Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • [simon]
    • By [simon] 13th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    • 218Posts
    • 37Thanks
    [simon]
    50mph on motorway due to road works
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    50mph on motorway due to road works 13th Jul 17 at 1:10 PM
    Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can point me in right direction for the following dilemma

Motorway near me has a small stretch of 50mph due to road works..

So I drive at the 50mph as required on the outside lane.

However on more than one occasion I get a HGV tailgating, then they decide to go in to the next lane. Making very little progress by the time the HGV front end is almost at the side of my car the speed limit changes back to national 70mph again..

So i have two options

1, Foot down and do the new speed of 70mph and leave the HGV behind, usually this makes HGV driver annoyed and tooting horn

2, keep doing 50mph or slower, holding the traffic behind me and eventually the HGV will overtake me fully and move in my lane so then I can move over to overtake him.

Or other...

What to do ??
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Jul 17, 1:21 PM
    • 18,191 Posts
    • 13,877 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:21 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:21 PM
    I'd do 1 unless the lorry was very close to completing the overtake. The driver has nothing to be annoyed about so if he wants to toot his horn that's up to him.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 13th Jul 17, 1:27 PM
    • 11,468 Posts
    • 6,420 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:27 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:27 PM
    50mph on your speedometer is not 50mph, probably closer to 45mph.
    Truck drivers very often go by GPS speed, which is much more accurate.

Speeding prosecutions would not start until 56mph GPS, so no risk to truck drivers as their trucks are limited to 56 GPS anyway.

Cars travelling slower than truck is incredibly dangerous and truck drivers hate it, because a car sitting in their blind spot can easily end up getting T boned and pushed 1/2 a mile down the motorway when they move back over to lane 1.
    Last edited by Strider590; 13-07-2017 at 1:29 PM.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 13th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 1,359 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:50 PM

Cars travelling slower than truck is incredibly dangerous and truck drivers hate it, because a car sitting in their blind spot can easily end up getting T boned and pushed 1/2 a mile down the motorway when they move back over to lane 1.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Indeed. If you're doing x mph and the truck is overtaking at x plus 1, then the safest thing to do is reduce speed to let him complete his overtake quickly and minimise the time you spend alongside him.
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 13th Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 1,869 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:20 PM

So I drive at the 50mph as required on the outside lane.
    Originally posted by [simon]
    Why are you in the outside lane? If the truck is on your tail it would suggest the inside lane is free.

The rule keep left unless overtaking should be adhered to.

You aren't attempting to be a speed limit vigilante are you?
    • stator
    • By stator 13th Jul 17, 2:24 PM
    • 5,732 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    stator
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:24 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:24 PM
    Option 1 of course.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 13th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 3,720 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    Why are you in the outside lane? If the truck is on your tail it would suggest the inside lane is free.

Originally posted by Shaka_Zulu
    I expect he means lane one, just a confusion of terminology.
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 13th Jul 17, 2:50 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    caprikid1
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:50 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:50 PM
    "50mph on your speedometer is not 50mph, probably closer to 45mph."

Really ? maybe on a morris minor but most car Speedo's are very accurate up to 80 at least.

There are lots of "You are doing" "30 / 40 / 50" signs "happy", "sad face" by me and even my old cars are accurate enough that I would never play the dangerous 10% game. What if they are reading 10% under ???
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 13th Jul 17, 3:24 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:24 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:24 PM
    I think the OP is referring to the end of the roadworks, where the OP is doing 50mph, and the lorry is overtaking at 51mph.

The answer may be to plan for the end of the roadworks, slowing to 45 mph so the lorry can pass before the roadworks end ; and doing so then, means going only 5 ( rather than 25 ) mph below the limit.
    Think of it this way ; allowing the lorry to go at the optimum speed, means less pollution and faster delivery of what you buy in the shops.
    • mvteng
    • By mvteng 13th Jul 17, 4:05 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    mvteng
    Option 3 - Move out of the outside lane, & let anyone who wants to overtake you do so
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 13th Jul 17, 4:06 PM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 3,086 Thanks
    DoaM
    Really ? maybe on a morris minor but most car Speedo's are very accurate up to 80 at least.
    Originally posted by caprikid1
    Really? I guess it depends on whether you believe the accuracy of GPS reading versus speedo reading. On my car ...

Code:
    Speedo GPS
    32     30
    43     40
    53     50
    64     60
    75     70
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 13th Jul 17, 4:12 PM
    • 11,468 Posts
    • 6,420 Thanks
    Strider590

There are lots of "You are doing" "30 / 40 / 50" signs "happy", "sad face" by me and even my old cars are accurate enough that I would never play the dangerous 10% game. What if they are reading 10% under ???
    Yes really, my Mondeo is slightly more accurate than my Vectra was, but real 70mph is still just over 75 on the dial.

Most cars over read to be on the safe side.

Those signs are rarely accurate at all, people seem to think that setting them a few mph lower is going to make a difference, but all it does is make me ignore them.

They're about as accurate as some silly old cow I encountered last week, standing by the road in her village, waving her arms in an angry "slow down" motion at cars going past, despite the fact we we're doing around 25mph..... She got the middle finger and a "rev bomb" from me.

If i'm doing something wrong, then fine, but when i'm driving carefully and i'm being told that i'm speeding when i'm not, then that's just going to get my back up.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 13th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Really? I guess it depends on whether you believe the accuracy of GPS reading versus speedo reading. On my car ...

Code:
    Speedo GPS
    32     30
    43     40
    53     50
    64     60
    75     70
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Similar to mine, although I haven't actually tested it, but just noticed how it reads against the GPS at various times.
    I don't think I've ever known an unmodded car that didn't read that way.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 13th Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    • 2,930 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    oldagetraveller

Wrong. My Minor's Speedo is more accurate than my everyday driver.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 13th Jul 17, 4:57 PM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 1,359 Thanks
    Car 54
    Wrong. My Minor's Speedo is more accurate than my everyday driver.
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller
    Current regulations forbid a speedo to under-read, so manufacturers will aim to over-read slightly.

When your Minor was built, the regs allowed 10% either way, so the makers aimed for accuracy.

However, the ability of Morris/BMC/BL actually to achieve that consistently is another question! Probably just luck in your case.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 13th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 2,009 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I haven't got GPS but assume that the lorries with their calibrated tachographs have more accurate speedos than me, so if one starts to gain on me I just edge up an mph or two.

I'm not sure how accurate those roadside speed indicators are but they imply my speedo overreads, so I think I'm safe in allowing a very small margin of error.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 13th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 1,359 Thanks
    Car 54
    I haven't got GPS but assume that the lorries with their calibrated tachographs have more accurate speedos than me, so if one starts to gain on me I just edge up an mph or two.
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    The lorry may have an accurate speedo, but that doesn't mean it's doing 50. The driver knows he can drive flat out at an accurate 56, since the starting point for prosecution is 57. So you'll be on the brink of the prosecution limit ....
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 13th Jul 17, 6:27 PM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    My merc was always within 2 mph so an indicated 57 was actually 55. My new car the Mazda CX-5 is about 4mph out from what I've seen.

As far as the OP is concerned, it al depends what other traffic is around, and how far the HGV driver has got in his overtake. If you have someone up your chuff it leaves yo with little choice.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 13th Jul 17, 6:43 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob

Originally posted by Shaka_Zulu
    thats really dumb in this case. all 50mph motorways (under roadworks) are congested and when there is congestion that rule is silly to follow.

every time ive been all lanes were full, all doing roughly the same speed. the exception being sometimes the odd driver does 51mph and is on te outside lane. in which case you pull to one side and let them through and then go back to the outside lane
    • waamo
    • By waamo 13th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 1,957 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    waamo
    Trucks aren't allowed in the outside lane.
    This space for hire.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

929Posts Today

7,277Users online

Martin's Twitter