Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • [simon]
    • By [simon] 13th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    • 219Posts
    • 38Thanks
    [simon]
    50mph on motorway due to road works
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    50mph on motorway due to road works 13th Jul 17 at 1:10 PM
    Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can point me in right direction for the following dilemma

Motorway near me has a small stretch of 50mph due to road works..

So I drive at the 50mph as required on the outside lane.

However on more than one occasion I get a HGV tailgating, then they decide to go in to the next lane. Making very little progress by the time the HGV front end is almost at the side of my car the speed limit changes back to national 70mph again..

So i have two options

1, Foot down and do the new speed of 70mph and leave the HGV behind, usually this makes HGV driver annoyed and tooting horn

2, keep doing 50mph or slower, holding the traffic behind me and eventually the HGV will overtake me fully and move in my lane so then I can move over to overtake him.

Or other...

What to do ??
Page 3
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 14th Jul 17, 5:39 PM
    • 9,968 Posts
    • 6,966 Thanks
    neilmcl
    A 'rev bomb'?

How very measured and mature of you.Chimes with the conspiracy theories.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    Pretty typical of him though.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 14th Jul 17, 10:06 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 785 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Truck drivers very often go by GPS speed, which is much more accurate.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    No they don't.

Truck drivers go by the speedo in the vehicle which is legally only allowed to be out by no more than 2.5% and has to have a mandatory calibration test every 2 years. So 50MPH on the truck speedo is going to be between 49-50MPH real speed unlike a car where 50MPH on the speedo could be anything from 44-50MPH real speed, usually 44.
    • takman
    • By takman 14th Jul 17, 10:28 PM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 2,159 Thanks
    takman
    No they don't.

Truck drivers go by the speedo in the vehicle which is legally only allowed to be out by no more than 2.5% and has to have a mandatory calibration test every 2 years. So 50MPH on the truck speedo is going to be between 49-50MPH real speed unlike a car where 50MPH on the speedo could be anything from 44-50MPH real speed, usually 44.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    If they get the calibration done when their tyres are almost worn out (which can last quite a while as they have the option of regrooving as well). Then once they get some new tyres fitted it gives them a noticeable increase in top end speed due to the speedo now under reading the actual speed.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 15th Jul 17, 12:26 AM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 785 Thanks
    Tarambor
    If they get the calibration done when their tyres are almost worn out (which can last quite a while as they have the option of regrooving as well). Then once they get some new tyres fitted it gives them a noticeable increase in top end speed due to the speedo now under reading the actual speed.
    Originally posted by takman
    The difference at best is about 8% or 3.5MPH.
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 15th Jul 17, 7:53 AM
    • 941 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    Nothing to do with driving a lorry
    Originally posted by Car 54
    I'll take that as no then.
    • takman
    • By takman 15th Jul 17, 11:44 AM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 2,159 Thanks
    takman
    The difference at best is about 8% or 3.5MPH.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Yes but that is still quite a difference because they will be noticibly faster on the motorway and overtake all the other HGV's with ease.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 15th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 11,519 Posts
    • 6,445 Thanks
    Strider590
    This has gone off topic........

Most HGVs don't slow down for motorway 50mph limits, because they're not going to get pulled for carrying on at 56mph and that 50 limit is absolutely set taking that into account, and if your doing 50mph by your speedo, then your actually doing just over 45mph real speed, AND if I were stuck behind someone doing 45mph in a 50 zone, I would assume that person was trying to play the plastic Policeman with their own version of the law.
    Last edited by Strider590; 15-07-2017 at 12:27 PM.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    • 32,388 Posts
    • 27,146 Thanks
    custardy

Most HGVs don't slow down for motorway 50mph limits, because they're not going to get pulled for carrying on at 56mph and that 50 limit is absolutely set taking that into account, and if your doing 50mph by your speedo, then your actually doing just over 45mph real speed, AND if I were stuck behind someone doing 45mph in a 50 zone, I would assume that person was trying to play the plastic Policeman with their own version of the law.
    Or simply cruising along at a legal speed...sigh.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 15th Jul 17, 2:56 PM
    • 11,519 Posts
    • 6,445 Thanks
    Strider590
    Or simply cruising along at a legal speed...sigh.
    Originally posted by custardy
    In a passive-aggressive manner, knowingly p1ssing off other drivers.......... Pathetic.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th Jul 17, 4:44 PM
    • 32,388 Posts
    • 27,146 Thanks
    custardy
    In a passive-aggressive manner, knowingly p1ssing off other drivers.......... Pathetic.
    So anyone doing 45mph in a 50mph zone is being passive aggressive in your eyes?
    you are just another of these angry drivers I see every day.
    You see conflict and aggression in the most benign things.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 15th Jul 17, 4:50 PM
    • 2,577 Posts
    • 3,763 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Better than being actively aggressive and dropping "rev bombs" (whatever the hell they are) at little old ladies.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 15th Jul 17, 5:17 PM
    • 9,549 Posts
    • 7,579 Thanks
    prowla
    I put my car into cruise control in roadworks (I tend to set it to 52 in a 50).
    It's not my problem if others want to go faster; I'll get out of their way if there is appropriate space.
    As for someone getting upset if someone speeds up at the end of the roadworks, when it goes back to national speed limit, that's nonsensical.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th Jul 17, 5:21 PM
    • 32,388 Posts
    • 27,146 Thanks
    custardy
    I put my car into cruise control in roadworks (I tend to set it to 52 in a 50).
    It's not my problem if others want to go faster; I'll get out of their way if there is appropriate space.
    As for someone getting upset if someone speeds up at the end of the roadworks, when it goes back to national speed limit, that's nonsensical.
    Originally posted by prowla
    Exactly what i did on the M25 yesterday. Cruise control at 52 for the 50 zone.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 15th Jul 17, 6:36 PM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Exactly what i did on the M25 yesterday. Cruise control at 52 for the 50 zone.
    I do likewise. Just because the person tailgating doesn't care about his licence (if he has one in the first place) doesn't mean I don't.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 15th Jul 17, 6:38 PM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Why should I get points just to keep drivers like you happy? Take a risk with your own licence if you like. Don't expect others to do the same.
    • bartelbe
    • By bartelbe 16th Jul 17, 10:52 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    bartelbe
    To be frank the behaviour of some lorry drivers is disgraceful and potentially dangerous. I was in a single lane section monitored by 50 average cameras, when a lorry charged mad max style behind me.

I don't have a gps and was already over indicated 50. Moron dangerous lorry driver drove right on my bumper to try and force me to go faster. Nowhere to pull over and already as near to the limit as I dare go.

Lorry drivers need to understand that it is a limit, not a target. They are driving a dangerous heavy vehicle. If they have to drive a bit slower, so be it, better than killing someone.
    • bartelbe
    • By bartelbe 16th Jul 17, 10:54 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    bartelbe
    So anyone doing 45mph in a 50mph zone is being passive aggressive in your eyes?
    you are just another of these angry drivers I see every day.
    You see conflict and aggression in the most benign things.
    Exactly, it is a legal speed and it isn't dangerous. The problem is with the attitude of drivers who think the road is their own personal race track and nothing should ever delay them.
    • bartelbe
    • By bartelbe 16th Jul 17, 10:57 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    bartelbe

Or maybe it is someone who doesn't know about the inaccuracy of the speedo. Maybe it is a little old lady who is a bit nervous and is doing, perfectly legally, a little under speed limit. Speed limit not target.

Those drivers are not dangerous. Tailgaters are dangerous and people like that should have their licence taken off them.

Are you willing to cause a pile up to get to your destination 10 minutes quicker? If so, you need to hand in your licence.
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 16th Jul 17, 11:09 PM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 5,117 Thanks
    Loanranger
    I too put my Merc into cruise at 52 in a 50 limit on the motorway. If it's a SMART motorway especially so as I read recently that they can prosecute at 51 mph so I don't chance my licence either for some aggressive moron up my backside.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 16th Jul 17, 11:48 PM
    • 1,724 Posts
    • 2,516 Thanks
    Robisere
    What annoys and angers me about some truckers, is the way they take so long to overtake another truck, either on a dual carriageway or a motorway.
    Not long ago, on a stretch of the M40, I counted one truck overtaking another, with yet another overtaking both. I timed this stupid manoever on my dashboard clock - 11 minutes, before the road was clear and all 3 were back in Lane 1. (Or the 'inside lane'.) I see one truck overtaking another and taking ages to do it, all the time, but that 3-truck episode was a new low in idiocy.

I am aware that most truckers are working for a living and are usually responsible guys (and gals!) but there is a small minority who should be walking, not working.

My previous C-Max speedo read 2 MPH over at 40, my current Tucson is the same. Measured against the Garmin, which is constantly updated but still misses some speed limits. Which doesn't worry me, because I keep my eyes open for signs and use the Cruise control and Speed Limiter.
    Last edited by Robisere; 16-07-2017 at 11:52 PM.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,903Posts Today

8,388Users online

Martin's Twitter