Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JaimieJ
    • By JaimieJ 13th Jul 17, 4:47 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JaimieJ
    Laser Eye Surgery
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:47 PM
    Laser Eye Surgery 13th Jul 17 at 4:47 PM
    Can anyone suggest which is the best clinic to go through for eye laser surgery? I had a conversation with a lady on the phone at optimax, and she suggested I might need lens replacement at a cost of £6k!
Page 1
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 13th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 26,695 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    I don't know how they can possibly give you a figure like that over the phone without even looking at your eyes!
    A lot of clinics do free consultations so I'd maybe visit a few and see which one you feel most comfortable with.
    • lewishardwick
    • By lewishardwick 13th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    lewishardwick
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    I had ICL (implant lenses) done by Optimax when they were first authorised for cosmetic purposes in the UK. Cost about £8k. Absolute life changer.

My prescription before the procedure was -11.3, with astigmatism and a lazy eye. It's now +.25 but they couldn't completely correct the astigmatism.

If you have a significant prescription, that may be why they suggested implants.

There's Optical Express and a fair few others. Most will do a free consultation.

Good luck!
    • countingbeans
    • By countingbeans 14th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    countingbeans
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    I had LASEK at Optegra, £3k for both eyes. Had -3.75 sight beforehand, and astigmatism.

Best money I have ever spent - it has been 2 years; and I have perfect vision. No suffering with dry eyes or any horrid side effects.

I had hoped my night vision would improve (always got fairly bad glare) but unfortunately it didn't change at all.

From what I understood the lens implant was either for those not suitable for LASEK or LASIK, or also people that are older. If the muscle deterioration has already happened due to age (i.e when you start to need reading glasses) then laser isn't going to be as useful.
    Last edited by countingbeans; 14-07-2017 at 2:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    • arsty
    • By arsty 20th Jul 17, 9:47 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    arsty
    • 20th Jul 17, 9:47 AM
    • 20th Jul 17, 9:47 AM
    I heard lens replacement surgery has less side effect than LASEK or LASIK, even though it costs more
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 20th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 20th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 20th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    I don't see how someone could diagnose you over the phone.

An internet friend, who had very bad sight without glasses, splashed out on seeing someone in Harley Street and was bitterly disappointed as they said that laser surgery wouldn't help her particular condition. (I don't know whether she has since had lens replacement, which wasn't available at the time, as we lost contact.)
    • lewishardwick
    • By lewishardwick 20th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    lewishardwick
    • 20th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 20th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    What is your prescription? A phone consultation with those details will give the operator a rough idea of the options available to you.

No point offering laser surgery if you eyesight is very poor as it just isn't an option.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,753Posts Today

7,856Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin