Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • philiusfogwakey
    • By philiusfogwakey 13th Jul 17, 1:27 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    philiusfogwakey
    Snagging issues and showering facilities
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:27 PM
    Snagging issues and showering facilities 13th Jul 17 at 1:27 PM
    Hi, just after a bit of advice if anyone can help.

We moved into a new-build house last year and are having a number of ongoing issues, along with great difficulty in getting the housebuilder to resolve them. We may finally be getting somewhere (otherwise I'm off to court), but their proposal for one of the issues concerns me a little. Our entire ensuite needs to be ripped out and started again (plasterboard, tiling, refit sanitaryware etc) as the shower has leaked through the tiling and flooded the hallway below and landing to the other side of the wall.

The housebuilder is agreeing to redo the bathroom (although we are still discussing the water damage works), but they are saying it will take them 4-5 days, i know it will take longer than this, and likely up to 2weeks. All this time we will have no shower, just the bath in the family bathroom. There are 2 adults & 3 children living in the house, so just operating off a single bath will be a nightmare (never mind the fact that i hate baths). There is no shower over the bath though.

We feel that the housebuilder should provide a shower to the bath and finish of the tiling to this area so that in can be used as a shower (partly as compensation for messing us about for 11 months, and partly to provide somewhere where the family can actually wash). The housebuilder is refusing though, and is essentially saying tough luck, the bath is sufficient.

Does anyone know whether there is a requirement to have a shower provided in a new-build property, or has anyone encountered a similar issue to this and resolved it to their satisfaction?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Page 1
    • warby68
    • By warby68 13th Jul 17, 1:36 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 8,870 Thanks
    warby68
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:36 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:36 PM
    I can understand why you want it but think you will struggle - I can't imagine any form of 'entitlement' when its just a short period pending a repair.

As an aside, what are you doing in the meantime? Surely 5 of you are not continuing to use the shower and worsen any damage.

Its far from an ideal situation but a full bathroom refit is probably a good result (a more common offer would be patch up after patch up) and I'd probably want to get on with that in the interests of damage control.

Shower head on bath taps as a temporary fix? Or see if you can get a free trial gym membership

If you really struggle with a bit of inconvenience then you could sort the tiling and a shower yourself before the remedial work.
    Last edited by warby68; 13-07-2017 at 3:02 PM.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 13th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 2,957 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    Talk about first world problems and an over-inflated sense of entitlement.... £15 from amazon or £12 from B&Q
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 13th Jul 17, 3:32 PM
    • 2,916 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:32 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:32 PM
    Talk about first world problems and an over-inflated sense of entitlement.... £15 from amazon or £12 from B&Q
    Originally posted by ReadingTim
    Just for completion, those don't fit all taps, but I do agree that the OP is on a hiding to nothing.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Jul 17, 3:47 PM
    • 9,731 Posts
    • 7,757 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:47 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:47 PM
    This was a very common problem up until the 1980s, 2 adults and 3 children sharing 1 bathroom with no shower facility. Sadly it left those who managed to survive traumatised with memories of standing in a queue for a long time outside the bathroom door.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Jul 17, 4:21 PM
    • 23,891 Posts
    • 66,410 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:21 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:21 PM
    There are no requirements in building regulations, or otherwise, that a new house has a shower, no. They concern themselves with more important things.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 13th Jul 17, 4:33 PM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 2,957 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:33 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:33 PM
    Just for completion, those don't fit all taps, but I do agree that the OP is on a hiding to nothing.
    Originally posted by t0rt0ise
    You're right - here's one that fits a mixer tap.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 13th Jul 17, 4:35 PM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 2,957 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:35 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:35 PM
    This was a very common problem up until the 1980s, 2 adults and 3 children sharing 1 bathroom with no shower facility. Sadly it left those who managed to survive traumatised with memories of standing in a queue for a long time outside the bathroom door.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Quite how mankind survived the Victorian era of a tin bath once a week in front of the fire is nothing short of a miracle....
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 55,530 Posts
    • 48,880 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    Quite how mankind survived the Victorian era of a tin bath once a week in front of the fire is nothing short of a miracle....
    and one outside toilet........... That was in the 60's as well.
    "Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing." - Warren Buffett
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 13th Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    • 1,866 Posts
    • 2,924 Thanks
    k3lvc
    You could afford a tin bath ? We had to make do with a puddle out in the street
    • Lauralou79
    • By Lauralou79 13th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Lauralou79
    There were 3 girls and my mum and dad, in the 80s with one bathroom and no shower!!
    in the 1990s we finally had a shower fitted. Still shared a bathroom between us all and yup I'm not traumatised by this!

I've moved into an 1930s semi with only one bathroom. And a downstairs loo. Don't see the issues with needing so many!
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 13th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    • 579 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    sevenhills
    If the lady of the house asked nicely, they might get something, when spending £££ they should keep their customers happy.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 13th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 2,857 Posts
    • 6,436 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Originally posted by k3lvc
    I'll see your puddle & raise you my river!

OP - necessity is the mother of invention. If you have a gym membership & you hate baths that much why don't you use the showers at the gym?
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • gonebust
    • By gonebust 13th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    gonebust
    Victorian????

We had a tin bath and outside loo until 1968 then we ( 2 adults and 3 kids) were forced to slum it in a one bathroom house with no shower

I never got a shower over the the bath till 1995

Wondering who I can sue or claim compo from???
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 14th Jul 17, 2:51 AM
    • 4,764 Posts
    • 6,704 Thanks
    deannatrois
    I have 3 adults and one child with one bath and a boiler that will only heat enough water for one bath, then you have to start heating the water again (oh for a combination boiler lol).

I can get everyone in the bath if they need it over 2 or 3 hours, it just takes some organising. We often don't bath every day (except when its hot) and we are still living and do not have people refusing to come near us because of odours.

You can manage quite easily with one bath. If the kids are young enough, they can share. Use a bucket if you insist on a shower. You can buy them for 99p in most pound shops. Put some holes in the bottom if you really see the need.

The way i always view it, if you have a bath, however much you don't like sitting in 'dirty' water (which is a tad precious I'm afraid), you are going to be a lot cleaner coming out than going in if you use soap.

I prefer showers to baths but am still here after not having access to one for the last couple of years. Just too glad to have a roof over our heads.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 14-07-2017 at 2:57 AM.
    • datostar
    • By datostar 14th Jul 17, 8:15 AM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    datostar
    Yes, but you only had to tumble out of your cardboard sleeping box to be in the puddle!
    • Niv
    • By Niv 14th Jul 17, 8:51 AM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Niv
    I must have had it bad. There were 5 of us plus parents sharing one bathroom when I was a kid and that was the 90's!

Legal requirement for a shower... whatever next
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 14th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    • 5,946 Posts
    • 7,695 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    OP, if you don't like baths you can, as others suggest, get shower to fit over the bath tap(s) as a temporary solution, or pay to fit your own over-bath shower. You can also wash in the sink, if it comes to that.

I don't think it is reasonable or realistic to expect the builder to put you into a batter position than if the fault hadn't occurred, which is what you are asking.

One bathroom and 5 people is not perfect but it's nowhere near impossible. You can, short term, impose a time limit or rota for use of the bath.

Growing up, there were 6 of us (2 parents + 4 children) with just one bathroom for several years, and then when I went to university there were 6 adults sharing one bathroom. You just need a bit of give and take.
    • gwynlas
    • By gwynlas 14th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    gwynlas
    Snagging issues and showering facilities
    As previously suggested you could still have a shower type experience using a bucket. In the past I have stood in the bath wet body using a jug, soaped then rinsed usually from handbasin.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 14th Jul 17, 10:07 AM
    • 7,193 Posts
    • 4,010 Thanks
    martindow
    I've just found you on youtube. Glad things are better these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAdlkunflRs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

2,299Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin