Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MargaretBrazear
    • By MargaretBrazear 13th Jul 17, 12:35 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MargaretBrazear
    Barclays is a joke!
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:35 PM
    Barclays is a joke! 13th Jul 17 at 12:35 PM
    After about 15 years with Lloyds, I got totally fed up with them. I am a pensioner so money goes in every week without fail yet if something is one penny over the balance they won't pay it. They are not averse to charging me £8 to send it back though, even if it puts me way overdrawn. The final straw came when my debit card expired and they didn't send me a contactless one. I don't particularly want one, but I got one from NatWest when I opened an account straight away.

Anyway, I decided I'd had enough and applied to Barclays for an account. This has the advantage of crediting my pension on Saturday instead of the Monday like Lloyds. I got confirmation, went online and saw my account there so I attempted to open a savings account. I got the message that I couldn't do that because I didn't have an account from which to transfer money. I rang, got a nice lady who said she had no idea why that was and opened the savings account. Fine; I went online to try to transfer some money from the current account, but was told I couldn't transfer because I only had one account, the savings account. Very worrying since the current account was looking at me with a £200 balance.

I rang again, got a man who told me I'd have to go to a branch with my card and get it authorised. WTF? The nearest branch is six miles away and what if I don't have a car? Sorry, you have to go to a branch. They offered to send someone round, but I declined. I drove to the nearest branch where the cashier hadn't a clue what I was talking about and neither did anyone else there.

Came back, phoned again, got told I shouldn't have been told to go to the branch and that the reason my new account wasn't recognised was because it hadn't been set up properly. He set it up, I asked him who was going to pay for my fuel to drive to the nearest branch, and was credited with £10.

On further investigation I found that I could get a cash card to go with the savings account but I couldn't find any way to apply for one. I sent them a message via their secure system and was told...wait for it...that I would have to go to a branch. I replied that I'd already wasted my time with that, thanks. Then I got a reply saying no, I shouldn't have been told that, and they sent me a card and promised me some flowers. That was two months ago and I'm still waiting.

Then someone rang about my many complaints, credited me with £25 compensation and apologised. Is there anything else I can help you with? He said. Yes, the phone app doesn't work. I can get it to hook up to the online banking as a pin machine thingy, but not get into it for anything else. Oh, he says, that always takes a few days. It still doesn't work and now I can't even use it for the pin thing.

I wanted to switch everything over, but was told I couldn't use their switching service once the account was opened. I'm glad I didn't now because I wouldn't trust them with everything.

Just thought I'd warn anyone who is thinking of changing to Barclays. I have now opened a second account with Natwest instead.
    Last edited by MargaretBrazear; 13-07-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Page 1
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 13th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    • 2,335 Posts
    • 1,555 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    I have now opened a second account with Natwest instead.
    Originally posted by MargaretBrazear
    Do you want me to tell you about my experiences with Natwest?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 13th Jul 17, 2:39 PM
    • 3,288 Posts
    • 1,749 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:39 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:39 PM
    After about 15 years with Lloyds, I got totally fed up with them. I am a pensioner so money goes in every week without fail yet if something is one penny over the balance they won't pay it. They are not averse to charging me £8 to send it back though, even if it puts me way overdrawn. The final straw came when my debit card expired and they didn't send me a contactless one. I don't particularly want one, but I got one from NatWest when I opened an account straight away.

Anyway, I decided I'd had enough and applied to Barclays for an account. This has the advantage of crediting my pension on Saturday instead of the Monday like Lloyds. I got confirmation, went online and saw my account there so I attempted to open a savings account. I got the message that I couldn't do that because I didn't have an account from which to transfer money. I rang, got a nice lady who said she had no idea why that was and opened the savings account. Fine; I went online to try to transfer some money from the current account, but was told I couldn't transfer because I only had one account, the savings account. Very worrying since the current account was looking at me with a £200 balance.

I rang again, got a man who told me I'd have to go to a branch with my card and get it authorised. WTF? The nearest branch is six miles away and what if I don't have a car? Sorry, you have to go to a branch. They offered to send someone round, but I declined. I drove to the nearest branch where the cashier hadn't a clue what I was talking about and neither did anyone else there.

Came back, phoned again, got told I shouldn't have been told to go to the branch and that the reason my new account wasn't recognised was because it hadn't been set up properly. He set it up, I asked him who was going to pay for my fuel to drive to the nearest branch, and was credited with £10.

On further investigation I found that I could get a cash card to go with the savings account but I couldn't find any way to apply for one. I sent them a message via their secure system and was told...wait for it...that I would have to go to a branch. I replied that I'd already wasted my time with that, thanks. Then I got a reply saying no, I shouldn't have been told that, and they sent me a card and promised me some flowers. That was two months ago and I'm still waiting.

Then someone rang about my many complaints, credited me with £25 compensation and apologised. Is there anything else I can help you with? He said. Yes, the phone app doesn't work. I can get it to hook up to the online banking as a pin machine thingy, but not get into it for anything else. Oh, he says, that always takes a few days. It still doesn't work and now I can't even use it for the pin thing.

I wanted to switch everything over, but was told I couldn't use their switching service once the account was opened. I'm glad I didn't now because I wouldn't trust them with everything.

Just thought I'd warn anyone who is thinking of changing to Barclays. I have now opened a second account with Natwest instead.
    Originally posted by MargaretBrazear
    So based on the above Lloyds are not so bad after all. I have been with them for about 30 years and never have any issues. However I am very organised.
    • B_G_B
    • By B_G_B 13th Jul 17, 5:23 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    B_G_B
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:23 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:23 PM
    I would certainly have accounts spread across at least 2 banking institutions, just in case of IT glitch for example, especially if Natwest are one of those institutions.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 14th Jul 17, 8:34 AM
    • 3,288 Posts
    • 1,749 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:34 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:34 AM
    I would certainly have accounts spread across at least 2 banking institutions, just in case of IT glitch for example, especially if Natwest are one of those institutions.
    Originally posted by B_G_B
    Thats why I have about 5 or 6 different banks.
    • Archi Bald
    • By Archi Bald 14th Jul 17, 9:28 AM
    • 9,347 Posts
    • 7,394 Thanks
    Archi Bald
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:28 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:28 AM
    I don't particularly like Barclays as they offer so few benefits (interest on current accounts etc) compared with others. Of the over a dozen accounts I have, Barclays has, however, been one of the easier ones to set up and it's always been working like clockwork. I also quite like Lloyds.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,331Posts Today

8,300Users online

Martin's Twitter