Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beaker141
    • By beaker141 13th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 450Posts
    • 182Thanks
    beaker141
    Lottery Win - where would you bank it all?
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    Lottery Win - where would you bank it all? 13th Jul 17 at 10:57 AM
    I havent won the lottery, but if our syndicate did win, say £2m each, where do you put such a large sum of money?

Given each financial institution will only guarantee upto I think 85k under FSA protection, how do you keep it all safe?

Do you have to accept the element of risk inherrent, spread it around all the financial institutions, then into stocks/shares etc?
Page 2
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 14th Jul 17, 10:36 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 888 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    It really does not always buy happiness, but it can put down a deposit towards it, if you don't forget who you are and where you began.
    inserted the missing word for you

given 10s of millions of people have stress due to finances, to say been relieved of that stress doesnt make you happier is a bit misleading

not to mention the amount of people stuck in a job they hate.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 15th Jul 17, 6:33 AM
    • 9,362 Posts
    • 5,983 Thanks
    bigadaj
    It may not always buy you happiness but some people have a lot of fun on the journey in finding that out.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 15th Jul 17, 2:43 PM
    • 6,904 Posts
    • 7,341 Thanks
    AnotherJoe

Given each financial institution will only guarantee upto I think 85k under FSA protection, how do you keep it all safe?
    Originally posted by beaker141
    Things you need to worry about / manage in order

1st. Health
    2nd. Relationships
    3rd. Planning your finances
    234,635th Being dragged into sea and devoured by giant squid whilst sunbathing on beach reading book "how to win the lottery"
    1,345,953th Being abducted by aliens for purposes of "probing"
    45,057,474th Financial consequences of winning the UK lottery

HTH
    Last edited by AnotherJoe; 15-07-2017 at 2:46 PM.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 15th Jul 17, 2:58 PM
    • 1,361 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    I would put a lot of it into land and property.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 15th Jul 17, 5:03 PM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 2,333 Thanks
    Robisere
    [QUOTE=Chrysalis;72839439]inserted the missing word for you

Did not need an insertion, thank you! I know what I said and I know exactly what I meant. My family and I have had a long, hard struggle to become solvent, but we were all just as happy with each other when we had to sell our home and move into rented. Now we are free from most money worries, but never more than just comfortable, we are no happier than we were then. Both my wife and I lost jobs through disability, which cost us the house. Both kids married the wrong person and that cost them everything but their children. We all moved to a much nicer country area and what we have left is what we had before, only stronger: a solid, happy family unit, with new members being drawn in via relationships. We have a "do" at every family birthday, but don't spend what we don't have. As the newest Member (gdaughter's partner) put it: "You guys are the happiest people I know."

Having a big win would make no impact upon that happiness, one way or another. It would be very good to be rich, but how it would make us happier, is debatable. It would certainly remove some slight financial pressures and allow us all to buy more and better "things" but so what? Happiness for me, is watching and listening to our close family, all talking, laughing and enjoying each other's company. It's walking and playing on the beach with grandchildren, after a picnic shared by all of us. That cannot be bought.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 18th Jul 17, 8:30 AM
    • 1,361 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    [QUOTE=Robisere;72842088]
    inserted the missing word for you

Having a big win would make no impact upon that happiness, one way or another. It would be very good to be rich, but how it would make us happier, is debatable. It would certainly remove some slight financial pressures and allow us all to buy more and better "things" but so what? Happiness for me, is watching and listening to our close family, all talking, laughing and enjoying each other's company. It's walking and playing on the beach with grandchildren, after a picnic shared by all of us. That cannot be bought.
    Originally posted by Chrysalis
    I agree to an extent, though for a lot of people removing the stress of how to pay their bills, combined with freedom to do more nice things with friends and family will make them happier.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

1,485Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin