Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • philiusfogwakey
    • By philiusfogwakey 13th Jul 17, 1:27 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    philiusfogwakey
    Snagging issues and showering facilities
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:27 PM
    Snagging issues and showering facilities 13th Jul 17 at 1:27 PM
    Hi, just after a bit of advice if anyone can help.

We moved into a new-build house last year and are having a number of ongoing issues, along with great difficulty in getting the housebuilder to resolve them. We may finally be getting somewhere (otherwise I'm off to court), but their proposal for one of the issues concerns me a little. Our entire ensuite needs to be ripped out and started again (plasterboard, tiling, refit sanitaryware etc) as the shower has leaked through the tiling and flooded the hallway below and landing to the other side of the wall.

The housebuilder is agreeing to redo the bathroom (although we are still discussing the water damage works), but they are saying it will take them 4-5 days, i know it will take longer than this, and likely up to 2weeks. All this time we will have no shower, just the bath in the family bathroom. There are 2 adults & 3 children living in the house, so just operating off a single bath will be a nightmare (never mind the fact that i hate baths). There is no shower over the bath though.

We feel that the housebuilder should provide a shower to the bath and finish of the tiling to this area so that in can be used as a shower (partly as compensation for messing us about for 11 months, and partly to provide somewhere where the family can actually wash). The housebuilder is refusing though, and is essentially saying tough luck, the bath is sufficient.

Does anyone know whether there is a requirement to have a shower provided in a new-build property, or has anyone encountered a similar issue to this and resolved it to their satisfaction?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Page 2
    • ToasterScheme
    • By ToasterScheme 14th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    ToasterScheme
    I'd like to recommend a bit of voluntary work overseas. There are plenty of places you can go to get a more complete and balanced view of how precious water is.

I still look at water very differently over a decade later.
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 14th Jul 17, 3:51 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    saajan_12
    To be fair, just because something was accepted decades ago doesn't mean its right.. not too long ago women didn't have the vote either.

The point is the lack of a shower doesn't make the house inhabitable, and you still have facilities to maintain basic hygiene. Yes, the shower room should be rectified eventually based on your contract to have certain things included. However this isn't a hotel or even renting.. as a homeowner, waiting for repairs etc is part of it!
    • hammy1988
    • By hammy1988 14th Jul 17, 11:01 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    hammy1988
    Regardless of what he paid, I get what the OP is saying. He paid X amount of money for a house to be ready to move into and completed, and with that price, it contained two bathrooms. I would feel exactly the same about having to be messed around with a family and working arrangements etc.

It is an inconvenience that could have been avoided if the builders had been doing what they are paid to do, it is their fault.

I've just paid a lot of money for a New Build which I am sure the OP has too, and the inflated prices are reflected in everything being new and (supposed to be) top notch working order... you have the right to be annoyed and definitely inconvenienced. You paid for the two bathrooms, and you should have the two bathrooms. The repairs are not even questionable, it's part of the guarantee that comes with the houses so they are breaking contracts if they don't fix problems let alone just patch up, it's not allowed.

I would have requested the same thing. The house is what I worked bloody hard to pay for. I'd keep asking.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,728Posts Today

8,261Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin