Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 13th Jul 17, 12:08 PM
    • 7,786Posts
    • 26,115Thanks
    Primrose
    Greying underwear
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:08 PM
    Greying underwear 13th Jul 17 at 12:08 PM
    Any magic solutions for bringing back some rather greying but perfectly good underwear back to a nice white condition again?

Will soaking in Vanish or bleach do the trick?. Am rather worried bleach might damage the elastic parts. Thanks.
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Jul 17, 12:37 PM
    • 60,674 Posts
    • 354,716 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:37 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:37 PM
    Napisan was recommended on this thread for a white linen coat that'd yellowed.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5664388
    • elf06
    • By elf06 13th Jul 17, 12:48 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 15,138 Thanks
    elf06
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:48 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:48 PM
    I once managed to wash all DS's school whites, my bra and my work clothes with an inky pen (not a biro type the kind that has the ink in an internal chamber). I was furious with myself as I'd checked pockets and things! Anyway I tried to order new school clothes and couldnt get any in his size over the weekend so I resorted to cheap 50p bleach in the sink. It worked!! I'd not recommend it for weekly washing or anything but in an emergency it saved me!! I was worried about the elastic but after soaking I just made sure I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed.....you get the idea!
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 23,905 Posts
    • 50,146 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    I'd be more concerned about the risk of a skin reaction than the elastic.

Everyone has once-whites that are now less than Dulux Brilliant White, its nowt to be ashamed of.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 9,348 Posts
    • 17,789 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    this older thread may help. Do let us know what works

Zip
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• jackyann
    • By jackyann 13th Jul 17, 2:49 PM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 6,553 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:49 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:49 PM
    I think that using Vanish just once or twice won't harm the elastic.
    I keep my whites white by never washing them with any other colour. That way.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    • 15,493 Posts
    • 126,277 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    how about dying them a different colour
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 13th Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    • 4,691 Posts
    • 20,307 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    I seem to recall seeing something on TV many, many years ago, might have been on Tomorrow's World (remember that?). White clothing has 'optical brighteners' on it - basically little bits of chemical that reflect the light and make it look all shiny white, rather than the fabric itself. I think you'll even see them listed in washing powder ingredients. The problem is that washing the clothes washes out these optical brightners, and once they've gone, they've pretty much gone, despite trying to stick new ones on with washing powder. So the answer is wash your white less to keep them whiter for longer.
    • helcat26
    • By helcat26 13th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 2,703 Thanks
    helcat26
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    You can get that stuff for net curtains- Glo-White

It really depends on the fabric the underwear is made of. If it is cotton bleach might rot it, and it also does not help elasticated fibres.

Some underwear fabric - like the sheer tuff in things like this
    http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/lingerie/white-floral-embroidered-thong_520078619

Seems to be a dye magnet. Even if you wash white separately it seems to pick up anything residual in the drum.

On the bright side Gossard are having a sale.
    I am sorry Primrose I am assuming you are a lady
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 13th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    • 7,786 Posts
    • 26,115 Thanks
    Primrose
    I have just soaked the greying items in a Vanish solution of hot water for 3 hours and hung them out on the line to dry. They do look much better !
    • gonebust
    • By gonebust 13th Jul 17, 6:13 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    gonebust
    I learned years ago that the only way to keep white undies white, was to was them completely separate

I could have a bra sitting in my laundry bin a month before there are enough delicate whites to form a wash

99% of undies are now black for said reason

And in this day and age where bra straps are perfectally acceptable to be on show, I'm not worrying about wearing a black bra under a light top
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 13th Jul 17, 6:22 PM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 6,553 Thanks
    jackyann
    I use 'eco friendly' laundry liquid that doesn't contain optical brighteners, and honestly, my whites stay white.
    I bought quite a lot of white bras & knickers (not quite a month's worth!) so that, along with the odd white shirt, I can make a wash.
    Until I got my lovely present washing machine, I washed underwear, especially bras, in the shower.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 13th Jul 17, 6:37 PM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 7,860 Thanks
    pogofish
    Always buy black undies.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 13th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    • 15,276 Posts
    • 62,622 Thanks
    Judi
    a squirt of lemon juice in with the wash. Goes without saying you wash whites seperately to coloureds.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 13th Jul 17, 10:49 PM
    • 3,002 Posts
    • 4,517 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    Always buy black undies.
    Originally posted by pogofish
    And socks.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 13th Jul 17, 10:52 PM
    • 3,002 Posts
    • 4,517 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    And socks.
    Originally posted by sillyvixen
    I have a few nude colour bras (all though most of my undies are black) they don't discolour and look better under white clothes than white bras.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 14th Jul 17, 7:14 AM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 6,553 Thanks
    jackyann
    Depends what colour you are nude.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 14th Jul 17, 7:29 AM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 13,989 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    I add a couple of blue items to the white wash in the hope that if any dye escapes it might brighten the whites, a bit like the little blue bag that my nan had to swish in the rinsing water.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 14th Jul 17, 11:38 AM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 7,860 Thanks
    pogofish
    And socks.
    Originally posted by sillyvixen
    I do accept a little variation there but yes, still the darker colours are best - but I tend to wear through socks a lot faster than I do underpants, so greying is less of an issue..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

711Posts Today

6,613Users online

Martin's Twitter