT to say if it's passed to come and collect it or if it's failed and what it's failed on. They never try to get work over the phone either, they just say it's ready to collect unless I want to discuss repairs and prices over the phone.

I always check the MOT online so usually know when it's passed or what it has failed on before they phone anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

1,177Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin