Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • [simon]
    • By [simon] 13th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    • 218Posts
    • 37Thanks
    [simon]
    50mph on motorway due to road works
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    50mph on motorway due to road works 13th Jul 17 at 1:10 PM
    Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can point me in right direction for the following dilemma

Motorway near me has a small stretch of 50mph due to road works..

So I drive at the 50mph as required on the outside lane.

However on more than one occasion I get a HGV tailgating, then they decide to go in to the next lane. Making very little progress by the time the HGV front end is almost at the side of my car the speed limit changes back to national 70mph again..

So i have two options

1, Foot down and do the new speed of 70mph and leave the HGV behind, usually this makes HGV driver annoyed and tooting horn

2, keep doing 50mph or slower, holding the traffic behind me and eventually the HGV will overtake me fully and move in my lane so then I can move over to overtake him.

Or other...

What to do ??
Page 2
    • Huskydays
    • By Huskydays 13th Jul 17, 7:23 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    Huskydays
    Rule 168
    Being overtaken.
    If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.
    Then, when it is clear, overtake the lorry.
    A witty saying proves nothing
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 13th Jul 17, 8:06 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    Trucks aren't allowed in the outside lane.
    Originally posted by waamo
    Really?

Would like to check the veracity of that then amend your post accordingly and also check that in the context of this discussion.
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 13th Jul 17, 8:07 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    thats really dumb in this case. all 50mph motorways (under roadworks) are congested and when there is congestion that rule is silly to follow.
    Originally posted by seatbeltnoob
    Another sweeping statement that can only come from someone in the South!!

Keep left unless overtaking really is a simple concept.
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 13th Jul 17, 8:09 PM
    • 1,688 Posts
    • 4,367 Thanks
    Mobeer
    Trucks aren't allowed in the outside lane.
    Originally posted by waamo
    Trucks are allowed in both lanes of a 2 lane motorway. They are only restricted from the right-most lane of any motorway with 3 or more lanes.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 13th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 2,144 Thanks
    Richard53
    "50mph on your speedometer is not 50mph, probably closer to 45mph."

Really ? maybe on a morris minor but most car Speedo's are very accurate up to 80 at least.

There are lots of "You are doing" "30 / 40 / 50" signs "happy", "sad face" by me and even my old cars are accurate enough that I would never play the dangerous 10% game. What if they are reading 10% under ???
    Originally posted by caprikid1
    I have checked every car and motorcycle I have owned in the last 10 years and I can state than none was 100% accurate. C&U regs allow speedometers to read up to 10% over, and they must not under-read - usually expressed as -0/+10%. Building an accurate speedometer is expensive, so common sense suggests that manufacturers will aim for the middle of the permitted range to allow for production tolerances. From experience, it is very common for speedos to read over by about 5%. My Mondeo was exactly 5% fast, my Land Rover is about 8% fast, and my 1992 Merc was the most accurate, being within a needle's width of 70 at a GPS 70. None has read under the actual speed.

The signs that show your speed or a happy/sad face are even less likely to be accurate. There are no regulations governing their calibration, and they are there more to persuade and remind than to enforce. I would expect them to be fairly optimistic over a vehicle's speed: telling you 45 when you are doing a genuine 40 , just to 'be on the safe side'.
    An hour alone spells freedom to the slave.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 13th Jul 17, 9:22 PM
    • 11,462 Posts
    • 6,411 Thanks
    Strider590
    Trucks are allowed in both lanes of a 2 lane motorway. They are only restricted from the right-most lane of any motorway with 3 or more lanes.
    Originally posted by Mobeer
    Which means when they come across a middle lane moron doing 45mph, they're screwed, the whole motorway gets reduced to one lane, traffic tails back and accidents happen.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • societys child
    • By societys child 13th Jul 17, 9:24 PM
    • 4,423 Posts
    • 4,665 Thanks
    societys child
    . . . in which case you pull to one side and let them through and then go back to the outside lane
    If there's room in the other lane, why do you feel the need to "go back to the outside lane" if all lanes are moving at the same speed

• Richard53
    • By Richard53 14th Jul 17, 12:48 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 2,144 Thanks
    Richard53
    If there's room in the other lane, why do you feel the need to "go back to the outside lane" if all lanes are moving at the same speed
    Originally posted by societys child
    The language is not very clear here, and we could be talking about different things. To be fair, 'outside' could mean 'furthest away from the nearside kerb' or it could mean 'furthest from the centre of the road'. For me, the outside lane of a motorway and the outside lane of a roundabout are in opposite places - one to the right and one to the left. Far better to do what the police do and talk abut lanes 1, 2 and 3. Clear and unambiguous.
    An hour alone spells freedom to the slave.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 14th Jul 17, 8:44 AM
    • 5,317 Posts
    • 26,504 Thanks
    bugslet
    Doesn't happen often, but occasionally I've followed one of my trucks after calibration and their speed was 56, mine was reading anything but, and that's happened in varying vehicles.

As far do you speed up or hang back, I use the old school rule of if my 'cab' is ahead of theirs, I'd speed up; if my 'cab' is behind their cab, I let them go, then overtake once they have passed.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 14th Jul 17, 9:04 AM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 1,359 Thanks
    Car 54
    As far do you speed up or hang back, I use the old school rule of if my 'cab' is ahead of theirs, I'd speed up; if my 'cab' is behind their cab, I let them go, then overtake once they have passed.
    Originally posted by bugslet
    Where does your "old school rule" come from? As Huskydays has already pointed out, the rule is clear and the reason is expilicit:

"Rule 168
    .Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you."
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 14th Jul 17, 9:09 AM
    • 4,316 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    knightstyle
    WHY do you call it the outside lane? Surely it should be called an overtaking lane?
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 14th Jul 17, 9:36 AM
    • 23,736 Posts
    • 50,345 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    The language is not very clear here, and we could be talking about different things. To be fair, 'outside' could mean 'furthest away from the nearside kerb' or it could mean 'furthest from the centre of the road'. For me, the outside lane of a motorway and the outside lane of a roundabout are in opposite places - one to the right and one to the left. Far better to do what the police do and talk abut lanes 1, 2 and 3. Clear and unambiguous.
    Originally posted by Richard53

It seems pretty clear that this is what the OP meant in the context of his question.
    • wolvoman
    • By wolvoman 14th Jul 17, 9:44 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    wolvoman
    thats really dumb in this case. all 50mph motorways (under roadworks) are congested and when there is congestion that rule is silly to follow.

every time ive been all lanes were full, all doing roughly the same speed. the exception being sometimes the odd driver does 51mph and is on te outside lane. in which case you pull to one side and let them through and then go back to the outside lane
    That's good of you to move out of the outside lane for someone to overtake.

But then idiotic of you to move back into the outside lane. Unless you were then overtaking another car?
    • wolvoman
    • By wolvoman 14th Jul 17, 9:49 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    wolvoman
    WHY do you call it the outside lane? Surely it should be called an overtaking lane?
    Originally posted by knightstyle
    Any lane other than lane 1 is an overtaking lane.

If there's 5 lanes (as there is on parts of the M25) then there are 4 overtaking lanes, not just one.

KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING.

Is that written in a foreign language in the Highway Code? Because it is the most ignored rule on motorways.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 14th Jul 17, 2:32 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    littlerock
    Compared to the GPS readimgs, at speeds over 40mph my SKODA speedo is very inaccurate and gets progressively more so the faster I go. Shows much slower than the GPS.

On the other hand OH's Peugeot Van speedo matches the GPS readings right across the clock.

OH got done for doing 34mph on a 30 mile stretch of the A40 in SW London a few years ago. (Not in the Peugeot.)
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 14th Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    littlerock
    I would normally say stay at the official speed, but on the North Circular going round London the other day at midday I found myself in a restricted section next to an enormous low loader carrying a large earth moving machine and two small bulldozers. The sort of thing you used to see travelling late at night with special lights. I did speed up to get ahead.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 14th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    • 4,322 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    She got the middle finger and a "rev bomb" from me.
    Originally posted by Strider590

A 'rev bomb'?

How very measured and mature of you.Chimes with the conspiracy theories.
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 14th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    Where does your "old school rule" come from? As Huskydays has already pointed out, the rule is clear and the reason is expilicit:

"Rule 168
    .Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you."
    Originally posted by Car 54
    You haven't driven a lorry have you?

Nothing about speeding up or driving unpredictably it depends on weight, gradient and power on who gets the upper hand when you are both limited to 56mph (give or take around 1mph)
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 14th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 1,359 Thanks
    Car 54
    You haven't driven a lorry have you?

Nothing about speeding up or driving unpredictably it depends on weight, gradient and power on who gets the upper hand when you are both limited to 56mph (give or take around 1mph)
    Originally posted by Shaka_Zulu
    Nothing to do with driving a lorry - I was responding to bugslet, who said "As far do you speed up or hang back, I use the old school rule of if my 'cab' is ahead of theirs, I'd speed up; if my 'cab' is behind their cab, I let them go, then overtake once they have passed."

BTW your phrase "get the upper hand" doesn't suggest a very positive approach to road safety.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 14th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 2,431 Posts
    • 2,379 Thanks
    cjdavies

every time ive been all lanes were full, all doing roughly the same speed. the exception being sometimes the odd driver does 51mph and is on te outside lane. in which case you pull to one side and let them through and then go back to the outside lane
    Add to the fact they may even average speed cameras set-up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,494Posts Today

6,737Users online

Martin's Twitter