Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 13th Jul 17, 4:01 PM
    • 1,038Posts
    • 1,119Thanks
    Beenie
    Leaving money to charity in your Will
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:01 PM
    Leaving money to charity in your Will 13th Jul 17 at 4:01 PM
    It used to be the case that if you left charitable donations in your will, that part of your estate was not liable to IHT.

I have read somewhere that probate fees/death duties/IHT free donations have changed recently, but I am not able to find clear information myself.

Can someone explain the new rules, or point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Page 1
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 14th Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    • 14,909 Posts
    • 21,119 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    See here
    https://www.gov.uk/donating-to-charity/leaving-gifts-to-charity-in-your-will
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 14th Jul 17, 10:21 PM
    • 3,260 Posts
    • 3,482 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:21 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:21 PM
    The rules on gifts to charities has not changed, all bequests to charities are tax free, and if you estate is in IHT territory, gifting 10% of your estate to charity reduces the % of tax applied to the rest of it.

The recent rule changes are the primary residence nil rate band that now allows a couple to leave up to £850k tax free providing they own a home and the bulk of their estate is left to their children or grandchildren. The £850k will rise to £1M by 2021.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,173Posts Today

4,892Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin