Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Happydays3
    • By Happydays3 13th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    • 44Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Happydays3
    Income support and carers and working tax
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    Income support and carers and working tax 13th Jul 17 at 4:59 PM
    Hi

Can anyone work out if we entitled to income support?
    Husband started new job..works 16 hours earns £115 a week also claims carers allowance
    Me I claim carers allowance also. We have disabled boys.
    We get working tax credits and child tax..which includes some childcare which tax credits help us pay for.
    I tried to close income support claim down but they said we might be entitled to a few pounds a week, which is fine as obviously thought would be zero I have to take his 1st payslip to job centre so they can look at claim and find out if we entitled. I'm just confused as iv heard different people say no my claim will close and others say it won't. Tax credits said there is some cases where u can claim wtc and income support??
    Can anyone shed any light??
    Thanks
Page 1
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 14th Jul 17, 7:53 AM
    • 3,376 Posts
    • 2,296 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:53 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:53 AM
    Hi

Husband started new job..works 16 hours earns £115 a week also claims carers allowance
    We get working tax credits and child tax..which includes some childcare which tax credits help us pay for.
    I tried to close income support claim down but they said we might be entitled to a few pounds a week, which is fine as obviously thought would be zero I have to take his 1st payslip to job centre so they can look at claim and find out if we entitled. I'm just confused as iv heard different people say no my claim will close and others say it won't. Tax credits said there is some cases where u can claim wtc and income support??
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Happydays3
    How long have you been claiming childcare costs via working tax credit?

Also, i don't understand why your husband is earning £115 a week - minimum wage is 7.50 so he should be getting £120 a week which would put him over the carer's allowance threshold.

It is possible to get IS and tax credits at the same time but very rare - WTC would count as income and now with his earnings I doubt you would get it. It can also create a very odd situation for tax credits because if you get even a £1 of IS, it means you are entitled to maximum WTC/CTC, but that can then knock you off IS and you end up in a vicious circle.

IQ
    • Happydays3
    • By Happydays3 14th Jul 17, 9:23 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Happydays3
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:23 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:23 AM
    Only last week claiming childcare.
    He gets 120 a week but also pays into pension so after deductions £115.
    Yes it's an odd situation...I have job centre helping me know to make sure all correct as obviously want to be claiming the right amounts. I get told different things from is and tax credits.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 14th Jul 17, 9:34 AM
    • 10,558 Posts
    • 12,469 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:34 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:34 AM
    Hi

Thanks
    Originally posted by Happydays3
    It is possible for the hours worked as a carer not to be counted as renumerative work when claiming Income Support so that a claim for Income Support could be possible even if you were doing over the criteria for hours.

It is also possible to claim WTC and IS and there may be some award especially if there were premiums added to the Income Support but this is not common. This may be what someone was referring to.

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Income-Support-Rules-Carers

However, in your particular case I doubt very much that you would receive any Income Support. Both the earnings (a £20 disregard would be applied), your Carers' allowances and the working tax credits would be counted as income and deducted from the Income Support (although you would get Carers' premiums added).
    Last edited by pmlindyloo; 14-07-2017 at 9:39 AM.
    • Happydays3
    • By Happydays3 14th Jul 17, 9:53 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Happydays3
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:53 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:53 AM
    Thanks
    Premiums were added yes...it's all very confusing...I shall hand in his 1st wage slip and see what decision they come too.. tax credits well aware of our situation also.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 14th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 2,777 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    Wouldn't he need to pay in at least £8 per week into pension as only 50% are deductible for carers?
    • Happydays3
    • By Happydays3 14th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Happydays3
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    I actually think he pays 10 into pension a week not got my figures exact..but we also pay for childcare in addition on top so well under the threshold of earning under 116 a week.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 17th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 3,699 Posts
    • 3,768 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    Don't close your claim if you have ANY doubts about entitlement. Provide all the required information to IS and let them work out your entitlement.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,646Posts Today

7,710Users online

Martin's Twitter