Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • abishek
    • By abishek 13th Jul 17, 12:02 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    abishek
    Scammers alert: loans
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:02 PM
    Scammers alert: loans 13th Jul 17 at 12:02 PM
    I had applied for a loan from low rate loans for a sum of £700, they then called from India and said I would need to pay £87 which is 1 month upfront as my credit score is bad and they want to know that I can afford to pay it so I did. Then another person called saying he was the manager and asked me to pay another £149 and they will refund it and send me £849. This was for corporate tax purposes apparently which is when I pulled the plug. I told them I wasn't told this before I paid £87, the guy told me my loan will be in my account within 15 mins of paying £87 but then said they were unaware that I had to pay £149 due to my credit score and their system wouldn't allow them to process payment unless I paid in more. They did not accept a card payment over the phone, so I had to make a Bank transfer payment which means I can't now get my money back. They are regulated by Financial Conduct Authority and their website looks perfectly fine. It is a sister company of Quint Ltd based in the UK. These guys have many sister sites, and have already conned others with the same tactics. When I finally found their number and called them they are trying to tell me someone cloned it and it has nothing to do with them. I find it hard to believe that this same BS has happened on many occasions under different names!

Why have they not been shut down yet. Complained to Action Fraud and the Financial Conduct Authority, who have started an investigation. Hopefully this is the end for these scum.

Mad as hell
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Jul 17, 12:22 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 12,621 Thanks
    zx81
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:22 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:22 PM
    Rule #1.

Lenders lend you money. You don't lend it to them first.

People will fall for this until the end of time.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 13th Jul 17, 1:20 PM
    • 819 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:20 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:20 PM
    Low rate loans? Hmmmm.......should change it to no rate loans, because no one ever actually gets one.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 13th Jul 17, 3:07 PM
    • 6,563 Posts
    • 8,050 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:07 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:07 PM

Mad as hell
    Originally posted by abishek
    Absolutely insane to try and borrow in such a manner.
    • venison
    • By venison 13th Jul 17, 8:38 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    venison
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:38 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:38 PM
    <shakes head>
    #WeStandTogether
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th Jul 17, 10:37 PM
    • 29,515 Posts
    • 18,661 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:37 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:37 PM
    Nothing new there OP, you need get more up to date on the other scams around.

OP any lender or broker who says they need x amount of money to progress the loan, dont do it.

Why did you not approach your bank ?

Maybe you need to consider looking at your spending and cut back.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 14-07-2017 at 8:18 AM.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 13th Jul 17, 11:51 PM
    • 2,955 Posts
    • 1,939 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:51 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:51 PM
    LowRateLoans is a credit broker:

LowRatesLoan is promoted by Monevo Ltd and acting as a credit broker, will receive a commission direct from the lender or broker we introduce you to, Monevo Ltd trading as Monevo.
    Basically, they collect punter's details and sell them on to bottom feeding 'lenders' and, oddly, other brokers.

Calls from Indian call centres asking for money rarely end happily.

OP will likely be on a suckers list now.
    • 27cool
    • By 27cool 19th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    27cool
    • 19th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    • 19th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    The mere fact that they mentioned your "credit score" should have set off warning bells. Because you are the only one who can see this fictitious number.
    Perhaps you should be asking someone to explain the basic facts about personal finance before you fall for yet another scam.
    Did you at no time think that it was strange, that a firm you were trying to borrow money from, was asking you to send them some money.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 19th Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    • 8,271 Posts
    • 12,532 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 19th Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    • 19th Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    Why don't people just call their bank (or go online) and say "I'd like to borrow £700 please"- how hard can it be?
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 19th Jul 17, 7:16 PM
    • 1,562 Posts
    • 2,306 Thanks
    Robisere
    Sometimes the whole "NEWBIE ALERT" notification, is completely ignored by responders here.

No one can tell, from the OP's post, how desperate they are for money. OP gave this post as information, having already learned a big, expensive mistake. abishek, please check all your emails thoroughly, you may be on a "suckers list" as SnowTiger says. I advise changing all your passwords ASAP, beginning with your email address(es), which you should also change.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,398Posts Today

7,791Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin