Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rox
    • By rox 13th Jul 17, 11:52 AM
    • 23Posts
    • 8Thanks
    rox
    MET PArking services appeal on website but no response, but now threatening court
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:52 AM
    MET PArking services appeal on website but no response, but now threatening court 13th Jul 17 at 11:52 AM
    Hi,

I received a PCN from MET parking services for an incident that took place at the end of March, went to McDonalds in Gatwick airport before collecting my family as I was early. On the way out after collecting we all went back as they were hungry. You cant go back within 60 minutes apparently even if you're buying food.

So I sent an appeal off on their website using the draft from the forums and requested a POPLA code, it was sent beginning of May after I received a reminder as I had totally forgotten. They gave me a reference number on the website which I noted down as didn't receive any confirmation email.

I hadn't heard anything at all until yesterday when I received a letter saying i have seven days to pay £100 or debt/recovery agents will be instructed to secure immediate payment or the issuing of court proceedings. They also state POPLA is no longer available?

So I dont understand why they have ignored my request for a POPLA code and say it is no longer available, it has been nearly two months since having any correspondence with them.

What should I do at this stage?

Thanks in advance for any help.

BR
Page 1
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 13th Jul 17, 1:27 PM
    • 40,228 Posts
    • 80,317 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:27 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:27 PM
    Complain to the BPA and DVLA that you never received a PoPLA code. Send a copy of your complaint to MET.

Ignore debt collectors.

If you get real court papers then start researching how to defend it using the information about court in the NEWBIES thread, especially the link by bargepole to his most excellent court guide.

Did you use the appeal template from the NEWBIES or the dreadful "official MSE" one that gives away the driver's identity?

If the alleged event occurred within the grounds of the airport then byelaws may apply, in which case court is extremely unlikely as it would have to be from the landowner in the magistrates court, and for trespass.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 13-07-2017 at 1:30 PM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • rox
    • By rox 13th Jul 17, 2:12 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    rox
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:12 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:12 PM
    Complain to the BPA and DVLA that you never received a PoPLA code. Send a copy of your complaint to MET.

Ignore debt collectors.

If you get real court papers then start researching how to defend it using the information about court in the NEWBIES thread, especially the link by bargepole to his most excellent court guide.

Did you use the appeal template from the NEWBIES or the dreadful "official MSE" one that gives away the driver's identity?

If the alleged event occurred within the grounds of the airport then byelaws may apply, in which case court is extremely unlikely as it would have to be from the landowner in the magistrates court, and for trespass.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    I used the one from newbies thread, I didn't give any driver identity and i know this isn't a mistake on their part as there were two cars and I have dealt with the appeals process for both and the same thing has happened with both appeals, no POPLA code and cars are at different addresses. So this must be something they do to scare people into paying.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    • 48,983 Posts
    • 62,471 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    i know this isn't a mistake on their part as there were two cars and I have dealt with the appeals process for both and the same thing has happened with both appeals, no POPLA code and cars are at different addresses. So this must be something they do to scare people into paying.
    Indeed, and say that to the BPA and DVLA:

aos@britishparking.co.uk

david.dunford@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

Tell them once could be excused as a POPLA code going missing in the post. Twice is NO SUCH THING.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• rox
    • By rox 14th Jul 17, 10:44 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    rox
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:44 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:44 AM
    I was looking at the back of the latest reminder and it states that an appeal must be received within 28 days of the initial correspondence to be treated as a formal appeal with recourse to POPLA. I replied after their second, which was around 40 plus days after the incident. Should i still go ahead and complain and leave the dates of replying out?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Jul 17, 3:21 PM
    • 48,983 Posts
    • 62,471 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:21 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:21 PM
    Not sure why you are prevaricating about the complaint, just do it and no need to mention dates.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• rox
    • By rox 1st Aug 17, 11:27 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    rox
    • 1st Aug 17, 11:27 AM
    • 1st Aug 17, 11:27 AM
    So I got in touch with the DVLA and BPA, only BPA responded saying they cant assist;

We note you advise you did not receive a copy of the appeal outcomes in response to the 2 appeals you submitted. Unfortunately we are unable to ascertain whether mail (or an email) has or has not been sent or received by either party.
    As it is not currently a requirement of the Code that the operator sends mail using recorded delivery (or requests a delivery receipt for an email), we cannot advise there to be a breach of the Code.

We do not have systems in place that allow us to determine if one of our 111 Approved Operators has issued all correspondence correctly.

So they were absolutely no help at all, ridiculous.

So I also forwarded the email to MET, I still haven't received a response from them regarding that. Instead they sent a "Final reminder" saying if payment isn't made within 14 days solicitors/debt recovery agents or court proceedings may be issued. My brother-in-law received the same notice with no reply to him either.

Now what I want to know is how likely are either of these things will happen?

My time is valuable and I really don't want to pay this PCN or get letters from debt collectors or go to court, any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by rox; 01-08-2017 at 11:32 AM.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 1st Aug 17, 11:38 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 2,309 Thanks
    waamo
    • 1st Aug 17, 11:38 AM
    • 1st Aug 17, 11:38 AM
    Current odds of going to court can be found here

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/MET_Parking_Services.html

They have 6 years to file a claim so this could change in the future.
    This space for hire.
    • rox
    • By rox 1st Aug 17, 12:09 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    rox
    • 1st Aug 17, 12:09 PM
    • 1st Aug 17, 12:09 PM
    Current odds of going to court can be found here

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/MET_Parking_Services.html

They have 6 years to file a claim so this could change in the future.
    Originally posted by waamo
    Thanks for that, so looks like they have never taken anyone to court!

In terms of debt collection agencies, someone said just ignore them, but wont they keep sending letters, telephoning etc and do they have a right to enforce the debt by coming into your home? Or is it a similar case that they never actuially send any solicitor/debt recovery letters.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 1st Aug 17, 12:15 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 2,309 Thanks
    waamo
    They cannot enter your home. They won't turn up on your doorstep either. Not without a court saying they can.

They do send lots of letters. Are you scared of getting letters?
    This space for hire.
    • rox
    • By rox 1st Aug 17, 12:29 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    rox
    They cannot enter your home. They won't turn up on your doorstep either. Not without a court saying they can.

They do send lots of letters. Are you scared of getting letters?
    Originally posted by waamo
    lol not scared of getting letters, as long as I know they can't do anything unless courts are involved then fair enough.

In terms of credit history, these debt recovery agencies or solicitors don't leave anything on your profile that could effect mortgage applications or other applications. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't but just want to be sure.

So my current stance should be to ignore anything else that is sent to me as they don't have a leg to stand on unless I receive court papers?

thanks again
    • waamo
    • By waamo 1st Aug 17, 12:37 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 2,309 Thanks
    waamo
    They don't report to credit reference agencies either. This is an alleged debt as opposed to something like a credit card bill you haven't paid. They haven't offered you credit so the agencies aren't interested.
    This space for hire.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,116Posts Today

8,870Users online

Martin's Twitter