Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • [simon]
    • By [simon] 13th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    • 219Posts
    • 39Thanks
    [simon]
    50mph on motorway due to road works
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    50mph on motorway due to road works 13th Jul 17 at 1:10 PM
    Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can point me in right direction for the following dilemma

Motorway near me has a small stretch of 50mph due to road works..

So I drive at the 50mph as required on the outside lane.

However on more than one occasion I get a HGV tailgating, then they decide to go in to the next lane. Making very little progress by the time the HGV front end is almost at the side of my car the speed limit changes back to national 70mph again..

So i have two options

1, Foot down and do the new speed of 70mph and leave the HGV behind, usually this makes HGV driver annoyed and tooting horn

2, keep doing 50mph or slower, holding the traffic behind me and eventually the HGV will overtake me fully and move in my lane so then I can move over to overtake him.

Or other...

What to do ??
Page 4
    • mcpitman
    • By mcpitman 17th Jul 17, 9:55 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    mcpitman
    Some instances of the mentioned problems around the M1 J24 road works at the moment. As others have said I set my CC to 52mph and move appropriately to other lanes where there is space and safe to do so.

Lorries do seem to undertake me, particularly when they are in a precession in Lane 1 and I can't move over, some other drivers seem to drive ridiculously close, but if I am moving faster than Lane 1 and I can't move over, I don't care what the clowns behind/around me are doing.

My theory with lorries is the same as I apply to horses, give them a nice wide berth and never spook them from behind.

Oh, and then there is the comical wacky races style rolling start race when the national speed limit signs are shown.

The only other thing I would add to this debate is don't assume GPS speedo's are as accurate as you think they are.
    They are accurate on flat/level land, but as soon as you start climbing or declining on a hill, they reduce in accuracy.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 17th Jul 17, 12:35 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    OP, we have a similar 50mph limit near me - M1 near J46. To be honest, very few drivers slow down for it as there are no cameras, just the occasional patrol car chasing after someone flying through at 80. I tend to stick mine in cruise control at around 55. If I'm being overtaken by an HGV when the temporary limit ends, I'll let them get past, let them pull in front of me, then speed up and overtake - safest option IMO. Plus I doubt the few seconds saved dong anything else are worth it.
    • LegendaryMatt
    • By LegendaryMatt 17th Jul 17, 2:49 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LegendaryMatt
    Some of the attitudes within this thread are exactly what is wrong on the roads of the UK these days; far too many people seeing the speed limit as a target and not the limit, aggression against anyone who doesn't drive exactly the same way as you, and the opinion that only you matter on the road.

It's exactly like that joke: "Anyone going faster than me on the roads is a maniac, and anyone going slower than me is a nuisance."

As for your original question, OP, it depends on the circumstances and the positioning of the truck. We can all read the Highway Code and abide by it but if the truck has just pulled out to overtake and you enter the 70 zone, can anyone safely say they would continue at 50mph for the next 5 minutes and however many yards to let the lorry pass you at a snail's pace? It isn't unsafe to accelerate to somewhere near the speed limit as the lorry driver should expect that and act accordingly -- and not beep or gesture because they're unhappy with it.
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 17th Jul 17, 4:32 PM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 2,540 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    far too many people seeing the speed limit as a target and not the limit
    Originally posted by LegendaryMatt
    Did you mention that to your examiner when you failed your test for driving at 30mph in a 40mph zone?

Or

Did you drive at the speed limit where it was safe to do so, like we were all taught by our instructor?
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 17th Jul 17, 4:54 PM
    • 2,672 Posts
    • 3,919 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Did you mention that to your examiner when you failed your test for driving at 30mph in a 40mph zone?

Or

Did you drive at the speed limit where it was safe to do so, like we were all taught by our instructor?
    Originally posted by Shaka_Zulu
    But that's not the sort of speed differential that was being discussed.

It was 45 in a 50.

Now I was taught, depending on the conditions, to keep the needle of the speedometer just below the mark for the speed limit.

So a real world 45 could very easily be what someone thinks is the correct speed to be travelling at, as their speedometer is reading just under 50.

Not everyone knows (or is interested) that speedometers have a potential 10% over-read so takes the readings that the car gives them as accurate.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 19th Jul 17, 7:22 AM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,528 Thanks
    Strider590
    Not everyone knows (or is interested) that speedometers have a potential 10% over-read so takes the readings that the car gives them as accurate.
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    And that's fine, but why do they need to do it in the overtaking lanes?

We've got people on here giving it the "limit not a target" BS, the usual excuse for incompetence.
    Well if they want to do 30 in a 40, let them do 30 in a 40, what I don't want them doing is blocking, beeping, flashing lights or waving their camera phones at anyone who dares to overtake them.

Here's the difference, incompetent drivers I can handle, but driving badly to provoke other drivers, that's entirely different.

These people not only want to drive slowly, but they're passively-aggressively enforcing that on everyone else.

