Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • g4efe
    • By g4efe 13th Jul 17, 2:21 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 5Thanks
    g4efe
    Lifetime ISA - qualifiying period for bonus
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:21 PM
    Lifetime ISA - qualifiying period for bonus 13th Jul 17 at 2:21 PM
    Hi folks - I've just opened a cash LISA in my daughter's name and put in £1 (!) to kick it off. She's looking for a suitable property and may find one in the next 12 months. At what point do I have to put 4K in qualify for the £1K bonus. I don't want to deposit all the money now as I'll have to pay the 5 per cent penalty, if withdrawn within 12 months. At the same time, we don't want to miss out on the bonus. I cab't seem to find the definitive answer. Even the Skipton BS answer wasn't cut and dry. Thanks.
Page 1
    • nb0825
    • By nb0825 13th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    nb0825
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    the bonus is paid at the end of the taxable year April 5th.
    • g4efe
    • By g4efe 13th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    g4efe
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    the bonus is paid at the end of the taxable year April 5th.
    Originally posted by nb0825
    Thanks for the info. What I also need to know is how long I need to have the money in the account before she qualifies for the bonus: 1 day, a month, six months? Thanks
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 13th Jul 17, 4:01 PM
    • 2,043 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    Ed-1
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:01 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:01 PM
    Hi folks - I've just opened a cash LISA in my daughter's name and put in £1 (!) to kick it off. She's looking for a suitable property and may find one in the next 12 months. At what point do I have to put 4K in qualify for the £1K bonus. I don't want to deposit all the money now as I'll have to pay the 5 per cent penalty, if withdrawn within 12 months. At the same time, we don't want to miss out on the bonus. I cab't seem to find the definitive answer. Even the Skipton BS answer wasn't cut and dry. Thanks.
    Originally posted by g4efe
    There is no 5% penalty this year. You can withdraw before 6th April 2018 without charge but the LISA must be closed. This is because the first bonuses aren't being paid until the end of this tax year. They will be paid each month from next year.

There's a 25% one from 6th April 2018 onwards though.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 13th Jul 17, 4:02 PM
    • 6,999 Posts
    • 12,610 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:02 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:02 PM
    Thanks for the info. What I also need to know is how long I need to have the money in the account before she qualifies for the bonus: 1 day, a month, six months? Thanks
    Originally posted by g4efe

A day is fine.
    The first bonus (on everything you contribute or transfer in up to and including 5/4/2018) will be paid in by HMRC in April/May next year after your ISA manager reviews what's been paid in over the course of this first tax year and applies for the bonus.

After that, bonuses will be paid in based on what you contribute from month to month, more like real time but with some rolling delay.

So, if you were cutting it fine you could open the account and make the first contribution on 5 Apr 18 and still qualify to get the bonus on the contribution.

But importantly, once your money is no longer just "your money" but "your money plus a bonus that's been applied for or received", you can't take your money out without penalty for a qualifying house purchase until the account has been open for at least 12 months.

The 12 months would start from whenever you open the LISA (or whenever you opened an earlier LISA that you transferred into the current one)
    Last edited by bowlhead99; 13-07-2017 at 4:46 PM.
    • g4efe
    • By g4efe 13th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    g4efe
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    That's perfect! Thanks a lot. So I'll keep it at £1 and then top it up with another £3999 in March, sometime (don't want to cut it too fine!), then hope she doesn't find a house until at least the 12th of July! Thanks again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,740Posts Today

6,110Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin