Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • clairev
    • By clairev 13th Jul 17, 10:32 AM
    • 158Posts
    • 33Thanks
    clairev
    Buying used car with RAC warranty
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:32 AM
    Buying used car with RAC warranty 13th Jul 17 at 10:32 AM
    Hi we're in process of buying a used car from an RAC approved dealer. They're offering a year's warranty for an additional £300. Have done a quick Google and many old reports saying not worth it as there are strict rules that enable them to get out (i.e. Has to be dealership services) if anyone can help with advice please TIA (it's a volvo v50 drive with full dealership service history but we will probably not got to main dealer for servicing!)
    something missing
Page 1
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 13th Jul 17, 10:38 AM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:38 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:38 AM
    Most of these warranties on used vehicles don't actually cover anything that is likely to go wrong OR cover items that are expensive to fix. The most common exemption being electrical and ECU faults, which when modern cars are literally computers on wheels, makes a warranty pretty useless.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 13th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    • 2,828 Posts
    • 1,743 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    Before paying for the warranty, ask for a copy of the document and have a good read. In particular, look for what isn't covered.

All too often, anything that is ever likely to go wrong is excluded.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 13th Jul 17, 10:40 PM
    • 8,770 Posts
    • 13,391 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:40 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:40 PM
    Just put the £300 in the bank, should you need it for a garage bill. Can't see a used warranty being worth the paper it's printed on.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • clairev
    • By clairev 14th Jul 17, 10:46 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    clairev
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:46 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:46 AM
    We decided to not purchase the rac warranty but they gave us it free of charge in the end!???!!
    something missing
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 14th Jul 17, 11:56 AM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:56 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:56 AM
    ^^ Sounds like sneaky upselling to me.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • The Warranty Group
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:28 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:28 PM
    Hi Claire,

Hello from The Warranty Group - We’re the administrator for RAC Warranties. It sounds like you’ve purchased your car, so congratulations!

When considering an RAC Warranty, be sure to read through the Terms & Conditions to make sure that the cover is suitable for you and your car. The dealer can give you advice on the cover, so talk it through with them and raise any specific issues you may have or be concerned about.

There are a few different cover levels available with an RAC Warranty, from Silver, Gold to Platinum. Modern cars can sometimes have 20+ ECUs. A Platinum warranty has the best coverage on these, Gold covers slightly less and Silver doesn't cover any ECU work. A dealer will usually only have one of these cover types available and can tell you which it is they're offering.

It’s often worth taking the car back to the dealer you bought it from in the event of a fault, as they’ll know the history of the car and might be able to get you back on the road quicker, but repairs can be carried out at any VAT registered garage.

We hope that helps!
    Last edited by The Warranty Group; 14-07-2017 at 2:46 PM.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of The Warranty Group. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

360Posts Today

2,963Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin