Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jase888
    • By jase888 13th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    • 36Posts
    • 2Thanks
    jase888
    Gift from parents - do we need both signatures?
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    Gift from parents - do we need both signatures? 13th Jul 17 at 10:04 AM
    Buying a house with my girlfriend and her parents have gifted us £8,000 for the deposit/fees and our solicitor has asked for a letter signed from them.

One issue they have is her dad works abroad on other side of the world so he cant sign the letter, her mums signed it and she is joint account holder and can withdraw funds so will this be ok? Or will our solicitor insist on both?

Thanks
Page 1
    • hunt85
    • By hunt85 13th Jul 17, 10:52 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    hunt85
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:52 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:52 AM
    Just say its a gift from the mum only. Problem solved. They don't care as long as it'sa gift not a loan.
    • jase888
    • By jase888 13th Jul 17, 11:28 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jase888
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:28 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:28 AM
    Just say its a gift from the mum only. Problem solved. They don't care as long as it'sa gift not a loan.
    Originally posted by hunt85
    Thanks for reply, well we at the end of the application and said it was a gift from both earlier on (didnt think at the time). They have the letter addressed to both of them.

Could her mum just reply to the letter stating its a gift just from her and she wont want it back and not mention her husband? She was going to reply saying her husband cant sign it as he away.
    • emlet
    • By emlet 13th Jul 17, 12:03 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    emlet
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:03 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:03 PM
    can it be scanned and emailed to him? He could print it; sign it and send it back?
    • jase888
    • By jase888 13th Jul 17, 12:10 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jase888
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:10 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:10 PM
    can it be scanned and emailed to him? He could print it; sign it and send it back?
    Originally posted by emlet
    We could scan it and email to him but he doesnt have a scanner to sent it back instantly so would need to print and post it. It would take a few weeks to come back id imagine and we need it ASAP.

The house we buying the sellers are really pushing us to get this completed within the next week or so. Not sure whats best really
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 13th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    • 9,738 Posts
    • 3,761 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    Two names on the letter = two signatures

One name on the letter = one signature
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Gotkeys
    • By Gotkeys 13th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Gotkeys
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    We could scan it and email to him but he doesnt have a scanner to sent it back instantly so would need to print and post it. It would take a few weeks to come back id imagine and we need it ASAP.

The house we buying the sellers are really pushing us to get this completed within the next week or so. Not sure whats best really
    Originally posted by jase888

Does he have a mobile phone? He can download a scanner app then email it back I use camscanner which is good, lots of them out there though.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Jul 17, 4:05 PM
    • 7,226 Posts
    • 7,731 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:05 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:05 PM
    There are plenty of apps which will let you take in a signature and put it onto a PDF.

But Id take the path of least resistance and say its now a gift from mother only.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,299Posts Today

8,138Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin