Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dares_uk
    • By dares_uk 13th Jul 17, 4:33 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 12Thanks
    dares_uk
    Just about to exchange, Home Insurace lock quirie
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:33 PM
    Just about to exchange, Home Insurace lock quirie 13th Jul 17 at 4:33 PM
    Literally about to exchange contracts (great)

but I have a question about home insurance,
    we have a garage, and the insurance companies requirements are as follows

"but the garage needs to be secured by a five lever deadlock and bolts. Either that or a padbar with a stout closed shackle padlock or a sturdy hasp and staple with a stout closed shackle padlock."

now, when I google those locks, they all seem like locks/padlocks for a normal door.
    We only have a up and over garage door, with a T bar handle and a lock in the middle.
    Which seems like it doesn't match the requirements.
    I questioned them about this, and they say that's the only locks they cover.

Am I being stupid, ? and advise would be good please.

thanks
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 40,155 Posts
    • 45,867 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    Does the garage give access to the house?

You say "insurance companies' plural - are you seriously saying they all demand this? Is this in all their standard policies, or have you been specifically asking them questions?
    • dares_uk
    • By dares_uk 13th Jul 17, 5:01 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    dares_uk
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:01 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:01 PM
    No, the garage is separate from the house, and under a Coachhouse, only has an up and over door, ie no side door etc..

sorry, think I meant to say
    'the insurance company's requirements are...'
    • harrys dad
    • By harrys dad 13th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    • 1,791 Posts
    • 1,997 Thanks
    harrys dad
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    If your garage is under a coachhouse then isn't it covered by the insurance for the coachhouse, and you get billed directly from the owner of the coach house for your share?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    • 54,381 Posts
    • 47,197 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    Do you intend storing anything in the garage of value?
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    • 40,155 Posts
    • 45,867 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    I asume this is a contents policy.

a) what value are the contents of the garage?
    b) or is the garage to be included with the contents policy for your house?
    c) have you tried more than one insurer?
    d) was this rquirement in their standard policy document, or
    e) did you pose a specific question to which this requirement is the reply? If so, why the specific question?

If buildings cover - who is the freeholder?
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 13th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    "but the garage needs to be secured by a five lever deadlock and bolts. Either that or a padbar with a stout closed shackle padlock or a sturdy hasp and staple with a stout closed shackle padlock."
    Originally posted by dares_uk
    Would it mean a lock like this, which is in addition to the garage door lock?
    Or something a little sturdier.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-SECURITY-SET-HASP-AND-STAPLE-70MM-DISC-ROUND-PADLOCK-2-KEYS/251365818638
    • LAC789
    • By LAC789 13th Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LAC789
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    The owner of the coach house will be the freeholder for the garage and will have to insure it under their buildings insurance. Check your garage deeds because the majority say something along the lines of "only to be used to store a motor vehicle", so would you really need contents cover for the garage?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jul 17, 10:49 PM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,078 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:49 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:49 PM
    A standard garage door T-handle is trivially easy to break into. The insurer are wise to ask for better security if you want anything in the garage to be covered.
    • dares_uk
    • By dares_uk 14th Jul 17, 9:53 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    dares_uk
    Hi

thanks for all the replies, although going a little too deep/sideways for my question.

*Yes, I understand T handles is easy to break, can it be upgraded somehow?
    *Yes, I understand most coachhouse's have their own policy, and you contribute towards it, but not in the case, at the moment. Although the freeholder wants to change to this in the future.
    *I'm aware of the conditions in my lease, what is and isn't allowed.
    *my insurance would cover building(garage) and contents
    *this is the requirements of the policy, I want to ensure I meet them,

"hasp and staple with a stout closed shackle padlock"
    I'm unsure how this type of lock/fitting can be fitted/used with an up and over door.

Is there way to may a T handle lock more secure and meet the above requirements?
    ie can a five lever deadlock and bolts be fitted to the handle?

I will need to ask if a door stop/blocker with suitable padlock would be suffice.
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 14th Jul 17, 10:01 AM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 2,596 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    The locks described sound like pedestrian door locks, so the insurance company is agreeing that the usual up & over garage door is easy to break into and is wanting to see that a pedestrian door from the garage into the house is secure because a burglar could be attacking that door unseen if he's already got into the garage.

...but since you say you do not have a pedestrian door from the garage to the house, you should make that clear to your insurer because that will confirm to them that there is no security risk to the house from possible unauthorised entry via the garage.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 14th Jul 17, 10:41 AM
    • 285 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    sevenhills
    "hasp and staple with a stout closed shackle padlock"
    I'm unsure how this type of lock/fitting can be fitted/used with an up and over door.
    Originally posted by dares_uk
    One part of the clasp would be bolted to the top of the garage door(as it opens inwards) the other part would be screwed to the frame of the garage(at the top).
    • wantonnoodle
    • By wantonnoodle 14th Jul 17, 10:46 AM
    • 130 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    wantonnoodle
    I think what they may be interested in is a lock between the bottom of the up and over door and the floor. My uncle has an up and over garage and due to break ins in his local area (thankfully not his property) he was required by insurance to add extra security. He installed something like this:

I would consider asking if this is something the insurance companies are asking for as to me this is one of the best ways of securing an up and over door - you can't swing the bottom of the door outwards to open it when it's locked.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,395Posts Today

9,126Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin