Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JGSL
    • By JGSL 13th Jul 17, 2:21 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JGSL
    ESA Work coach meeting
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:21 PM
    ESA Work coach meeting 13th Jul 17 at 2:21 PM
    Hiya new here, I've tried searching around for an answer but I'm just really confused.

Basically, I had my health assessment around 3 weeks ago.
    I have severe anxiety as well as a recent diagnosis of autism.

Yesterday I received a back pay, which was just under £7,000. For 3 years of ESA.
    Then today (a regular payment date) I received £198.50
    I am paying back a budgeting loan at the moment so I assumed that was why this payment was slightly lower than the support group pay.

I haven't received a letter yet stating which group I have been placed in, however I did receive today a letter telling me I have to go to a meeting with my work coach.
    It also says I have to attend, and that I could be sanctioned if I fail to attend.

I then phoned the number on the letter and was informed I have been placed in the work group and the appointment is mandatory. I tried to say I won't be able to attend and how could I appeal but she just told me to ask when I go to my appointment.

The appointment's on the 18th July, so quite soon.
    Does anyone know if I can appeal this decision before then? Or at least put off the interview for a week or so.
    I really cannot deal with another panic attack in the job center
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 13th Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    • 10,906 Posts
    • 12,790 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    You cannot appeal which group you have been placed in until you receive the decision letter. This will tell you how to start your appeal - mandatory reconsideration comes first.

I strongly advise you to get some help with the appeal from a welfare adviser or CAB. From what you say there might be an argument for you to be placed in the support group under reg 29 and/or 35 - special circumstances where working or doing work related activities could severely harm your condition.

As regards the meeting with the work coach then you do have to attend. It is easy for me to say but at the meeting you need to explain that you are appealing the ESA decision and explain your disabilities. it may help if you take a letter from your doctor/other medical professional to support (have you any copies from your ESA application)

It does depend on the work coach but hopefully you will get someone sympathetic.

Please come back if you have any further questions.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 13th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 1,686 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    Info on Reg 35:
    http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/making-exception

If you appeal (MR first as pmlinyloo has said) it is really helpful if you can get confirmation from your GP / CPN that participation in WRAG activities (interviews, group training sessions, etc) would result in a significant risk to your health.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/while-youre-getting-esa/about-the-esa-groups/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/while-youre-getting-esa/challenging-an-esa-decision/
    • epitome
    • By epitome 15th Jul 17, 4:56 PM
    • 3,027 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    epitome
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:56 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:56 PM
    You cannot appeal which group you have been placed in until you receive the decision letter. This will tell you how to start your appeal - mandatory reconsideration comes first.
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo
    Not true, you can phone ESA enquiries and insist that a Mandatory Recon request is sent straight away in the HOTT system, you can say "I don't want to wait for the letter, I don't want a phone call". You can also prepare a statement to be dictated over the phone as your Man Recon statement (but you don't have to say anything at all, other than "I want the decision to be looked at again). After you have done this... you can wait for the initial letter and get advice and prepare a proper written Mandatory reconsideration statement which can then be faxed by jobcentre appointment to ESA, even if the ESA Man Recon has already finished by then.

I strongly advise you to get some help with the appeal from a welfare adviser or CAB. From what you say there might be an argument for you to be placed in the support group under reg 29 and/or 35 - special circumstances where working or doing work related activities could severely harm your condition.
    I agree, but only Reg 35 would get into Support Group
    I advise OP to read online ESA214, and ask his/her doctor for a letter to say that having to do ESA Work Related Activity will put his health at risk.

As regards the meeting with the work coach then you do have to attend. It is easy for me to say but at the meeting you need to explain that you are appealing the ESA decision and explain your disabilities. it may help if you take a letter from your doctor/other medical professional to support (have you any copies from your ESA application)

It does depend on the work coach but hopefully you will get someone sympathetic.

Please come back if you have any further questions.
    As regards the meeting, you could phone the jobcentre advisor and explain you are doing a Man Recon/Appeal and could they agree to do this interview with you over the phone.

If they agree, fine.
    If they don't agree, and you subsequently miss the appointment your ESA will be reduced by £73.10 a week until you do attend the jobcentre appointment. But you can Man Recon and Appeal the fail to attend the meeting decision aswell.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,508Posts Today

7,354Users online

Martin's Twitter