Now perhaps it's different in different areas of the country, but around here in Worcestershire and the west-mids it's reaching ****ing epidemic proportions.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • custardy
    • By custardy 19th Jul 17, 7:53 AM
    • 32,682 Posts
    • 27,403 Thanks
    custardy

We've got people on here giving it the "limit not a target" BS, the usual excuse for incompetence.
    Well if they want to do 30 in a 40, let them do 30 in a 40, what I don't want them doing is blocking, beeping, flashing lights or waving their camera phones at anyone who dares to overtake them.

Here's the difference, incompetent drivers I can handle, but driving badly to provoke other drivers, that's entirely different.

These people not only want to drive slowly, but they're passively-aggressively enforcing that on everyone else.

Now perhaps it's different in different areas of the country, but around here in Worcestershire and the west-mids it's reaching ****ing epidemic proportions.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    I never see such behavior?
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 19th Jul 17, 8:01 AM
    • 2,672 Posts
    • 3,919 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    I never see such behavior?
    Originally posted by custardy
    Me neither and I live in the West Midlands as well.

I can't think of one instance in my 25+ years of driving where I have been flashed/beeped/gesticulated at for performing a legitimate overtake.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 19th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Me neither and I live in the West Midlands as well.

I can't think of one instance in my 25+ years of driving where I have been flashed/beeped/gesticulated at for performing a legitimate overtake.
    Perhaps Strider's overtakes aren't as legitimate as he thinks they are
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 19th Jul 17, 9:27 PM
    • 4,582 Posts
    • 3,986 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Perhaps Strider's overtakes aren't as legitimate as he thinks they are
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    They are, perfectly so. The problem is that all the people he overtakes are part of the government's secret surveillance team who are all out to get him.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 19th Jul 17, 9:41 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    They are, perfectly so. The problem is that all the people he overtakes are part of the government's secret surveillance team who are all out to get him.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    And just because he's paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't all out to get him
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 20th Jul 17, 8:45 AM
    • 3,489 Posts
    • 3,550 Thanks
    DoaM
    Infamy!
    Infamy!
    They've all got it in fa me!
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • LegendaryMatt
    • By LegendaryMatt 20th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LegendaryMatt

Or

Originally posted by Shaka_Zulu
    You're being purposely obtuse here because you know the speeds we're talking about and it isn't 10mph below the limit. My point is that, in a 30mph zone, you don't need to consistently hit 30mph but rather drive to the conditions and area you're in -- which surely you must agree with as a sane human being?
    • LegendaryMatt
    • By LegendaryMatt 20th Jul 17, 1:22 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LegendaryMatt

I get the distinct impression that you are in the minority of people who consider flashing, beeping or blocking someone because they are not adhering to what you believe the speed limit should be. I drive a lot for my job and I see a lot of people who overtake at 65mph and, unless they're lane-hogging or quite clearly causing a nuisance for extended periods of time, it's easier to let them get on with it safely than try to intimate or berate them. Most often than not they're older people with limited experience on motorways/dual-carriageways -- would you be happy with someone berating an older member of your family because they're doing 5mph below the speed limit and providing a very minor inconvenience?

Again, I get the impression that the "driving badly to provoke others" people are just made up in your head: it's very rare that someone drives on purpose to provoke others, and it usually starts with an innocent mistake that gets out of hand because childish people cannot allow others to make minor mistakes on the roads. It's getting to the point where dashcammers are now purposely driving like idiots to catch others committing minor, everyday mistakes to say "aha, look, I told you the standard of driving was getting worse!". I imagine you have a dashcam.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 20th Jul 17, 2:49 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,528 Thanks
    Strider590
    Again, I get the impression that the "driving badly to provoke others" people are just made up in your head:
    Ok, so explain this to me......
    This morning i'm doing 70mph down a dual-carriageway, it's fairly empty, there's one car ahead (a Merc A class), they're in lane 2 for no good reason, doing approx 50mph, I'm getting closer and slowing down, but i'm taking the next exit road about 200 yrds away, so I figure "let them carrying on being an idiot, won't be my problem in 20 seconds time". Then JUST as i'm a few meters away, about to start indicating and now doing 50mph, the Merc driver swerves into lane 1 and brake tests me, I indicate to pull off and just as I enter the exit lane, she moves back into lane 2 and carries on as before.

Now i'd love to know how else this can possibly be interpreted other than an incompetent driver who doesn't know the speed limit, hogging lane 2 to prevent anyone overtaking, then trying to Police the roads when it looks like someone might be about to overtake on the left.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 20th Jul 17, 3:13 PM
    • 2,672 Posts
    • 3,919 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    I imagine you have a dashcam.
    Oh yes, he does .

Do you have footage of that one, Strider?
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 20th Jul 17, 3:25 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,528 Thanks
    Strider590
    Oh yes, he does .

Do you have footage of that one, Strider?
    I don't post footage from within 2 miles of where I work or where live, not that it matters because what I was asking was whether the events described can be explained away as a mistake or a bad coincidence or whatever........
    Perhaps she didn't know I was there and worried about driving in the rain she decided to change lanes and test that her brakes still worked????

And the other day, perhaps the old guy that almost got himself T-boned on a mini-roundabout, did not sound his horn as a rebuke to me briefly sounding mine, perhaps he was using his horn to apologise???? Perhaps then he didn't slow down to 15mph to further aggravate the person he'd just cut up and was in fact offering me an opportunity to overtake (which I accepted) and then once again used his horn to apologise????
    And finally perhaps his crazy arm waving (and flashing of headlights), was in fact him trying to swat a wasp?

Wow, I see now how I misinterpret everything.............
    Last edited by Strider590; 20-07-2017 at 3:27 PM.

• DoaM
    • By DoaM 20th Jul 17, 4:31 PM
    • 3,489 Posts
    • 3,550 Thanks
    DoaM
    If the common denominator for all these disparate events is a single person, one might consider that the problem lies with the common denominator?

Like the old person who's driving for 50 years and never had an accident ... seen quite a few though ........
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • LegendaryMatt
    • By LegendaryMatt 21st Jul 17, 10:40 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LegendaryMatt
    Ok, so explain this to me......
    This morning i'm doing 70mph down a dual-carriageway, it's fairly empty, there's one car ahead (a Merc A class), they're in lane 2 for no good reason, doing approx 50mph, I'm getting closer and slowing down, but i'm taking the next exit road about 200 yrds away, so I figure "let them carrying on being an idiot, won't be my problem in 20 seconds time". Then JUST as i'm a few meters away, about to start indicating and now doing 50mph, the Merc driver swerves into lane 1 and brake tests me, I indicate to pull off and just as I enter the exit lane, she moves back into lane 2 and carries on as before.

Now i'd love to know how else this can possibly be interpreted other than an incompetent driver who doesn't know the speed limit, hogging lane 2 to prevent anyone overtaking, then trying to Police the roads when it looks like someone might be about to overtake on the left.
    In the past three years, I have done around 200k miles nationwide for my job and I don't think I've ever encountered someone do this unprovoked. Maybe you really do run into the only people on the roads who seriously want to cause accidents, but I suspect that -- since you've highlighted it happens often to you in this thread -- your driving has some bearing on why people react this way. I can't see why anyone would do what you describe above without being provoked or annoyed in some way.

I don't post footage from within 2 miles of where I work or where live, not that it matters because what I was asking was whether the events described can be explained away as a mistake or a bad coincidence or whatever........
    Perhaps she didn't know I was there and worried about driving in the rain she decided to change lanes and test that her brakes still worked????

And the other day, perhaps the old guy that almost got himself T-boned on a mini-roundabout, did not sound his horn as a rebuke to me briefly sounding mine, perhaps he was using his horn to apologise???? Perhaps then he didn't slow down to 15mph to further aggravate the person he'd just cut up and was in fact offering me an opportunity to overtake (which I accepted) and then once again used his horn to apologise????
    And finally perhaps his crazy arm waving (and flashing of headlights), was in fact him trying to swat a wasp?

Wow, I see now how I misinterpret everything.............
    Again, this only seems to happen to you. No one else who is responding to you seems to recount similar episodes on such a frequent scale, or be of the mindset that people are genuinely out there to cause accidents and cause you issues. I'd imagine there was nothing "brief" about your horn either.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 21st Jul 17, 12:52 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,528 Thanks
    Strider590
    Again, this only seems to happen to you. No one else who is responding to you seems to recount similar episodes on such a frequent scale, or be of the mindset that people are genuinely out there to cause accidents and cause you issues. I'd imagine there was nothing "brief" about your horn either.
    It was brief, but actually it doesn't matter, because it was the correct use of the horn.

Another story.....

Yesterday, narrow country B road, 40 limit), road works in some real twisty bits, lots of signs, been there several days, everyone knows about them, I stop at the queue leaving a 1.5 car gap (just in case some idiot ignores all the signs and comes ploughing into me), and yes some idiot come flying around the blind corner behind me and has to slam on the brakes, but apparently according to this muppet it was my fault because i'd left a gap........... I could see him mouthing off and flipping hand gestures, but I ignored him.

Now my thinking is that the gap has no bearing on it, it could just as easily have been a car in front of me, in which case IF he'd hit me i'd be running around dealing with multiple insurance companies for the next 6 weeks. Fact is he ignored the signs and was driving far too fast, but that didn't stop him tailgating and diving around aggressively behind me for the next few miles.

I think the reason I see so much of this is because when I'm driving I put all of my focus into doing so, into situational awareness and reading other driver "body language" to determine what they're going to do. Where in contrast most people drive about at 40mph, ****king about with their phones.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

4,787Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin