Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NessieGB
    • By NessieGB 13th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 2Thanks
    NessieGB
    Garage carried out work without permission
    • 13th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    Garage carried out work without permission 13th Jul 17 at 6:51 PM
    Hello all,

I'm new to the MSE forums and I am just looking for some advice on a matter. My car was booked in for an MOT today. I had spent the entire day waiting for a phone call to tell me to come pick it up or that it had failed, but received neither. I continually checked the MOT website to see if there was any updates but there was none. No pass, no fails, nothing.

I finished work at 5:30 and went straight over to the garage before they closed at 6. my car was sat on the forecourt with the windows down and keys in the ignition, so I think to myself "maybe they've just mot'd it now".

I approach one of the mechanics and he tells me "Oh it's not been done yet, we've just finished changing the rear springs. Wont be ready till tomorrow, looks like it should sail through it no bother though."

I asked him how much the cost of repairs would be and he replied "You'll have to ask xxx tomorrow, after the MOT"

Now, their are a number of things in this story that have miffed me off.

1. I booked the car in for an MOT on Tuesday, I told him I wanted it done asap and he offered me a slot on Thursday and I told him this was fine and left. I only said I wanted the car booked in for the MOT, nothing else.

2. The fact that they have carried out these repairs without my permission. No attempt was made to contact me and I did not give them prior consent to do the repairs.

3. The car was never put in for the MOT that I had explicitly put it in there for. These repairs were carried out pre-preemptively, so to speak. I would be a bit more understanding had they MOT'd it and said "oh its failed on springs, do you want us to replace them?"

Basically I'm looking to see where I stand in this whole mess. I would rather not pay for springs that I didn't ask for. I would rather them tell me, through the MOT, that the springs are broken and then fix it myself with the help of my dad at the cost of parts, some sweat and a few cold ones for the old man. But the garage has completely removed my ability to do that and will most likely give me a gigantic bill.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Page 2
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 14th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    m0bov
    Very odd the garage would knowingly carry out work without permission, this is very basic stuff. I suspect a mix up, if they have not MOTed it, why do the springs. If the MOT has failed on the springs, find out the cost and if you can get it cheaper elsewhere, tell them to put the old springs back on. You might be able to get the price down as you have them by short and curlies.
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 14th Jul 17, 1:01 PM
    • 4,812 Posts
    • 10,952 Thanks
    Money maker
    Why does no one else find it odd that the OP didn't complain about it when they first went to pick up the car. Surely the first question should be 'why the heck have you done work to my car, it was only in for an MOT?' rather than 'how much was it?'. More to this than meets the eye.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • Retrogamer
    • By Retrogamer 14th Jul 17, 1:17 PM
    • 3,767 Posts
    • 3,762 Thanks
    Retrogamer
    If i booked my car in for an MOT test on a particular day, all i'd be expecting is my car to be put through an MOT test on that particular day and then the results pass or fail, provided to me.

Nothing more, nothing less.
    • NessieGB
    • By NessieGB 14th Jul 17, 1:21 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    NessieGB
    I've been 100% honest in this story money maker. Im not a confrontational person unless I really have to be so went along with what he was saying until I got home.

Anyways I checked the mot history today and it had been updated with a fail around about 11 o clock. It failed on 'front suspension arm severely corroded' and 'rear exhaust not adequately supported'

I went over to the garage not 20 mins ago and went up to the owner, here's roughly the conversation
    Me: I'm here about my car

Him : ah is that the toyota? Its not ready yet, needs a front suspension link

M: has any work been carried out?

H: yes we've replaced both rear springs and we're about to start the link

M: I Never gave you authorisation to do that

H: what?

M: I didn't give you permission to fix it, I just wanted it mot'd, I'd rather fix the problems myself.

H: it hasn't been Mot'd yet

M: yes it has

H: it hasn't, we haven't put the link on yet

M: it has been Mot'd and it failed. It failed on the link and rear exhaust section (he seemed very confused that I knew this)

H: well what do you want us to do? We can put the old springs back in?

M: If you could do that it would be great, Ill still pay you for the mot but I'd rather do the repairs myself.

H: well we managed to get a good discount for the parts, I doubt you would find them cheaper, we had to source them from (city 40 miles away)

M: I'll get the parts and do it myself thanks. Out of curiosity how much does the springs and labour come too?

H: oh it's not a lot, just the springs and our time, shouldn't be a lot (still couldn't give a firm answer)

M: Okay then, when will the old springs be back on and car ready for me to collect?

H: Oh I'll try and get the boys to do it the afternoon, we'll give you a call when it's ready.

And then I left to go home for lunnch and type this. Hopefully the old springs are back on today and I can get my car back!
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 14th Jul 17, 1:24 PM
    • 2,306 Posts
    • 1,503 Thanks
    Nilrem

At a minimum the OP should have been kept informed. He took the car in for an MOT, it was perfectly reasonable to expect that he would have the car back the same day. It would not take a garage long to call and ask if the OP wants the springs changing or would like the car MOT'd as is either. Even if the car had failed in the latter case, the OP would probably go back. Now he/she won't be.
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    This I think.

The garage should not proceed with any chargable work without confirming it with the owner of the car.

My local garage will give my mobile a ring to check if there is any additional work to be done, regardless of if it's a £10 part that will take 5 minutes to fit, or a £400 part that will take all day.

If they've fitted the parts without checking it's pretty close to unsolicited goods in my mind.
    • Retrogamer
    • By Retrogamer 14th Jul 17, 1:26 PM
    • 3,767 Posts
    • 3,762 Thanks
    Retrogamer
    Just be careful when picking the car up as the parts that caused it to fail the MOT would likely constitute an offence on the road if you get pulled and the MOT garage might inform the authorities you're driving an unroadworthy vehicle away from their premises out of spite.
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 14th Jul 17, 1:41 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    MrJones1
    Garages like this are not ethical. They should seek authorization from the vehicle owner before carrying out work. I don't know how many people they have done this on, but they seem to have done it for a good while and earned a lot of it on unsuspecting customers. It's good that @NessieGB was persistent. Hope you get your vehicle back today.
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 14th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    caprikid1
    I would not for one second take my car back for a retest to them ....
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 14th Jul 17, 5:53 PM
    • 1,397 Posts
    • 1,209 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    I would not for one second take my car back for a retest to them ....
    Originally posted by caprikid1
    I doubt they would want the hassle in dealing with OP either.
    • takman
    • By takman 14th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    • 2,611 Posts
    • 2,165 Thanks
    takman
    I doubt they would want the hassle in dealing with OP either.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    I think the OP handled the situation very well.

The garage couldn't even provide them with a price when they went in and asked even though they said how cheap they got the springs for.

So not only did they do unauthorized work they couldn't even say how much they were going to charge the OP. So getting them to remove the springs will make them think twice before doing it again in the future.

Just remember the OP had booked the car in for MOT on that day with the garage and when they went there after work no MOT had been done and they had changed the Springs. I don't see how anyone could think that was acceptable?.

I have booked my car into a garage in the past for an MOT who don't do the MOT themselves. So they knew i was going to get them to do any work required. When the car failed they gave me a call with the list of work required and quoted prices before doing a thing. This is something they did with all customers unless something else was arranged beforehand.
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 14th Jul 17, 9:11 PM
    • 4,812 Posts
    • 10,952 Thanks
    Money maker
    Im not a confrontational person unless I really have to be so went along with what he was saying until I got home.
    Originally posted by NessieGB
    Me neither but I sure as heck would ask why they have done that rather than wait until I got home. What difference did that make?
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 14th Jul 17, 9:55 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Thanks for the advice MrJones. My current plan of action is to go into the centre tomorrow on my lunch and tell them I want the old springs replaced. I'll be on my motorbike so will record the interaction with my GoPro just incase they start playing silly !!!!!!s. Hopefully they play fair and I can have my car back asap..
    Originally posted by NessieGB
    Wouldn't that be funny if it went "No problem Mr.Nessie, here's your keys but in case you were thinking of driving this unsafe car on the road I'll be phoning the police if you drive it away." Can't say they've not done what you asked and they're being upstanding citizens informing the police about a dangerous vehicle being used on the road in a knowingly dangerous state.

How do you intend driving the car home given that with the broken springs in it is illegal to drive on the road because it doesn't meet the minimum standards?

Personally I'd not be too happy knowingly driving a car with broken springs.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 14th Jul 17, 10:10 PM
    • 13,016 Posts
    • 8,240 Thanks
    arcon5
    Bit dramatic, the garage sound surprised and now they know the work wasn't required are sorting it.
    Doesn't sound dodgy to me, just a mix up
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 14th Jul 17, 11:28 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    debtdebt
    If I were the garage owner, I'd just snap the new springs that were fitted on the car now and hand it back to the OP. Saves on even more labour swapping them over. Plus it's a bit spiteful too.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 15th Jul 17, 12:20 AM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    This forum is even more nasty than usual. Must be something in the water...
    • Retrogamer
    • By Retrogamer 15th Jul 17, 3:30 PM
    • 3,767 Posts
    • 3,762 Thanks
    Retrogamer
    If I were the garage owner, I'd just snap the new springs that were fitted on the car now and hand it back to the OP. Saves on even more labour swapping them over. Plus it's a bit spiteful too.
    Originally posted by debtdebt
    The OP's springs probably only had a small part broken off the end.
    Pretty hard to replicate that whilst they're fitted onto a car.

If you were the garage owner, would you do work to people's cars without their consent?
    • NessieGB
    • By NessieGB 17th Jul 17, 7:18 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    NessieGB
    Just an update on the situation incase anyone is interested.

Got my car back today and had to pay £110 for the privilege as he had the car up on a ramp and wouldn't take it off unless I paid him, even with threats of trading standards, solicitors and police. Clearly he wasn't worried about losing out on labour if he could afford to keep the car on the ramp for at least 2 days (if not 4).

Anyway I'm glad the ordeal is over now and it's given me a good excuse to use the motorbike.

Thanks for everyone's advice during this thread.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 17th Jul 17, 10:31 PM
    • 13,016 Posts
    • 8,240 Thanks
    arcon5
    What was the £110 for?
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 17th Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    debtdebt
    If it's £110 for an MOT, a pair of springs and a drop link I'd be ecstatic.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 17th Jul 17, 11:01 PM
    • 9,433 Posts
    • 10,598 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    If it's £110 for an MOT, a pair of springs and a drop link I'd be ecstatic.
    Originally posted by debtdebt
    Would you be quite so ecstatic if the work on the springs and drop link weren't required in the first place and were simply replaced because the garage wanted to increase their income?

Was this the case here?
    Who knows. The OP certainly doesn't because they weren't given the chance to make an informed decision before being held to ransom to get their car back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

315Posts Today

2,925Users online

Martin's Twitter