Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rheumatoid
    • By Rheumatoid 13th Jul 17, 4:06 PM
    • 356Posts
    • 1,119Thanks
    Rheumatoid
    Do I need to Tell HMRC about SIPP contributions?
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:06 PM
    Do I need to Tell HMRC about SIPP contributions? 13th Jul 17 at 4:06 PM
    I am a higher rate tax payer and have previously advised HMRC of how much I will be contributing to my SIPP in order to get the additional relief through my code. Is this absolutely necessary or will they pick up contributions and adjust my coding eventually anyway?

I am just thinking of making a couple of ad hoc payments this year and I'm not sure how much they will be yet but they wont be very large.

TIA
    R
    16 Panel (250W JASolar) 4kWp, facing 170 degrees, 40 degree slope, Solis Inverter, Geo Solo II Monitor. Installed 29/9/2015 - £4700 (Norfolk Solar Together Scheme)
    Year target (PVGIS-CMSAF) = 3880kWh - Installer estimate 3452 kWh; Year 1 Actual = 4152kWh
Page 1
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Jul 17, 4:12 PM
    • 6,864 Posts
    • 7,290 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:12 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:12 PM
    Yes you do because no, they wont pick up your contributions unless you tell them.
    • AndyAdams
    • By AndyAdams 13th Jul 17, 4:39 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    AndyAdams
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:39 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:39 PM
    You can reclaim the tax via your tax return
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 13th Jul 17, 9:56 PM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:56 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:56 PM
    HMRC must know about it as the SIPP provider has presumably been claiming the basic rate tax relief for you but there's no evidence yet that they are using the information so ultimately I agree with AnotherJoe, onus seems to be on you to keep them informed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,109Posts Today

7,295Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin