Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alun4
    • By alun4 13th Jul 17, 11:28 AM
    • 453Posts
    • 107Thanks
    alun4
    0 WOW
    France Gite "Holidays Wanted" Website does anything like it still exist?
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:28 AM
    0 WOW
    France Gite "Holidays Wanted" Website does anything like it still exist? 13th Jul 17 at 11:28 AM
    We travel LAST MINUTE! About a decade ago we had a number of successes by posting requirements .... dishwasher, private pool etc on a Website that I recall was named Holidays Wanted or similar. We are in the same position this year (except the kids have grown up so it is only the 2 of us) and looking for a week from 5th August mid way down (not coast or busy tourist area) ... we will be coming from a week in The Alps (already booked)

Going on the main Gite Sites is very frustrating as so many don't update availability etc. and the exchange of enquiry email time also frustrating!

This was particularly good as it was the owners looking to fill after a cancellation or last minute or similar and were usually discounting (which as MSE followers we like!)

Can anyone point me to a similar site that does this sort of thing?
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 13th Jul 17, 11:37 AM
    • 17,886 Posts
    • 7,302 Thanks
    richardw
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:37 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:37 AM
    Airbnb seems to have taken over on self catering holidays.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • alun4
    • By alun4 13th Jul 17, 1:15 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    alun4
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:15 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:15 PM
    I see what you mean, but it is different (the other way around!) in that we are looking for owners with last minute availability to "bargain" with us .... already knowing the criteria we are hoping for.
    Most of the listings on airbnb seem to be overnight with breakfast rather than holiday cottage but I guess that is us doing the donkey work rather that the owner posting last minute Gite availability
    • richardw
    • By richardw 13th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 17,886 Posts
    • 7,302 Thanks
    richardw
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    The travel industry has significantly moved away from supplying 'last minute' and to a 'book early get the best price' position.

Airbnb is enormous with useful filter and map functions and has all sorts of possibilities which are difficult to generalise.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,533Posts Today

7,046Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin